Playlists, or folders?

Finally starting to set my music up on an SD card and just curious as to which most people are using.... creating playlists, or just putting music in folders and playing from the folders? I've also used the USB slot to play music from, but it's pretty inconvenient to change thumb drives inside the console while driving whilst the SD card is right in front.

Just get a bigger flash drive. They're cheap, and substantially bigger than SD cards. If you figure out how to get playlists to work through the SD card, I'd like to hear how. I haven't had the time to work out how to make them function through USB.

Just get a bigger flash drive. They're cheap, and substantially bigger than SD cards. If you figure out how to get playlists to work through the SD card, I'd like to hear how. I haven't had the time to work out how to make them function through USB.

Well. "apparently" you can create playlists with Winblows Media Player and they will be in a format the radio will be able to read. Mind you, I haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure that's what I read. As for the larger flash drive, I have a 128g coming, but that's really overkill for my needs... the other ones I used were small ones, only 1g. I had a spare 8g sd card so was going to start playing with it.

I did it by putting my iTunes Library into my music folder on my PC. Direction for doing this are on the internet. Pluged my SD card into my computer, and copied the iTunes folder from my music folder onto the SD card. No Art would display. I looked at each sub folder on the card. One folder was just code, so I removed it. All art displays except the ones I downloaded from iTunes(Apple proprietary file). I can select music by an alphabetical list or the titles of the songs, by artist, by album, alphabet key pad. Everything works. I gave up on using the USB.

Edited by dhh3

I did it by putting my iTunes Library into my music folder on my PC. Direction for doing this are on the internet. Pluged my SD card into my computer, and copied the iTunes folder from my music folder onto the SD card. No Art would display. I looked at each sub folder on the card. One folder was just code, so I removed it. All art displays except the ones I downloaded from iTunes(Apple proprietary file). I can select music by an alphabetical list of the titles of the songs, by artist, by album, alphabet key pad. Everything works. I gave up on using the USB.

I used to work at Apple tech support (many many years ago). I used to be able to make iTunes sing and dance (the USER not so much...) You can put your iTunes folder pretty much anywhere you want, so long as your profile (iTunes Library) knows where to look for the files. What I want is what file format the 4.3 UConnect radio uses for reading playlists from a USB device (not an iPhone running iOS whatever or a VERY old iPod that still has a click wheel).

I could do it by folder, but that eats up too much space and creates duplicates if you want song X in 2 or 3 different playlists. Mind you - this is mostly due to curiosity and the current level of function doesn't bother me. But there's a button that should work and I haven't made it work yet. As an IT person, this bothers me.

I used to work at Apple tech support (many many years ago). I used to be able to make iTunes sing and dance (the USER not so much...) You can put your iTunes folder pretty much anywhere you want, so long as your profile (iTunes Library) knows where to look for the files. What I want is what file format the 4.3 UConnect radio uses for reading playlists from a USB device (not an iPhone running iOS whatever or a VERY old iPod that still has a click wheel).

I could do it by folder, but that eats up too much space and creates duplicates if you want song X in 2 or 3 different playlists. Mind you - this is mostly due to curiosity and the current level of function doesn't bother me. But there's a button that should work and I haven't made it work yet. As an IT person, this bothers me.

i'm not sure what the 4.3 uses, but if I read the manual correctly, the 8.4 will recognize windows media player playlists so that is what I'm going to try. I will let you know how I make out.

I've been carrying a 4g flash drive with me for a while now... when I go down the hi-way at work, all our hi-way trucks have USB slots in them so it's nice to have some good tunes to listen to. No playlists, just a general shuffle, which is OK too. Just thought that since this has that option, I can create a list for me, one for the "Boss" and one for both of us.

As for Itunes, I'm immune... don't own any Apple products.

I did it by putting my iTunes Library into my music folder on my PC. Direction for doing this are on the internet. Pluged my SD card into my computer, and copied the iTunes folder from my music folder onto the SD card. No Art would display. I looked at each sub folder on the card. One folder was just code, so I removed it. All art displays except the ones I downloaded from iTunes(Apple proprietary file). I can select music by an alphabetical list of the titles of the songs, by artist, by album, alphabet key pad. Everything works. I gave up on using the USB.

Really? Art? What, the front cover from the cd? I didn't think it would display graphics on the screen while driving. I've stayed away from Apple products, always felt they were too proprietary.

i'm not sure what the 4.3 uses, but if I read the manual correctly, the 8.4 will recognize windows media player playlists so that is what I'm going to try. I will let you know how I make out.

I've been carrying a 4g flash drive with me for a while now... when I go down the hi-way at work, all our hi-way trucks have USB slots in them so it's nice to have some good tunes to listen to. No playlists, just a general shuffle, which is OK too. Just thought that since this has that option, I can create a list for me, one for the "Boss" and one for both of us.

