Sound on Sat, but AM/FM is dead

My 2012 has the most basic 4.3 audio system. The other day the radio just stopped playing. Mostly it makes no sound at all, but sometimes turning up the volume will give some static such as you'd hear between stations. It also won't hit any stations while scanning. It's as if the tuner has died. The SAT system works, though. Sound and everything. So that really seems to point to the radio tuner function only.

After searching here, I disconnected the battery for a half hour. No change. It's out of warranty. Is there anything else for me to do or check before going to the dealer?

Edited by snowman9000

Also, check to make sure that the antenna cable is inserted tightly into the back of the radio. There should be a small square plug in the middle of the back of the radio. Make sure this is plugged in tightly. These short antennas are powered. A normal AM/FM antenna is 31" long. Thus, they have to power these short antenna to increase the reception. The small square plug in the middle is the power for the antenna. Your other option would be to pull down the headliner in the rear, to gain access; to make sure everything is plugged in as it should be.

contact oemautopartsco.com they specialize in Dealer take outs and refurbished radios. If a code is needed, they will give it to you. They bench test every radio and if there are scratches on the screen, they will replace it. Good people to deal with. I have purchased 3 radios from them. They do sell on ebay.

Edited by dhh3

I just got back from the dealer, trying to get the code for my own radio. Maybe it didn't have one, who knows. But I didn't have any code in my paperwork. It took them a long time and finally they got me a code. I asked about the salvage radio scenario, where I would give them the VIN of the salvage vehicle. They said it would not work. I suspect they just don't know. But still, it doesn't make me confident about buying a salvage radio. I will check with the seller mentioned above. My position is going to be, if the radio needs a code, I want the seller to provide it. Because the local dealer is not going to be any help on this.

OK. It's official. Your dealer is clueless.

You don't need the VIN of the donor vehicle, but that of the one you are installing the radio into - and the seller can't provide it unless he has access to the serial numbering system;

What you DO need is the serial number of the new radio - the combination of the VIN for your vehicle and serial of the new radio is used to generate the unlock code IF the radio you buy requires it - if it comes from a vehicle made before about 2/3 the way through the 2012 model year you won't need it . . . and you'll find out when you go to install it - and you already KNOW how easy that is.

By the way, remember that you'll also need to transfer your Sirius subscription to the new radio . . . . and verify that you are buying a radio with the Sirius module . . . there are LOTS of part numbers and it isn't always obvious. But the basic model you want is the REB. The catalog, or part number is another story.

Here's one I found on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/14-DODGE-JOURNEY-AUDIO-EQUIPMENT-RECEIVER-4-3-TOUCH-SCREEN-AM-FM-CD-MP3-SIRIUS-/351418112218

Check your PMs . . . . I sent you a message.

bramfrank,

Got it, thanks! I bought this one on ebay. It has the exact same p/n as mine. It doesn't mention Sirius but looks like it has the antenna connection for it. I don't subscribe to it anyway, but it always is broadcasting the preview, which my radio was able to receive.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181872533095

Well, your vehicle is 4 years old. That's $30 a year for the radio based on the amount of time you got out of the first one - maybe you should open the old one up and see if maybe there's a board that's become dislodged, some corrosion or whatever . . . . who knows? You might have a spare!! You aren't going to hurt it, since as far as you are concerned it's just a paperweight at this point.

Edited by bramfrank