Why the Alpine system sounds so bad, I found a clue!

Rooting around the various posts about the Alpine system, I found a link to the Dodge Journey page at the Alpine site. Welp, the Alpine site has pictures showing five mid range/tweeter speakers laid out with the door speakers, amp and subwoofer. Having five of the mid/tweeter speakers would have compensated for the four woofer speakers in the door. Granted, in other pictures where they show speaker placement, only the two dash mid/tweeter speakers are shown. The site does confirm the door speakers are woofers. It seems silly to have four woofer speakers in the doors, and just two mid/tweeter speakers in the dash. This arrangement explains why the sound of the upgraded Alpine system sounds worse than the standard system and so muddled. Thus, I venture to say somewhere along the way from design to production some heartless non caring soul deleted three mid/tweeter speakers from the production models. Take that Mr/Ms Dodge moderator and see if this clue helps explain why so many owners are ripping out the Alpine upgrade and replacing it with aftermarket equipment.

post-11367-0-55409400-1434563662_thumb.j

Edited by BearmeatDC

I upgraded mine to an alpine system, but of my own design: 4-6x9 2-way in each door, tweeters+crossover in the dash, amp behind the radio, and a Kicker sub in a ported enclosure with gain control at the top of the bin in the front part of the console, mounted under my seat. Still have not been able to compare it to a factory Alpine.

The factory Alpine is supposed to have a sub in the left rear panel, although it is a one-way 6x9!

The Alpine site showed the subwoofer as a round speaker. I have seen others post it is an 8" speaker and used in other Dodge products where it sounds much better. The amp seems to be the reason it is not so great in the Journey. the amp settings as to what it sends to the speakers and sub suck. I found a guy who tested the signals and posted the results on YouTube, it seems the factory amp does not send out various sections of the full sound range frequency. It does seem the amp, thru some process unknown to me, can have its firmware adjusted. It would be nice if the dealers could do this, my dealer say they do not have that ability. Going thru most every post about the Alpine system, I found posts that talked about firmware service update posts that seemed to suggest problems had been found and there was some way to get the amp updated. Sadly, no clues as to how that was done. If the Dodge moderator is reading this, so many would be so happy if the could take the amp to the dealer and have the ability to change the amps settings to match their preference.

I'm going by what the Best Buy Tech told me when he installed my Alpine "Brick" (Power Head Unit) amp. He told me on the DJ it was 6x9. When I bought my DJ last summer, I made a deal with my Dealer to install the rear view camera. The tech removed all of the interior panels on the driver's side. I took a look back there; there did not appear to be enough room for an 8"sub. And, definitely not enough room to move air!

• 2 weeks later...

The Alpine site showed the subwoofer as a round speaker. I have seen others post it is an 8" speaker and used in other Dodge products where it sounds much better. The amp seems to be the reason it is not so great in the Journey. the amp settings as to what it sends to the speakers and sub suck. I found a guy who tested the signals and posted the results on YouTube, it seems the factory amp does not send out various sections of the full sound range frequency. It does seem the amp, thru some process unknown to me, can have its firmware adjusted. It would be nice if the dealers could do this, my dealer say they do not have that ability. Going thru most every post about the Alpine system, I found posts that talked about firmware service update posts that seemed to suggest problems had been found and there was some way to get the amp updated. Sadly, no clues as to how that was done. If the Dodge moderator is reading this, so many would be so happy if the could take the amp to the dealer and have the ability to change the amps settings to match their preference.

I had my amp firmware updated by my dealer (at the same time as my emissions and steering unit firmware). I can't really tell a difference in sound quality. It is still subpar.

The base system sounds darned good, why pay extra for a downgrade?

But, my "enhanced" base system sounds even better! Still want to compare it with an upgrade system, but there is never a DJ in stock that has one.

The primary advantage of the upgraded sound would be 1) it is easier to add an after market amp if you have the upgrade 2) you get the special custom subwoofer enclosure in the rear cargo area, 3) you get the better radio option (hard to replace/upgrade aftermarket wise, if at all) and 4) some do like the Alpine system. I have read the Apline sub is not a bad one it is just getting bad signal from the Alpine amp and possibly underpowered. I will know soon. I have yet to change the sub, and it is being connected to the new amp.

