Infinity System

One of the first things I noticed when I got my Journey was the almost total lack of outside noise in the car. The second thing was that the radio sounded NICE (I have the SXT).

So I went to the web site and looked into it. I seem to have the middle tier Infinity radio system and they offer one even better. Then the brick walls began.

I have done everything I can to see what it would take to upgrade the radio to the top of the line Infinity System and all I get is more and more conflicting stories. On the Infinity web site they say I have 6x9” front door speakers but I don’t know if they are single, dual or 3 way, 5 ¼” rear door speakers with the same questions and no mention of the tweeters in the dash or the sub in back. On the Crutchfield site they say the front speakers are 5 ¼” and no mention of the tweeters or sub. At some car audio sound place in town I am told the system is not really an Infinity system but a Dodge only thing designed by Infinity but made by Dodge and that nothing can be done but replace the whole kit and kaboddle.

I went to the Dodge parts counter and, after a little bit of time, ordered a 368 watt amplifier (under the VIN # and thus approved by the computer) to be installed when I took the car in to have them put in the uConnect and iPod connection. When I dropped the car off all seemed fine but later they called and said “the car isn’t wired for the amp” and we returned it to where it came from.

I have even emailed and talked to on the phone a guy who works for corporate and all I get from him is a very long drawn out way of not being able to come out and say “I dunno”.

The Dodge site says when you have the amp you also get better speakers. I assume this means the doors and maybe even the sub woofer, thinking the tweeters are probably good already. Now, I THINK I have maybe 2 3.5” tweeters, 2 6x9” front door speakers that might be 2 way, 2 5 ¼” rear door speakers possibly 2 way and a 8” sub woofer in back ??? I have found nothing that says I can just keep my current radio because I don’t even want the screen or the hard drive unit (my radio and iPod works great as is).

It seems to me that the guy who said the “car isn’t wired for the amp” was talking about a harness about 1.5 feet long and with around a dozen wires and connectors on each end. To install an amp you take the wires from the radio and plug them into the amp then take the speaker wires and plug them into the amp.

Can anyone PLEASE tell me what kind and sizes of speakers I currently have and what the upper end system uses? This thing about “your stereo is good and the other one is better” just doesn’t cut it with me, I want to be able to look up specs. Also some help with what I would need to order so I can either have the service guy do it or take the time and do it myself. I am not opposed to having the stock Dodge approved and designed Infinity System they say exists (but can’t actually prove).

This is my last hope before I have to suck it up and start taking door covers off and the consol apart and I really don’t want to get into all of that. It shouldn’t be rocket surgery but somehow it has turned into exactly that.

I guess the lack of responses confirms my odd observation. Dodge works toward and succeeds in an option on their vehicles that people want to buy. Then they stop and never figure out that if there is nothing stated about the option and even the parts guys can’t sell it, nobody can buy it unless it is ordered in the initial order.

Now why would a business think they could succeed if they can’t sell the things they have for sale?

The stereo shop guys say they only push after market stuff. What that means to us is coughing up more than $1,000 to make an already nice sounding car a little bit better. I think everyone here knows that this car was nicely tuned to sound pretty good already. The car wasn't wired for the uConnect or iPod but that wasn't rocket science to buy the harness and put it in. Also, those 2 additions were $350, I like both of them a lot and I am going to keep them. The after market system offered by the Car Audio dudes that does Bluetooth and iPod and sounds better than what I already have is some major $$$.

The amp was $200 at the parts counter. I have discovered that harnesses offer a nice markup for them (a dozen wires and connectors on each end can add up to over $100 while costing $10 to make). Still - I was willing to have the shop install the uConnect and iPod and enter them into the computer so they are listed on the VIN and are covered on warrenty. I am willing to pay for a little wiring harness (the parts manual at the dealer shows the amp in the console area near the head unit) and have it "factory installed" by the local shop. So there is that small item and some "better" speakers to swap out with what I have now and I should have a killer sound experience.