As for Itunes, I'm immune... don't own any Apple products.

Let us know how the windows media playlist works out...

Really? Art? What, the front cover from the cd? I didn't think it would display graphics on the screen while driving. I've stayed away from Apple products, always felt they were too proprietary.

Yes. The album cover art. Uconnect only supports iOS to 7.1. I searched high and low and found an iPod Touch on ebay with 7.1. Downloaded my iTune Library to it, plugged it into the USB and all I got was a list of songs - that was it. That is why I went to the SD card. The art display is where the generic music note is, just like the MyGigs. I miss my RBZ MyGig!

OK, finally had the time to create a quick playlist... IT WORKS!! Created one via Windows Media Player, copied it to the SD card and it showed up in the list when I hit the "playlists" button. I think this is going to work out fine as I can put multiple playlists on the same card.... will have my choice then, all depending on what I'm in the mood for.

And, Dave, some of the songs had the cd front cover show up with the song. Not sure if I want to go thru and add the jacket to ALL the songs, but it might be interesting to find out how it's done.

Initially, I loaded all of my CDs, one by one, to my iTunes Library. So, the art copied with the music. There were a few that did not show a cover: so I picked one from iTunes. Any art from Apple becomes a proprietary file - will not show on a non-Apple product. So, any music that I have downloaded from iTunes, the art does not show on the SD card, nor the art that I picked that did not show when I copied the CD.

Weird, but all of the art showed up on my MyGig. I copied my CDs onto the hard drive, and all art displayed.

• 2 weeks later...

32GB SD card works great...64GB was too big (exFAT format). Used WMP to rip my gf's CD's directly to the card, plus some content pulled from iTunes. All album art shows up, and the one playlist I created under WMP (just for fun) showed up and played as well.

So Windows Media Player seems to be the solution to playlists on a "not iPod." Should album art appear on a 4.3S radio? If so, it's all file issues on my end. There's one album I've got that the songs titles keep getting screwed up. Must be something in the metadata for the files that I need to clean up.

This works for me using iTunes on an SD card: I call up a list of all my songs in alphabetical order. I go down the list and check the ones I want to hear. I hit play, and select the Random soft key and I have created my own playlist. Or, if I'm in the mood for one Artist, I find the artist, select all the albums, hit play and Random. New Playlist! Very Simple. I think that this is the way an iPod or iPhone with music is supposed to work on this FnPITA radio, but I'm baffled how to get either one of them to work. As mentioned before, both iTunes, Apple, and Uconnect are clueless.

Edited by dhh3

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

Just have been doing some research as I'm having the same problem. Can't drag and drop a playlist from iTunes into a USB key. I'm not sure what ended up working out for people or if the solutions worked out. I am working from a Macbook Pro, trying to drag onto a USB key to play in my car.

I'm not sure what the OP did with Windows Media player, but would love an elaboration. Thanks all!

ED

Hi all,

Just have been doing some research as I'm having the same problem. Can't drag and drop a playlist from iTunes into a USB key. I'm not sure what ended up working out for people or if the solutions worked out. I am working from a Macbook Pro, trying to drag onto a USB key to play in my car.

I'm not sure what the OP did with Windows Media player, but would love an elaboration. Thanks all!

ED

Hopefully someone will answer. I don't mess with this stuff, don't have it anyway. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Also, please state the year of your DJ and what system you have so others may assist you better.

OK. I have to admit it. WMP does a MUCH better job with Uconnect than iTunes. All CDs should have an Artwork Tag. That is why they all showed up on my RBZ MyGig. However, Uconnect today will NOT recognize any artwork tag made after 2011. This is what I did. My old PC finally gave up the ghost. My new PC has windows 10, and I purchased Windows 10 for Dummies. I did not copy iTunes from my back up. I reloaded all of my CDs back into the computer through WMP. By default, when loading a CD, WMP will go out on the net and search for any old, missing, out-dated artwork tag, and put it with the music. I copied WMP to my SD card, and I now have Cover Art for all my CDs, prior to 2011, which was a lot better than iTunes. I didn't have to search iTunes for missing art; WMP did it for me. Both Windows and iTunes want to know what we are listening to, so they can keep their Libraries up to date. WMP will NOT recognize any Apple product, so in order to change music on my iPod, I had to download my back-up of iTunes, so I can sync it with my iPod. When these new radios start to offer Apple Play and Google Play, I pray that they can be used with the 8.4. Maybe then this Artwork issue will finally be solved.

All this is for WMP 10. The older versions may have been more user friendly. This new version will NOT play a DVD!

Edited by dhh3