Check engine light coming on with a couple different error codes

jhartley

In the past couple of months I have had a few issues with my 2011 Dodge Journey Mainstreet. I had to have my radiator replaced and at that time error code P0306: Cyl#6 misfire was coming up. My mechanic checked it out after replacing the radiator and couldn't find an issue.

About 3 weeks later the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light)/check engine light came on again and he looked it up and P0107: Manifold Absolute Pressure Circuit Low was coming up. Which he said could just be a dirty or stuck sensor.

Now last Thursday on my way home from work it stalled 6 times on the way home while driving and eventually the MIL, ESC (Electronic Stability Control) and ETC (Electronic Throttle Control) lights came on. With the ETC light blinking! I stopped at my mechanic and left it overnight for him to look at in the morning. He checked the codes and the P0306 code came up along with P2174: TAC System Sudden Low Air Flow. He took it out for a test drive twice on Friday and didn't have any issues driving it.

Now tonight the MIL is lit again and it wouldn't start and stay running when I tried to leave the doctor's office with my daughter. Eventually it started and didn't stall out, but I am really worried that this is going to be a huge money pit!

Any help someone can give would be appreciated!!

As far as I know it's still the original battery. I will have my mechanic check the voltage.
He also said he thinks that the plugs should be changed and the coil for #6, however he doesn't know if this will correct the problem and that there's a lot of labor involved to get to the plugs and coils. He doesn't want to do this without knowing that it's the issue. He said that's 4-6 hours of labor he doesn't really want to do, knowing how much that's going to cost and knowing that we don't have a lot of cash right now.

How many miles on the vehicle? I would be concerned with any mechanic who tells you they "think" the plugs need to be changed. That sounds like someone just willing to use your time and money to throw parts at it until the problem is fixed. If it were me, I'd pay the $100 diagnostic fee to have an actual Dodge dealer look at it.

As far as I know it's still the original battery. I will have my mechanic check the voltage.

He also said he thinks that the plugs should be changed and the coil for #6, however he doesn't know if this will correct the problem and that there's a lot of labor involved to get to the plugs and coils. He doesn't want to do this without knowing that it's the issue. He said that's 4-6 hours of labor he doesn't really want to do, knowing how much that's going to cost and knowing that we don't have a lot of cash right now.

Drive yourself over to an auto parts store and have them check the electrical system on your Journey (they'll all do it for you). A fully charged battery should be in the neighborhood of 12.5V while the vehicle is off. While running, it usually will be around 14.5V (I don't have exact numbers for the Journey, but a lead acid battery is lead acid battery, and it needs that much voltage to charge). Turn on the headlights should drop about 1V temporarily, then come back up as the alternator kicks in enough voltage to handle the load. If you don't have enough voltage to start the vehicle, replace the battery.

I worded that wrong, my mechanic doesn't just think it's the plugs; he suggests to have them changed as part of regular tune-up, but doesn't think it's going to fix the issue of the different codes that are coming up. I trust my mechanic (a rare occurrence I know!!) and if he wanted to waste my time and money I would be shocked! He has already had my car in the shop and checked the codes on 4 separate occasions now and has not charged me for any of it, even after I asked him what I owed him repeatedly; I was told it's on him!

How many miles are on the vehicle? Plugs dont need to be changed until 100,000 miles.

You beat me to it! I was typing that when a "new message" notification popped up.

Only the 2.4L needs to have plugs changed before 100,000 miles (because they're copper). Iridium or platinum plugs (like what is used in the Pentastar engine) are rated for 100,000 miles.

The battery can test to the correct voltage, even with a bad cell. FYI

• 2 weeks later...

Got my car back and they replaced the left cylinder head and gaskets. All covered under warranty!

This is a known problem for those of us with the Pentastar V6 engines. They are not doing an official recall! If you have a check engine light coming on for misfires take it to a Dodge dealership and they will fix it or you will be reimbursed if you already had it fixed.

Got my car back and they replaced the left cylinder head and gaskets. All covered under warranty!

This is a known problem for those of us with the Pentastar V6 engines. They are not doing an official recall! If you have a check engine light coming on for misfires take it to a Dodge dealership and they will fix it or you will be reimbursed if you already had it fixed.

It's not all Pentastar engines, just the early version of it. Any new product is going to have growing pains. Lots of Grand Caravan/Town and Country owners from the 2011 vintage had the same problem, but once the head is replaced, the issue goes away. Edited by bfurth

Yep, and when you're one of those in that "club" it sucks big time!!

What sucks? That they extended the warranty and are stepping up to the plate to help out their customers after the warranty has expired? It makes zero sense to recall every vehicle when it only affects a small percentage of them. To replace hundreds of thousands of them that don't need replacement would kill the company. The fact that they are standing behind the product and the repair is outstanding. Engines have problems, all of them... Kudos to FCA for doing the right thing when so many others aren't.

• 2 weeks later...

What sucks? That they extended the warranty and are stepping up to the plate to help out their customers after the warranty has expired? It makes zero sense to recall every vehicle when it only affects a small percentage of them. To replace hundreds of thousands of them that don't need replacement would kill the company. The fact that they are standing behind the product and the repair is outstanding. Engines have problems, all of them... Kudos to FCA for doing the right thing when so many others aren't.

No the problem in and of itself sucks. Do I really need to explain that??

No the problem in and of itself sucks. Do I really need to explain that??

Mechanical things have failures, especially when mass produced. My point was that the company is doing the right thing and while having the issue isn't ideal, it certainly isn't anything to complain about. If they weren't standing behind their product, THAT would suck... and would be something worth complaining about. If a free repair is the worst thing that happens to your vehicle I think you have yourself a winner.

I have a 2009 Dodge journey that I purchased in February of this year and every since I have taken it to back to the dealership 5 times because of the abs lights and the check engine light keep coming on. They have changed the codes they have done the same thing every time I bring it to them. They have changed the codes and it still on. I'm bringing it back today I wonder is there some else is going on how can they find that out.

I have a 2009 Dodge journey that I purchased in February of this year and every since I have taken it to back to the dealership 5 times because of the abs lights and the check engine light keep coming on. They have changed the codes they have done the same thing every time I bring it to them. They have changed the codes and it still on. I'm bringing it back today I wonder is there some else is going on how can they find that out.

What are the codes? Can't help you here without knowing them.

Changed the codes??? Do you mean that they cleared them? I agree, if you gave us the codes we could probably help... Otherwise, it sounds like your dealer is incompetent and it would be a good idea to try a different dealer.