Now all I need is the time to take things apart for no other reason than to find out what is there presently, put it all together, figure out how to order the parts I need, and show them to the shop so they can see that they really can put them in. I'm guessing that another $350 and I am golden.

So, can anyone tell me the particulars on taking the door panels off and save me from having to figure it out? I sure would appreciate that help!

I'll report on what I figure out in the end. But time isn't so easy to come by so it won't be real soon.

• 1 month later...

I had my non-infinity front speakers replaced with 6.5 kappa perfect components. Installer said the speaker size in the front was 6 X 9. Aftermarket Infinity Kappas will sound a lot better than the upgraded stock Infinitys. Also had stock head unit replaced with an eclipse cd 5000. Sound is much better even without am amplifier hooked up.

• 1 year later...

The stereo shop guys say they only push after market stuff. What that means to us is coughing up more than $1,000 to make an already nice sounding car a little bit better. I think everyone here knows that this car was nicely tuned to sound pretty good already. The car wasn't wired for the uConnect or iPod but that wasn't rocket science to buy the harness and put it in. Also, those 2 additions were $350, I like both of them a lot and I am going to keep them. The after market system offered by the Car Audio dudes that does Bluetooth and iPod and sounds better than what I already have is some major $$$.

The amp was $200 at the parts counter. I have discovered that harnesses offer a nice markup for them (a dozen wires and connectors on each end can add up to over $100 while costing $10 to make). Still - I was willing to have the shop install the uConnect and iPod and enter them into the computer so they are listed on the VIN and are covered on warrenty. I am willing to pay for a little wiring harness (the parts manual at the dealer shows the amp in the console area near the head unit) and have it "factory installed" by the local shop. So there is that small item and some "better" speakers to swap out with what I have now and I should have a killer sound experience.

Now all I need is the time to take things apart for no other reason than to find out what is there presently, put it all together, figure out how to order the parts I need, and show them to the shop so they can see that they really can put them in. I'm guessing that another $350 and I am golden.

So, can anyone tell me the particulars on taking the door panels off and save me from having to figure it out? I sure would appreciate that help!

I'll report on what I figure out in the end. But time isn't so easy to come by so it won't be real soon.

@Roadrunner... Did you ever do any more research on your stereo system? I have an '09 SXT w/o Infinity system and I just installed an amp and subwoofer myself. I posted some info in this forum (I forget in what thread at the moment) but I included some wiring details. Auto manufacturers are making it more difficult to upgrade your car audio systems as a DIY. Once I figured out (trial and error) a way to install (and turn on) the amp it was relatively easy.

Below are the item no.s used in the Journey:

7 SPEAKER, 6"X9"

05081669AA 2 B, D, E 49 [RC9], Front Door

05091019AB 2 B, D, E 49 [RCG], Front Door

8 SPEAKER, 6"X9"

05081669AA 2 B, D, E 49 [RC9], Rear Door

05091019AB 2 B, D, E 49 [RCG], Rear Door

9 SPEAKER, 3.5"

05059062AA 2 B, D, E 49 [RCG], Instrument Panel

05064120AB 2 B, D, E 49 [RC9], Instrument Panel

2 05064302AC 1 B, D, E 49 AMPLIFIER, [RD6]

3 05064298AC 1 B, D, E 49 SPEAKER, Sub Woofer

RC9 = premium speakers.

• 4 weeks later...

Too bad they don't make a Mopar-Kicker audio upgrade for our cars. I had a Jeep SRT that I had the Mopar-Kicker upgrade installed in. It was fantastic.

Definately worth the upgrade. Much better speakers, an upgraded amp and a choice of single or double sub. All packaged to blend in and look like factorey speakers too.

Hopefully the people at Dodge will finally come through and offer some upgrades for the Journey. It is not a very expensive vehicle, but there is definately a following.

