shaking steering

Tito Mon

my journey has 50,000 km on it,, everytime my speed goes up to 80 kph i noticed there was a small shaking from the steering wheel,, when theres a bump i feel it too,, i want the way it used to be before as a new,, whats wrong with that?is that a tie rod or a ball joint? i'm leaving here in toronto area,, is that midas auto shop can do that problem? how much it will cost to me to fix that... thank you guys,,,

When you feel the shake, let go of the steering wheel. If the car still tracks straight, your alignment is OK. If it pulls to one side or the other, this would indicate alignment is out. I agree that it could be a balance issue. What kind of wheels do you have? My Crossroad wheels have no lip; therefore there are stick on paste weights on the inside of the wheel. If your wheels have no lip, and use stick on weights, these are known to fall off. This could cause the shake.

My Dad used to call it a shimmy: this indicated ball joints or tie rods on the older cars.

My Dad used to call it a shimmy: this indicated ball joints or tie rods on the older cars.

Not disagreeing with you cause everyone uses different terms, but a shimmy to me is a cyclic vibration that comes and goes at a constant speed. I.e. It's there one minute, gone the next, but starts again. On my Dakota, there was a shimmy and it was caused by out of balance tires. It was a vibration I could feel everywhere. Seat, floor, steering wheel.

I,m using winter tire now.. Still i feel shaking in my steering wheel.. When i was in original tire I feel it too.. It already they balance it from mr lube when they put the winter tire.. It is not too much shake.. But i,m not feel comfort if there a little shake.. Do you think it is the rotor guys? Thanks for the replying guys.. It helps a lot..

• Official Dodge Support

I,m using winter tire now.. Still i feel shaking in my steering wheel.. When i was in original tire I feel it too.. It already they balance it from mr lube when they put the winter tire.. It is not too much shake.. But i,m not feel comfort if there a little shake.. Do you think it is the rotor guys? Thanks for the replying guys.. It helps a lot..

Tito Mon,

I would not hesitate to bring your vehicle to a Dodge dealer considering you've eliminated some of the basic possibilities (wheels, balancing etc.).

I'm certain a quick test drive and inspection would reveal the cause of the vibration.

All the best!

Not sure how the Canadian warranty works, is the vehicle still under warranty? I would take it in and have it diagnosed. If it is as obvious as you state they should be able to diagnose it and tell you if it is covered. If it isn't then you can always take it to another shop to have the work done at a lower rate.