2015 DJ check engine light

BrianS

Oh BOY!! Another "check engine light" question!!! :)

2015 Dodge Journey Limited w/v6 265km (a great start!!)

Started fine, drove fine. Drove about 10 minutes, shut off for 5, started up and drove off and noticed the DJ was surging, fast, slow. Noticed the check engine symbol was on. Pulled over, shut off and restarted and it was still on. Drove back home, surging seemed to disappear but engine lite was still on.

Is there a way to check engine codes without a reader on the '15 DJ? I could do it on my van, would think I can do it on the Journey as well. This one has the push button start.

Welcome to the Journey . . . . you might want to note for posterity that they ALL have pushbutton start. And, just for the record, all Canadian Limiteds, Crossroads and the R/T come only with the 6.

Mine was delivered with a dead battery. They wanted to boost it. I insisted they replace it, which they did.

It could be as simple as a loose gas cap . . . .

Can't help you with the check engine light issue and reading the codes, but I suspect not - someone who does know will be along shortly and provide the definitive answer, but why not just roll it by the dealer and let THEM handle the issue? After all, that's why you have a warranty.

Edited by bramfrank

Oh they will be the ultimate "handlers" of the problem, no doubt about it. If I wanted to work on something, I would have kept my 8 year old mini-van. I'm just curious as to what caused the light to come on. That, and if I should drive it to the dealer or tell them to send a flat bed for it.

Unfortunately you cannot check codes on your DJ without a scan tool. Your van would display codes if you cycled the key on and off three times, leaving it on the third time (assuming it was a Chrysler product, of course)

Have your DJ checked out at your dealer as soon as possible. It should never surge or idle erratically. Your engine light is on due to this issue, and it will likely occur again. If the light is not flashing and your dealership is reasonably close, you can drive it there. Otherwise, you may call Roadside Assistance and it will be towed to the nearest dealer at no charge to you.

• Official Dodge Support

Oh BOY!! Another "check engine light" question!!! :)

2015 Dodge Journey Limited w/v6 265km (a great start!!)

Started fine, drove fine. Drove about 10 minutes, shut off for 5, started up and drove off and noticed the DJ was surging, fast, slow. Noticed the check engine symbol was on. Pulled over, shut off and restarted and it was still on. Drove back home, surging seemed to disappear but engine lite was still on.

Is there a way to check engine codes without a reader on the '15 DJ? I could do it on my van, would think I can do it on the Journey as well. This one has the push button start.

Brian S,

If you have any concerns about driving your vehicle to your Dodge service facility, have Roadside Assistance tow you instead (# 1-800-363-4869).

You may invest in a code reader however this isn't terribly useful unless you're going to be repairing your vehicle yourself.

The Service dept. is going to go straight to scanning for any diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) anyhow.

Keep us posted if you can.

So, enroute to the dealer yesterday, trans would not shift out of low. Stopped twice, shut off and restart both times and it started shifting normally. Now check engine light is on again. Picked up today and apparently they replaced the input speed sensor. Hopefully, this will be it for a while. Now, if the leak in the sunroof has been repaired things would be perfect.

An input speed sensor can certainly cause all of the issues that you mentioned (except the sunroof leak!) If either of the speed sensors fail, then the transmission goes into "limp mode" or "fail safe" mode as it is also known. Limp mode allows the car to be "limped" into a repair facility at reduced power and speed rather than rendering the vehicle undriveable. Did you mention the sunroof leak while it was there, and if so, what was done to correct it?

• Official Dodge Support

So, enroute to the dealer yesterday, trans would not shift out of low. Stopped twice, shut off and restart both times and it started shifting normally. Now check engine light is on again. Picked up today and apparently they replaced the input speed sensor. Hopefully, this will be it for a while. Now, if the leak in the sunroof has been repaired things would be perfect.

BrianS,

Happy to hear things are moving in the right direction.

Water leaks can sometimes be attributed to plugged drain tubes, have you had a chance to verify?

If not, has your dealer performed an inspection?

An input speed sensor can certainly cause all of the issues that you mentioned (except the sunroof leak!) If either of the speed sensors fail, then the transmission goes into "limp mode" or "fail safe" mode as it is also known. Limp mode allows the car to be "limped" into a repair facility at reduced power and speed rather than rendering the vehicle undriveable. Did you mention the sunroof leak while it was there, and if so, what was done to correct it?

Yes, 2nd time in for the sunroof. It only leaks when I take it thru a car wash and the hi-pressure water hits the roof. And, it's not a flood, but even a few drops is a few drops too many. This time they "adjusted the rear weatherstripping" on it. Of course, since the DJ was just as dirty when I picked it up as when I dropped it off, I'm sure there was NO testing done on it to see if their repair was successful or not. I guess they leave the testing to me. :)

BrianS,

Happy to hear things are moving in the right direction.

Water leaks can sometimes be attributed to plugged drain tubes, have you had a chance to verify?

If not, has your dealer performed an inspection?

Shouldn't be plugged drains, but, yes, I am aware of that problem from another vehicle. This comes in at the back of the sunroof, and only when going thru a car wash, when the hi-pressure water hits it. Will see if they were successful this time. It doesn't appear that they tested their repair work, so if it ever stops raining here, I will test it.

That's good to hear Dave. I'm sure that is the case with the majority of DJ's produced. I can accept the fact of sensors being defective right from the start, or soon after the start as it were, it happens with anything that is mass produced. It's just frustrating when the problem is with MINE! :lol: Hopefully this one will be it. This is a GREAT vehicle, and overall I am very happy with it.

• Official Dodge Support

Shouldn't be plugged drains, but, yes, I am aware of that problem from another vehicle. This comes in at the back of the sunroof, and only when going thru a car wash, when the hi-pressure water hits it. Will see if they were successful this time. It doesn't appear that they tested their repair work, so if it ever stops raining here, I will test it.

Brians S,

Do you find the leak is present after visiting different car washes or one in particular?

Could be a misaligned seal or something to that effect.

Keep us posted.