Come on Dodge Folks!!

• 4 weeks later...

I would really like to buy a factory sub and amp. Without buying a whole new system. I have 2010 SXT with the mid grade audio package. Uconnect and ipod already is installed. In the back there is a spot on the left rear. Right below the 3rd row seat, next to the led flashlight, where a "screen" is. I don't know what is behind it, but I believe this is where the factory sub goes. I don't want to start ripping it apart to find out if a sub is already there. I wouldn't think it would be a problem to purchase a factory sub or amp for the Parts Dept. at a Dodge dealership. If anyone has any thoughts on this please respond. Also I will replace all the factory speakers that do exsist.

Your best bet is to purchase a shallow mount sub in its own shallow box. Mount the amp on the back, and you will hardly lose any cargo space. The sub what comes with the infinity system isn't sold separately, and your going to need to mount your amp somewhere. As for wiring the amp... you will need to buy a line level converter. This allows you to tap into your rear speaker wires and properly power your amp. You will still need to run power from the rear to the battery but that is quite easy. Replacing the factory speakers is also a pretty easy task... except for the tweeters in the dash... if you have them. . hope this helps.

j

Your best bet is to purchase a shallow mount sub in its own shallow box. Mount the amp on the back, and you will hardly lose any cargo space. The sub what comes with the infinity system isn't sold separately, and your going to need to mount your amp somewhere. As for wiring the amp... you will need to buy a line level converter. This allows you to tap into your rear speaker wires and properly power your amp. You will still need to run power from the rear to the battery but that is quite easy. Replacing the factory speakers is also a pretty easy task... except for the tweeters in the dash... if you have them. . hope this helps.

j

Thank you for the reply. I will look into a shallow sub

• 2 months later...

I would really like to buy a factory sub and amp. Without buying a whole new system. I have 2010 SXT with the mid grade audio package. Uconnect and ipod already is installed. In the back there is a spot on the left rear. Right below the 3rd row seat, next to the led flashlight, where a "screen" is. I don't know what is behind it, but I believe this is where the factory sub goes. I don't want to start ripping it apart to find out if a sub is already there. I wouldn't think it would be a problem to purchase a factory sub or amp for the Parts Dept. at a Dodge dealership. If anyone has any thoughts on this please respond. Also I will replace all the factory speakers that do exsist.

I'm in your exact position- I would prefer to upgrade my current system to the Infinity Premium. I found a Premium Infinity Amp on Ebay but dont know if I can just plug it in somewhere or need additional wiring. I also dont know if the sub woofer is prewired. I think it would be relatively easy to find a correct sized sub to fit in the factory location..unless Dodge made some kind of special bracket.

I would go talk to a stereo shop first. See what they say. I have never heard of not being able to hook up an amp to a stereo. Sounds kind of goofy,but hey stranger things have happened. :shrug:

This isn't quite the answer the OP was looking for. There is a difference between Chrysler Infinity and Non Infinity Systems. I know this first hand having a 2000 Grand Caravan Sport with an Infinity System and a 2005 PT Cruiser Convertible with a Non infinity System. I had got a Sony stereo at a very good price that I was going to put in my van. It played MP3's, had bluetooth, iPod etc. and had a list of great features.I was told by my local Best Buy that it was not easily compatible with my van's stereo, I ended up putting it in my Cruiser with no problems. You can find more info about this problem on the Internet.

Terry

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Kind of related, I test drove a loaded R/T it said 6 speaker infinity sound on the sticker, ended up taking an identicle (on paper) journey at a different dealer cause I wanted a different color. The first journey had funky tweeters above the dash on the pillar that said infinity right on them and the sound was crazy. The second journey didnt have the tweeter above the dash on the pillar, it had a plane looking one that simply said alpine and the sound was still really good, but not quite the same as the first one I drove... Both were listed with the same sound system and the dealer had no idea what I was talking about... Anyone have any idea about this????