Question about transmission downshifting when going slow to stop

Dusty256

Noticed this since I picked up the cat on Saturday , it's a 2009 se with the 2.4 . When I slow down to stop at a light I noticed right about 3 mph or so the transmission shifts down to first. Or at least that what it feels like.malmost the same feeling if you throw a manual shift car in to first and dump the clutch coming up to a light. It's more noticeable creeping in a parking lot etc where you don't get up to more than 5 or 10 mph.

Has 127,000 miles and not sure when the transfilter and fluids where change.

Shifts fine going down the road just this funny down shift thing when pulling up to a stop sign or light. you can see the tach bump up just a little when it does this..

Going to take it up for a transmission fluid and filter change in the morning.. Also notched it feels like it could us a set of plugs too so will change them myself..

Having to get used to a four banger again. So used to a big v8 caddie where you can't even feel the engine run or trams run through the gears.

My '11, which had the 2.4 did that - and so does the 3.6 in the current one, for that matter - and not only when approaching full stop.

I've always wondered about the transmission's propensity to keep engine RPMs in the torque peak, even downshifting as long as the vehicle is in motion and decellerating. It's as if they lock up the torque converter any time the vehicle isn't stopped without regard to trending speeds. - if I'd been programming the device I think that when slowing I'd have only unlocked the converter and then downshifted as the speed vs. RPMs vs. gear selection approached idle - and or if the throttle was pressed and RPMs were otherwise below the peak torque RPMs.

Okay cool , I won't worry about it then. It just felt like they where using the engine and transmission to slow the car down by down shifting ...

Going to change the plugs today , oil change was by the dealer but might changed it agin anyway so I know what type oil is there .

I had the transmission flushed on my old Neon twice and never had a problem in 220,000 kilometres. Others had to get their transmission repaired or replaced in less than half the mileage. Putting in the wrong fluid is a much bigger problem.

I thought you weren't supposed to do a transmission flush? I thought you were just supposed to do a drain, filter swap, and refill...don't transmission flushes cause problems with leaky seals and what not?

Issues caused by flushes are in poorly maintained vehicles. People wait 150,000 miles to service their transmission, get it flushed causing all of that gunk to break loose and then bitch that the service broke their car. In reality, their laziness is what caused the issue.

I have used flushes many times in the past with ZERO issues. Take care of your car and it will take care of you.

Good point, I'll probably go for the flush then :). When doing google searches, many people do transmission fluid changes every 30-40k miles. Why the heck would they be doing it that often? Maybe that's a thing of the past (similar to 3k mile engine oil changes)?

I did the fluid and flush in my Neon every 100,000 kilometres (60,000 miles). The owners manual for my DJ recommends transmission fluid and filter change at 192,000 kilometres. I guess that's the difference from 2001 to 2013.

The 62TE gets a drain and fill with filter change at 60,000 miles under fleet duty (taxi, police, rental, etc.) or with towing. Normal duty (no towing, average Joe daily driving) has a 120,000 mile drain and fill with filter change. The ONLY fluid that should ever go in that transmission is ATF+4.