First road trip and impressions

priell3

So I have had the Journey one day and did the first half of a 450 mile road trip.

It was mostly highway driving, nearly 4 hours, going from about 200' elevation to 2,000'. The 4 cylinder/6 speed had plenty of power. I was hauling a few hundred pounds of cargo and the car handled it with ease even when climbing mountains. No signs of struggle from the 2.4L. The transmission shifts are quiet, smooth and barely perceptible and power was delivered when needed.

The ride was quiet and comfortable and spending that much time on the road allowed me and the car to get acquainted.

Handling on twisting mountain roads very good, even at speeds of 50+ mph. EVIC was reporting around 28 mpg with the above stated load and my heavy foot. Cargo space with the rear seats folded down is cavernous. It swallowed up a 6' folding table easily.

Once evening fell, I found the headlights to be more than adequate and the high beams really cut through the total darkness.

Overall, I am quite impressed by the maiden "journey". I just have to load up a USB stick so I don't have to station surf.

This is not my first Dodge and is my 10th Mopar vehicle (5 Jeeps, 5 cars).

Edited by priell3

Glad to hear you are enjoying your Journey - I'm on my second one.

For the sake of accuracy, the 4 cylinder engine is coupled to a 4 speed transmission - my first Journey had that engine.

I also found mine to have sufficient power for almost everything except a high speed pass at elevated speeds - it could go fast, but took a bit longer than I liked to get there.

Having said that, I ran into that sort of situation at most once every couple of months, and it wasn't more than a temporary inconvenience.

The current Journey has the 3.6 litre engine with the 6 speed transmission and I rarely push it, if at all.

Both power trains work very well and for the life of me I don't know why reviewers don't like the vehicle.

Some more observations -

The puddle lamps in the bottom of the doors are a nice feature. Both my wife and I like them. I just checked out the second row in floor storage. Very generous and useful. We are slowly getting used to the remote proximity keyless entry and keyless go. I still reach for my keys. :confused:

The height of the vehicle makes for easy in and out and the visibility out of the front windshield is excellent.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just turned 3,200 miles on my DJ after another weekend road trip. I enjoy the journey in my Journey.

Once again the little 4 cylinder engine did the task of hauling another big load with ease. I should have taken a pic or two, but I had the entire back (with rear seats folded down) filled from floor to ceiling and the front passenger seat and floor packed with cargo from our home relocation.