Drivers and passenger doors so heavy they won't stay open

journeygal

I have a 2015 Journey and have found that when parked on a slight incline, the doors will shut on legs and fingers even when opened completely. I'll open the door and make sure it's open all the way and stationary and when I lean into the car to retrieve something from the seat, the door swings shut on my rear. I haven't bumped the door. The dealer looked at it and said there's no way to tighten the doors without taking them all apart. They suggested I back into the driveway! We called Chrysler and they said the doors were operating the way they were designed to. I can't imagine some little kids (or adults for that matter) haven't had their fingers or more smashed. I got a scrape on my shin. Anyone else experience this? Thanks!

You wouldn't want the doors to be any 'lighter' should you get into an accident where the other vehicle hits you in the door.

You can always have someone with mechanical abilities grind or file the detents in the spring loaded cam that provides the hold point to deepen them so the holding angle is increased, requiring more force to get the wheel out and allow the door to close - don't take out too much metal, mind you.

But there will always be some angle which is too much to keep that door in place and modifying the part will put more stress on the other bits involved (like the hinge on the and of the cam and on the wheel's axle) that can wear or fail over time.