Depressing the brake piston

Yesterday, I replaced the front rotors and brake pads on my wife's 2012 SXT, and reviewed some general on-line info beforehand. One source claimed that depressing the brake piston to fit the new pads wasn't a good idea unless you bled some brake fluid out of the bleed nipple. They claimed that not bleeding fluid could cause damage on ABS systems. I bled a bit just in case, but wonder what others have to say about this, particularly on the Journey (and Dodge Nitro).

Also, I only have some GM brand brake fluid in the garage (Delco Supreme II DOT 3 conforms to GM-4653M CMVSS 116, SAE J1703) but don't see any issue with using it to top up the Journey's reservoir. However, before I do, I'll ask whether anyone knows if there is any issue with this.

i wouldn't use the old fluid first since it seams to be for GM specs, BUT also i never use old or opened that has been opened for a long time. first its not that expensive and i've always been told that a opened bottle tends to collect moisture .Not for sure that's true but its what i've heard...agree with what jkeaton said on removing the cap and then compressing the piston i've never had any problems this way...

Just curious, after you " bled a bit just in case" when you pushed the caliper piston back in, did you bleed the system after you installed the new pads and the calipers? If you opened the sealed hydraulic system, you should make sure you have purged all the air from it.

FWIW, I've never opened a bleed screw to push the pistons back in... use one of the old pads and a large c-clamp. Put the old pad in place and tighten the clamp down until the piston is back in.