Edited by BearmeatDC

The primary advantage of the upgraded sound would be 1) it is easier to add an after market amp if you have the upgrade 2) you get the special custom subwoofer enclosure in the rear cargo area, 3) you get the better radio option (hard to replace/upgrade aftermarket wise, if at all) and 4) some do like the Alpine system. I have read the Apline sub is not a bad one it is just getting bad signal from the Alpine amp and possibly underpowered. I will know soon. I have yet to change the sub, and it is being connected to the new amp.

1) easier to add? maybe, but more expensive because you have to use a special harness 2) The subwoofer enclosure is too small to house a decent sub 3) pretty sure the radio is the same, it's the "amp" that changes the equation 4) different strokes for different folks...some do like it, others hate it...opinions are like assholes. The alpine sub appears to be a glorified 6.5" speaker. If you dig into it we would all love to see what is actually in there.

Also, I would be curios to see the power draw from the Factory Amp when compared to an aftermarket. Most aftermarket amps draw too much power and require cables that run from the battery.

What underseat subwoofer?

I'll be honest, between our two Journeys, mine has the Alpine upgrade and the other has the "base" audio. Both have the 8.4A radio. The base system is either marginally worse, or on par with the Alpine. The only reason I bought the Alpine is because the car already had it, and I got a good deal on a used R/T that was basically still new.

If it's possible, I would like to swap out the Alpine amp with something else that can easily connect to the OEM wire harness (been through re-wiring the audio on my 300M Special, no interest in doing it again), and replace the door speakers with something better, such as Infinity Reference series 2-way speakers. It sounds like simply replacing the speakers would be a waste of time if the factory amplifier isn't sending the full range to the door speakers to begin with.

Kicker makes 2 underseat 8" subs for single cab pickups. The speaker is mounted in a ported box, similar to a Bose Radio. I installed one, and am amazed at what it puts out. I have it all documented in the threads that I started concerning my sound upgrade. It is only a 15a draw, so it is wired into the factor 20a circuit for the radio, and comes on with the radio. No need to run cables to the battery.

You're thumbnail is showing the wrong system for the Journey, here is the correct image:

Journey_Audio_System_01.jpg

Confirms my suspicion that there is not enough room to move any air for the sub. Best Buy tech was wrong when he told me that the sub was a 6x9. Those with the upgrade system must have a different left rear interior panel. I feel for the person sitting in the left side rear seat!

Confirms my suspicion that there is not enough room to move any air for the sub. Best Buy tech was wrong when he told me that the sub was a 6x9. Those with the upgrade system must have a different left rear interior panel. I feel for the person sitting in the left side rear seat!

Assuming that the picture is accurate, that "sub" can't be any bigger than 6"...

I picked the picture with the five tweeter speakers from the Journey site as that it why I think it sounds bad, only two of the five made it to production. Is it not odd, my picture is on the Alpine site? Any hoo, changing the door speakers first, made a big difference. The Alpine amp does send an almost full range signal to the door speakers so new coaxial or triaxel speakers will add mid range and highs to the new door speakers. I would try that first and see if you are happy as you just use the existing wires. The Alpine amp does have issues with the range of frequencies it sends out, a person posted a YouTube video of his sine wave test and it had issues. So bypassing/replacing the amp has benefits. I had my new five channel amp installed at a audio store, so I cannot say how they wired it. I know they bypassed the Alpine amp and added item that reassembled all the frequencies before the signal went to the new amp. It was $450 to have the new amp installed. As for the sub, somewhere on this site a guy noted it was 8" and that you could get a 10" in with modification. I agree with others there is not much room so any new one to replace the Alpine sub would need to be among the thinnest available. Looking in the cargo area, it looks like there are two 6x9 speaker openings, as there are what appear to be speaker grills/openings, the sub is behind the drivers side. The one on the right must be just decorative.

Edited by BearmeatDC

I picked the picture with the five tweeter speakers from the Journey site as that it why I think it sounds bad, only two of the five made it to production.

The five-tweeter system was never designed or intended for the Journey. What you are seeing is just a quirk in the web site programming that is mistakenly showing a picture from a different vehicle system.

• 5 years later...

Hello Everyone!

I have a 2018 Journey and I am interested to know if anyone could find a solution different from rebuilding the entire system.

In your oppinion, what are the good parts?

I had a 2010 Journey that had a very good system. 

Regards

Edited by Luciano Kalil