Switching from 225/55/19 to 235/55/19...

kboy00

Approaching 40k miles and my Kuhmo's are gonna need to be replaced. I'm in Michigan and want the benefit of snow tire, but not the work/cost of adding a snow set to sit in my garage in the summer months, taking up space.

Consumer's Report ranked Nokian WRG3's the best winter tire and they actually can be driven year-round. They are called "all weather" in lieu of the typical "all-season" because they are snowflake rated for winter.

Only problem, the closest size they have to my needed 225/55/19's is 235/55/19. I have a 2014 R/T AWD. Anyone know if these will clear everything on sharp turns or cause problems? They will run 4/10 inch taller and 4/10 inch wider... I know if swapping sizes for tires in the winter, it is recommend slimming down the width 10 mm and increasing the sidewall height 5% in the winter months (from 225/55 to 215/60) to cut through the snow, but that's not an option for these tires, which I would really like to get.

Will the increased width off-set the added benefit of this "all weather" tire?

Journey buffs and tire experts...thoughts?

The quick answer is that, as you know, the contact patch is the key to cutting through deep snow - skinny does best.

I opted for a separate set of 17" (steel) wheels and winter tires (without TPMS sensors) for my Journey - it was provided by my dealer at no charge as part of my purchase so I had little influence in the selection, but I will say the following:

Winter driving is more about the ability of the driver than it is about the tires on the vehicle, though, of course if you try to go through a foot of hard packed snow and the vehicle lifts off the ground it doesn't matter what tires you have on the vehicle - the Journey has about 7" of ground clearance.

These 'all weather' tires are new to the market - I wonder at their wear ratings during hot summer months and on abrasive road surfaces. I have read complaints that they are very noisy on dry surfaces (think summertime).

Also, apparently, like most 'all purpose' solutions they are a compromise; their snow performance is reportedly less than stellar. Here's a review article for your reading pleasure:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-drive/culture/commuting/are-all-weather-tires-a-good-compromise/article16190526/

Edited by bramfrank

They are listed on Tire Racks list of tires that will fit. I went with 255/50R19 Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus. I had these mounted around 4 months after I bought mine new. Performed flawlessly with my FWD in winter. So, no need to carry around the extra weight of AWD! I can barely my index finger nail between the tire and the front strut lower spring mount, so I'm guessing that this is the largest 19" tire we can mount on the 19" wheels. These tires are ,15" higher on the sidewall, .30" larger in diameter and 1.18" wider. These tires are actually quieter that the factory Khumos and have an 80,000 mile tread warranty.

Edited by dhh3

• 4 months later...

Guys I went with Brand New Pirellis Scorpion Verde All Season Plus 235/55/19 105V

Love the tires grips the road nice but my only thing im noticing lately the fuel mileage dropped a bit from the OEM Khumos I had on my ride

I was getting 18-20mpg now im getting 15-17mpg

I also notice the tire grabs the road more which is good but I find perfomance wise I dropped a bit I need to give her a bit more gas to accelerate if that makes any sense

Let me know if im losing my mind or if this is completely normal?

Also find the steering is a bit more stiffer maybe because the tire is more agressive?

Im clueless folks!

i just switched to the same size and went with cooper cs5 tires havent really noticed any mpg difference, that said you did go to a slightly bigger tire size about .9 mph faster on the speedo so i am sure that would throw the evic out a bit . also you are commenting about the better grip the tires give you on the road, that would probably be also affecting your mpg as a harder tire compound that doesn't grip as good would give you better mpg and longer life of the tire than a softer tire compound would. also make sure you are running the same air pressure that you were before in case they didnt fill them enough. good luck anyways