Fresh air intake opening to filter box

Can anyone explain why the air opening (top of front grill) is blocked by two pieces of rubber front and side ? I would love to remove them but, seems to ridiculous. There must be a reason for them ? Limit the amount of cold air in the Winter ??????

If you are out of warranty do what you like but I go by the thinking that everything on the car has a purpose when designed by the engineers/designers. Unless someone posts info of credible real improvements that are made and many others have posted back with the same results from removing it then I would consider it other than that I'd just leave it alone.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

The rubber pieces are in effect air dams that guide the

cold air from the hood lead edge to the primary induction

opening.

If you remove them the air path will be removed and you

will be sucking a mixture of cold lead edge and hot engine

heat.

Yes that is a consideration I forgot about !

You posted at the same time that I did. I'll take a look at it later. Thank you to an informed DJ owner! I'm still learning, and have a long way to go!

OK. Curiosity got the best of me. I have one piece of pliable hollow rubber hooked to the bottom of the hood. It is the size (length) of the opening of the plastic intake, and by the dust, when the hood is closed, it sits 2 - 2.5" in front of the intake. Air is free to enter both sides, and the intake has a slight curve to guide the air in. Semi Ram Air?

• 2 months later...

Ok I removed the hollow front rubber piece. It can easily be put back on as originally positioned. Went to baseball last night and my 13 year old son noted how fast the car was when I was accelerating. I will give it a couple tanks of fuel and see if any difference in mileage also ? One thing for sure, when you punch this motor /car you can feel the FWD trying to pull the car faster. Will keep an eye on the K & N filter for any extra dirt or debris in the filter box now. The true test iif any improvement in acceleration will be if the wife mentions something LOL

"faser" was in general for the 3.6 L, you can feel the motor pulling on the DJ. I had a 3.8L in a 1979 sunbird that was fast off the hop but, this 3.6 motor can really move the heavy DJ along. More of a compliment than a statement about removal of the rubber weather strip. Sorry for sounding that this made a difference right away.

• 2 weeks later...

After 2 weeks no change in mileage and while driving in 3 thunderstorms water did not enter the intake to the filter box. As Journey S_EXT said, engineers / designers put the air damn there for a reason. Perhaps more so for the winter months with colder fresh air ? No obvious benefits with it removed at this time , so time to put it back on.