Radiator cooling fan not running on low, high coolant temp

whitesxt

I noticed that my coolant was leaning a bit over the half mark and i never saw that before. i checked the temp using the dic and of course the coolant temp was going at around 110 (230) degree before the fan would kick on and bring back the temperature of coolant to at around 100, doing the same over and over.

I got the car in a the dealership and had it diagnosed, they told me the fan would not run on low and the fan controller needed to be changed. 800$ later, its doing the same thing. only kicking on high at 110.

Now, what else could cause this? relay? im not under warranty and i already dumped that money in and its not fixed.

This happened to me in my sebring which is what the platform of the journey is based on. First thing I did was get used fans from a salvage yard for $100 and installed them myself (really easy and only took an hour ish). Low fan motor usually goes really quickly since it is the one that comes on first and the most. you might want to try that route if the dealership wont fix it for free since they charged you $800 for something that wasn't the problem.

This happened to me in my sebring which is what the platform of the journey is based on. First thing I did was get used fans from a salvage yard for $100 and installed them myself (really easy and only took an hour ish). Low fan motor usually goes really quickly since it is the one that comes on first and the most. you might want to try that route if the dealership wont fix it for free since they charged you $800 for something that wasn't the problem.

thats what they changed, fan and control module. its going back in

Actually the Journey is based on architecture that underpinned the last-generation Chrysler 200 and former Dodge Avenger. The platform is sourced from Mitsubishi and shared with several of its models, including the Outlander crossovers and the Lancer.

Edited by jkeaton

You should check again my good sir. 07-10 Sebring used that also. Lol I'm a mopar man. I know my ish lol my first car almost 20 years ago was a 96 avenger with the mitsu 2.5 v6. Loved that car. Then had every gen of Sebring. Lol it's the reason I got the journey after my 07 Sebring died.

Edited by SeanTacular

You are absolutely right. Everything I've read to this point says Avenger until I stumbled upon a car gurus review which stated the Sebring, Avenger and Journey share the same platform. I had a 99 Sebring convertible which is what I was thinking of first before remembering the Sebring was made up until 2010. I miss that Sebring. I stand corrected. Sorry for the thread hijack, OP. Learn something new every day. : )

Edited by jkeaton

that was a nice sebring. did it have the dual exhaust? I remember there being a year when the convertible has duals and it looked awesome. I put duals on my second Gen JR platform sebring just cuz I saw a convertible with it. it looked stock because the tips were tiny. I had all gens but always sedans. JX, JR, and JS. platforms. Even had a cirrus for a couple months I bought used for cheap and then I found out why! hahaha

Hopefully your dealer will also be reimbursing you for the faulty diagnosis as well as for the parts - you don't pay them for guessing.

I went back, they worked on the car for like another 2 hours. found out it was a resistor. they didn't charge me for anything. Part was 65$, about an hour of diag + the scan plus installation. At the end, if the fan and controller was still good, its costed me about 400 too much to fix it. i brought it up and of course his response was that the controller of the fan was really broken and resistor probably burnt all at the same time. can i prove this? no sure. live and learn. the good, fan and controller/relays, resistor is all new and its working. its the first time i drive a car outside of warranty and this is going to be its only chance lol

Edited by whitesxt