rear wheels are squealing. could this be wheel bearings ? 60,000 miles

Most likely the rear brake wear indicators. Too bad you live so far away. I have a set of new pads sitting here from my '11 that won't fit the '14.

lol i have a set of front pads for my 2011 that i traded in got a 2014 crossroad now...

The parking brake, if like the Nitro, consists of 2 skinny shoes inside of the rear rotors. Like the old drum brakes. Debris is known to get in there or rust can build up on the shoes if you never use the parking brake. Engage your parking brake slightly, to the point of the shoes engaging the rotors, and drive a short distance. See what happens. I have had my DJ since last June and have never once used my parking brake.

The parking brake, if like the Nitro, consists of 2 skinny shoes inside of the rear rotors. Like the old drum brakes. Debris is known to get in there or rust can build up on the shoes if you never use the parking brake. Engage your parking brake slightly, to the point of the shoes engaging the rotors, and drive a short distance. See what happens. I have had my DJ since last June and have never once used my parking brake.

The Journey shares brake components with the 5th generation Grand Caravan/Town and Country platform. The rear caliper is used as the parking brake (parking brake actuator is integrated into the rear caliper, resulting in the screw-type piston). There is no drum parking brake (like the 4th gen minivans had).

Squealing coming from the rear wheels is either going to be the break wear indicator (though odd if it's happening all the time), something stuck on a pad (either of which will be evident with a scored rotor), or a wheel bearing. They can't be re-greased or re-packed - just replace the whole component. This type of wheel bearing is not terribly difficult to work on (it's just a few bolts that whold the entire assembly to the control arm).

I'd almost prefer the drum-style parking brake with 4 wheel disk. It would make for easier pad replacement for the rear brakes.

Can you explain how it works? Is there still a cable from the parking brake pedal? I miss my parking brake handle on the center console.

It's still a floating caliper, just like the front brakes. There is still a spring loaded cable (spring is on the rear caliper parking brake actuator arm). When you push the brake pedal, the piston is activated mechanically instead of hydraulically. The piston rides on a screw and is adjusted outwards when there is enough movement in the parking break actuator (at least that's how I've been led to believe it works.) That's why you have to screw the rear piston back in.

You should always use the parking brake. The 'park' position for the transmission is really just a pin that locks the output shaft. It's not designed to hold the weight of the vehicle. USing the parking brake puts the entire weight of it on the rear calipers, and they are designed to hold it even on fairly steep grade. If you can drive up it, the parking brake will hold it.