Exterior differences in years/models

Devin Riches

Hey all!

So, ever since I've got my 2013 R/T, I have been trying to teach my youngest son (9 years old) to spot the differences between the years and models of DJs. In doing so, I, myself, am not quite sure of a few things.

First - Chrome door handles. Up until a couple of days ago, I thought you could only get these on the R/T. But then I saw a Journey with the R/T badge without the chrome handles.

Second - The Dodge emblem. I am pretty sure that the emblem was on the front and rear of all DJs up until 2011. I think 2012 is when they put the new front grill on them as well as the word DODGE across the back.

Third - Tail lights. I believe that the 2012 was the last year of the old style, and the 2013 had the new LED tail lights (the round ones) installed on them.

Fourth - Rims. This is where I am lost. I have the snowflake rims on my R/T. I know them as snowflake rims from my Neon days. But I have seen these rims on all different models. Was that just a different option on any model Journey?

Any input on what I have here? Is it right? Is it wrong? And any additions would be great! :)

2011 is when Dodge switched to the double red line logo. 2009 and 2010 had the old Ram head on the front grill. Same goes for the Grand Caravan. This is a result of splitting Ram off as a separate brand from Dodge. Ram is now the working line of vehicles from Chrysler (trucks, cargo vans, etc.) With the branding change, Dodge needed a logo change to go with it. The new logo required a new grill to accommodate it, while still being reminiscent of the old version.

2015 AVP models (and probably SE, depending on package) still have incandescent bulbs for tail lights. My '15 SE has LEDs, but I have a few package options on it.

Chrome door handles are part of the Chrome Appearance Package (if you're talking about a trim that doesn't have them standard). I have them on my SE.

2009, 2010, and 2011 have the same body style. The difference is the cross hair grill in the 2011. The ram head is on the rear of the 9 & 10. 2011 on has dodge across the rear hatch. 2012 has the double red stripe on the emblem in the grill. The front and rear fascias were both changed starting with the 2012.

Do note there are many differences in models destined for the Canadian market VS the US market. Example. Chrome door handles were only available on the R/T model in Canada. No others offered them, but there was an accessory kit from MOPAR that could upgrade any model. Another example is leather seats. Only available in the R/T in Canada, while were an option on Limited's in the US. AWD not available on the Limited in Canada. An option in America. Block heater, standard in Canada. Optional in the US. Even in northern states. Many differences.

FYI, a later model R/T with body color door handles (such as my 2014) is likely a Rallye. Rallye also deletes the roof rails and trades the chrome grille and headlamps for blacked-bucket headlamps and body color grilles. For some reason they didn't put a Rallye badge on it like they do on the Dart Rallye and new Charger SXT Rallye. Seeing chrome handles is more likely to be a Crew (up until 2013) or Limited (replaced Crew).

The Crossroad was introduced in mid 2014. It has Platinum trim; not chrome. It has distinct front and rear facias (bumpers) and different interior trim. It also has it's own distinct wheels (hyper black). black grill, black headlights, taillights and back and platinum trim below the doors.

With%20New%20Tires_zpsr001voae.jpg