Should I Keep the Car?

LKMS

The Journey's rear calipers need the piston to turn in order to compress it? That's a first. I've never seen an American car need that.... only Volvos. Was it designed in Sweden or something?

All of them I have done have been that way, including a couple Japanese cars too...

The first car I ever owned with rear disks, 1991 Ford Taurus, had the pistons than needed to be turned in. I had never been exposed to that before and ruined a caliper trying to figure out how to compress it. I believe it has something to do with the parking brakes. I'm thinking some, like Chryslers with the drum brake parking brake system inside the rotor, don't need to be turned to compress. I don't know, either way, they have been around for a long time. All the vehicles I own now with 4 wheel disks, Ford, Dodge, Hyundai, Mitsubishi and Honda all need to have the piston turned to compress it.

It's simple to tell the difference. If there is a spring retained arm on the back of the caliper, you will need to turn it and compress it simultaneously to seat the piston for new pad installation. If there is no arm, there is no parking brake mechanism inside the caliper, and the piston can be compressed with nothing more than a c-clamp (or other appropriate brake tool if you prefer).

Rear disk brakes have always needed to be turned to seat. You can buy a kit from Harbor Freight for about $30 that has adapters for all makes and models.

The 2009 Journey is my first ever car with rear disk brakes. I tried to press the cylinder back in with a large C-clamp, but I saw that it was not going back in, so fortunately I stopped before I ruined anything. I was able to rent an air tool from a local shop for a reasonable fee, but I will buy my own before I tackle it again. But that time I had it all apart already, and couldn't wait for a tool to arrive.

But anyway, I figured all of the regular grease monkeys on here already knew it, but this guy is someone who, from what I understood from the original post, is someone who is wanting to learn, and I figured it didn't hurt to mention it, because no one else had.

Edited by Neto