Trailer Hitch Time ...

DJ_AX

Before buying the ball mount, you need to have your hitch in place and then measure if you need a 2" rise, or 2" drop, etc. You need to have your DJ and trailer on a flat, level surface, and you need a level to determine how the trailer sits. Then measure the distance between the center of the square hole in the hitch to the ground and the inside of the ball on your trailer to the ground. This will determine if you need a rise or drop with the ball mount.

I see trailers all the time where the trailer hitch is either too high or too low. Makes for bad handling.

When I'm ready for a hitch, I am going to let my Dealer do the installation so I can use the built in trailer anti sway electronics.

Edited by dhh3

I believe it is. I had this done to my Nitro. The harness for the Nitro connected to both sides of the tail lights, added a 7 pin connector and then ran all the way to the front and tied into the battery and TIPM (to get the anti sway) and had a red wire inside by the steering column to add an electronic trailer brake controler.

I have a feeling that all of this is in the connector by the spare, on the DJ but the only way to get the anti sway to work would be to use the mopar harness and not a set of aftermarket T connectors on the tail lights.

Someone else with more knowledge of the DJ is welcome to tell me I'm wrong, because I'm still fairly new here and still learning my DJ. In fact, I had to push my front DEF button twice today to get it to work, but that is another story (Thread)!

Edited by dhh3

• 1 month later...

To take advantage of the built I anti-sway control, does your DJ need to be equipped with the factory trailer tow package (wireing, heavy duty cooler)??

Look at your spare. If the is a blue connector that just ends, you have access to the anti sway, but you have to use the Mopar harness which would plug into this.

Mine has the oil cooler listed as a separate listing on my door sticker. I do not know if all DJs come with the oil cooler.

• 1 month later...

What do you think the anti sway actually does?. There's no connection for that system to the trailer. The electronic sway control is part of the stability control and has nothing to do with the trailer wiring or the hitch. It reacts to the side to side forces applied to the vehicle by the trailer in the same way it would if the rear of the car was sliding. The wiring that comes with the trailer tow package is just for the lights and nothing more. The bonus to the factory kit is it has a power wire run to it so you don't have to run one from the battery for an aftermarket converter.

What do you think the anti sway actually does?. There's no connection for that system to the trailer. The electronic sway control is part of the stability control and has nothing to do with the trailer wiring or the hitch. It reacts to the side to side forces applied to the vehicle by the trailer in the same way it would if the rear of the car was sliding. The wiring that comes with the trailer tow package is just for the lights and nothing more. The bonus to the factory kit is it has a power wire run to it so you don't have to run one from the battery for an aftermarket converter.

I think that it actually provides a 7-pin harness, so a bit more than lights, but yes you are correct about the anti-sway.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a local trailer shop weld a hitch to my Crossroad. They notched out the rear lower fascia. Very clean look with only 3" - 4" showing out of the fascia. Extends shy of the bumper projection. No ability to add a photo unfortunately, seems my IMac OS doesn't compute here. If someone knows a work around let me know.