Remote Lock Gremlins

Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone here has experienced the same strange behavior my 2012 Crew has... With 29500k on it, seems kind of early and worrying to be having this kind of problem...

This started about a month ago, I noticed that if my FOBS got cold, they would no longer work, I thought it might be weak batteries and changed them out, the FOBS stopped working altogether... Put the original batteries back in, fobs worked ok, but I did take it into the dealership for them to have a look. When I picked it up, I was told, that they had found a loose wire and that the fobs would be fine.

Shortly thereafter, the fun began... Randomly, I could not lock/unlock/remote start/panic form either of my two fobs, proximity would allow me to unlock the vehicle. So off to the dealership it went, they could not reproduce the problem, for most of the day, worked perfectly, until they went to move the vehicle from the shop to the parking lot, neither fob worked to unlock etc... So, they replaced the FOBs.

Three days after, my wife and I went to a market (out in the country - this will matter later) and parekd the vehicle, we got out and I got about 10 feet away from it, could not lock it, both fobs completely inoperable. So i pressed the button on the door handle and locked the vehicle. We came back to the vehicle about 20 minutes later, my fobs worked perfectly. A few days later, the same thing occurred at my house.

So, off to the dealership AGAIN. Long story short, no problem found, when my wife picked up the vehicle, she was told that there was nothing more they could do and that we should call Chrysler Canada if we weren't happy... Then we were told that the problem was probably due to interference... Out in the country? nowhere near anything electronic around, not likely. They even suggested that we might be parking too close to shopping carts (yes shopping carts, the ones that have electronics in them to prevent them from being removed from the parking lot). No shopping carts at the market, nor in my driveway...

So i called Chrysler Canada and eventually spoke to a case manager who told me, there aren't any codes in the vehicle, nothing we can do. She asked me to log all occurences, and get this, if it happens again, move the vehicle 20 feet and try it again.

I have begun a log, had two more ocurrences since then and will start videotaping what is going on so they cannot say that it is not happening again...

I equate this to walkietalkie's, if you lose communications, replace one end and if it doesn't work, replace the other end.

From a technical standpoint, can anyone tell me what components of the vehicle make up the FOB remote functionality? Are they easily replaced?

Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what was the resolution?

I'd appreciate any feedback...

Thanks in advance, Jeff

There is a receiver in side the vehicle. I have no idea where it is. I have never used either FOB. I always lock it with the little black button on the door handle, and unlock it with either the door handle or button on the tailgate.

my 2014 acts up every so often. i will get out then the wife gets out pushes the button on the inside to lock and then shut the door and by the time we get towards the back of the car or about 5-10 feet away it will beep 3 times like the keys are in it. cant get it to do it for the dealer so they cant fix it not a big deal but it does irritate me some has also done the same thing when i am by myself when i push the lock button, oh well trying to get in the habit of using the remote to lock it...

My 2014 also sometimes thinks the FOB is in the vehicle even after I've walked away - at least it lets me know with those annoying horn blasts and I can press the lock button. I'd like to get that fixed because it never happened with my 2011 and it is extremely annoying.

However for the topic at hand, the OP's dealer needs a lesson on common sense, since logically both FOBS can't go bad at the same. It can only be something common to the two remotes - and that would be the vehicle's FOB receiver, which is located above the headliner in the left rear corner of the vehicle, or it's associated wiring.

And, since a receiver replacement necessitates replacing the FOBs as well (you can't reprogram the FOBs once they are mated to a receiver), if you don't already have it, and considering that it is a function of the receiver that they are about to change in any case you just might want to ask how much extra they might charge to put in the remote start version of the receiver (the function is implemented in that module) and enable it with the appropriate sales code. After all it is very cold this year up here in Canada and having remote start might be a good thing to have.

Lastly, if you plan to hang on to the vehicle you might also want to consider buying an extended warranty from Chrysler (DO NOT BUY AFTERMARKET), since, as you have been experiencing, troubleshooting these electronic problems can be hit or miss, with the dealers having a less than stellar record of hits and they expect YOU to pay for the misses.

Edited by bramfrank

I have NEVER used my fob to lock or unlock the vehicle, always used the handles or the fob for my remote start (that thing works great for up to 3,000 feet!). I would agree with bramfrank though... sounds like a receiver issue. That is where I would start at least.