9006 LED bulbs

Looking to pick your collective brains and any experiences. Next accessory will likely be some LED 9006 low beam bulbs. Some questions.

1 Anyone have heat issues and damage to the headlight itself?

2 I see most have cooling fans, but any fan that might have to operate in potential -20 C (0 F or so) temperatures makes me nervous for it's longevity. Anyone in an area that gets a "real winter" have problems with these fans? (Note; Winter in Alabama isn't Winter.)

3 I do believe fanless bulbs exist or are coming to market. Anyone used these? Problems?

4 Advice?

Many thanks!

H.P.

• 1 month later...

hi I have fan built led for my part they worked fine at -30 degres, but it can be more cooler ,,, so far so good

I will put the link for u to tcheck up

they said their product go to -40

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015-NEW-Super-Bright-3600lm-Bulb-6000k-Car-LED-Headlight-9005-9006-model-ip68-Car-Light/32278694851.html

I putted these for my low beam and they are canbus, no fail to date, some said that they dont need canbus but I tried HID they wont light up without capacitor.

n.b they can be switch to go 9005 too.

To me, they have the same pattern as regular bulbs. No cut off that I can tell. Just much brighter. I will say the ones I have on with the cooling fans are very noisy. I'll probably spring for those ones with the heat sink next time.

Thanks, do you have a picture that i can see? Perhaps car either facing a garage or a wall with the headlights on.

Thanks again

Thanks, do you have a picture that i can see? Perhaps car either facing a garage or a wall with the headlights on.

Thanks again

Yea, I know I gotta do that. I should have taken a before shot too.

I can offer this though:

Old yellow fogs and original headlights:

7170FD2C-456D-452C-AAFD-0FC3DE6AE5D7_zps

LED everything:

ED3E741C-E4D2-4195-B222-2DEFC1660008_zps

Edited by jkeaton

Yup - the only way to validate the installation is with a hard shot that shows the cutoff - and if there's light above the line or the line is fuzzy you are dazzling oncoming traffic, not to mention that unless you install an approved projector assembly you are technically not road legal..

That's why I went HIR - all other filament bulbs are either blue-died wannabes with short lifespans or they are high wattage, which is tough on the wiring and reflectors.

Very curious as to how they look, please grab a low beam only, high beam only and a combined when you get a chance. I like the simplicity of LED, just as I mentioned before with only a light in each side of the LED it doesn't put out a good distance pattern, usually just an everywhere pattern.

Yup - the only way to validate the installation is with a hard shot that shows the cutoff - and if there's light above the line or the line is fuzzy you are dazzling oncoming traffic, not to mention that unless you install an approved projector assembly you are technically not road legal..

That's why I went HIR - all other filament bulbs are either blue-died wannabes with short lifespans or they are high wattage, which is tough on the wiring and reflectors.

I have heard that HIR have short lifespan as well as they burn brighter and faster, mostly walking about the Sylvania ones from Canadian Tire haha

I have heard that HIR have short lifespan as well as they burn brighter and faster, mostly walking about the Sylvania ones from Canadian Tire haha

HIRs have a rated lifespan of 1400 hours vs 1000 hours for a conventional halogen equivalent.

Sylvania bulbs are not HIR - and those 'blue dye' bulbs (PIAA included) don't actually put out more lumens unless they are high wattage versions - the blue coating on your Silverstars does make them run warmer than a regular 'yellow' bulb which shortens their life span.

So buy proper HIR bulbs like I did and be happy to remain pretty much street legal.

I buy mine from www.candlepowerinc.com

Here's a link to the HIR product page there:

http://store.candlepower.com/hirlighting.html

This is what you want for performance.

Yup, I can't agree more. Did you do this yourself? I live in the TO area and I am afraid of messing other things up so looking to see if I can find a shop to do this. The only problem with them is that I don't know how reliable the projectors will be. I got a quote of 350 with Halo lens projectors for the journey. The shop would need the car for the day to do the retrofitting.

That's right 35 watt HIDs put out ~3200 lumens. 50 watt HIDs produce about 4500 lumens and don't require loading resistors to fool the system, because they are within 10% of the expected load . . . . .

You can get LEDs that deliver up to 15000 lumens - we've delivered LED street lights to replace HPS systems - they are mucho bright.

But the reflector in the Journey doesn't really like either HID or LED lighting - use a properly designed projector to properly deploy an HID solution - I did a bit of poking around and it seems that some companies in the orient are offering projector based LED devices - haven't tried them; haven't even seen pictures of them.

That's why I went HIR. It works perfectly with the vehicle's reflector and produced about 50% more light than stock and the bulbs last almost 50% longer.

Yeah buddy. This is my 5th set I've done. Second on the journey, I did a set on my elantra, my 91/Sierra and a 2015 ram

Yup, I can't agree more. Did you do this yourself? I live in the TO area and I am afraid of messing other things up so looking to see if I can find a shop to do this. The only problem with them is that I don't know how reliable the projectors will be. I got a quote of 350 with Halo lens projectors for the journey. The shop would need the car for the day to do the retrofitting.