is this all i will need for 4.3 to 8.4 upgrade?

You would need the temperature sensors and light sensor. Otherwise your climate control wont display on the screen

What would the light sensor be for?

I dont have auto lights switch nor do I have the sensor in the dash.

So without the temp sensor, i would only be able to adjust it manually, where does the temp sensor plug in at?

Do you happen to have the part number for that?

I would imagina the light sensor would be neccasary for the auto dim feature for the stereo, if I dont have that, will it keep it from working completely? Or just make the auto dim feature obsolete?

Auto dim?? I think it just dims when you turn the lights on. There are settings in the software for normal mode. It would dim to whatever you have it set at with the interior light dimmer by the headlight switch when the headlights are activated.

I have auto HVAC and mine is a 3-row. Therefore I have rear HVAC and the only way that I know how to adjust it from the front is on the screen. You can manually adjust it from the second row, but I have it locked on the screen so no one can change the way that I have it set.

I have never been able to get the screen auto dim to work. With headlights off, I have it set to 10. With headlights on, I have it set to 8. I dim the screen to 8 by rotating the dimmer switch down one click.

If you do not have the sensor, I have no idea if any of these functions will work for you.

If you haven't found the posts in question, this is what I recall:

There are three variants of the dash sensor. Two of them include an ambient light sensor which is used to control the automatic headlights - you would also need to replace the light switch assembly and have the sales code programmed into your vehicle if you wanted to enable this. Two of the sensors have the temperature sensor for the automatic air conditioning. So there is one with auto lights only, another which is auto air conditioning only and the third has both - if you have a base vehicle you have no sensor at all.

There is the possibility that you may also need to add a wire between the sensor and the radio, depending on the wiring harness your vehicle is equipped with.

Unless you have the right sensor and the proper connections, it would seem that you will not be able to enable automatic air conditioning nor apparently to control the climate control system heat from the touchscreen.

Ok, so its what I figured than, this WILL work, but I wont have the ability to viualize the temp setting, it will move, but than revert back to the middle of the setting.

I will be able to control the temp, but only through the buttons on the dash, NOT through the touch screen though.

I am really wanting navigation, and it seems the only route will be with either:

a standalone garmin or tomtom unit

an aftermarket double din unit (requires buying the 350$ bezel and havac controls)

or getting the 8.4 uconnect with navi and losing the ability to manipulate the temp settings through the touch screen

I think I'm just gonna go the OEM way and lose out on the wiz bang ooh ahhh ability of touching the screen to manipulate the temp.

It will be cleanest looking and it will actually be easier than replacing with a double din and having to buy the cheap looking aftermarket radio bezel.

I used a Garmin 3490 in my last Journey (it was an SE Plus) and it worked well for me because it provided Bluetooth as well as nav functions and I mounted it above the mirror, so it was not visible to the casual observer and it supported voice command (something you will not have with your upgrade, by the way, since it needs the buttons on the steering wheel to work). When I got my Crossroad I decided to go with the OEM solution and I have been pleased.

Even though you've decided not to go that route (I'm including it for anyone who might read this topic while researching an nav update for their vehicle), one thing to keep in mind is that an aftermarket radio may well compromise access to touchscreen accessed features like heated seats, the electrical outlet and control of daytime running lamps if you have them.

If your radio comes from a post-2012 vehicle you will need to get a PIN - we have a member here who has been helpful in generating them - you can PM me for details if you wish because I'm not certain he wants his name 'out there'.

• 4 weeks later...

I used a Garmin 3490 in my last Journey (it was an SE Plus) and it worked well for me because it provided Bluetooth as well as nav functions and I mounted it above the mirror, so it was not visible to the casual observer and it supported voice command (something you will not have with your upgrade, by the way, since it needs the buttons on the steering wheel to work). When I got my Crossroad I decided to go with the OEM solution and I have been pleased.

Even though you've decided not to go that route (I'm including it for anyone who might read this topic while researching an nav update for their vehicle), one thing to keep in mind is that an aftermarket radio may well compromise access to touchscreen accessed features like heated seats, the electrical outlet and control of daytime running lamps if you have them.

If your radio comes from a post-2012 vehicle you will need to get a PIN - we have a member here who has been helpful in generating them - you can PM me for details if you wish because I'm not certain he wants his name 'out there'.

Yeah, aftermarket is out completely, although clever, I am not a fan of the replacement bezel necassary for an aftermarket application.