Transmission Issue

Jason Crundwell

I purchased a 2011 Journey Lux used this summer. ~40,000 miles.

This afternoon, when I went to pick my daughter from Daycare, about a block or two into my drive as I stopped at an intersection the car started shaking. It continued for a moment then appeared fine, until I tried backing up. The shaking returned.

I drove home in manual mode, 2nd gear the transmission sounded fine, but in 3rd and 4th gears had some shaking and the noises return.

This is the first cold day of the year, but not artic cold. Mid-20s - Mid 30s.

Does the Powertrain Warranty transfer if you purchase a car used? This is the first time I've owned a newer model car / miles.

Any suggestions, advice from the community would sure be apprecaited.

Dealer said it was 100% covered -- even the tow.

I couldn't get it out of the garage this morning in neutral. Had to push it back in reverse and there must be just teeth bouncing around in there.

Thanks for the advice. This was my first post, but I have done a lot of reading on this site. Love this car.

Edited by Jason Crundwell

• 1 month later...

What does that do? Please elaborate for the ones not able to read "English" :idea:

A torque converter in an automatic performs the same job as a clutch in a manual transmission...transferring power to the wheels. There is typically some slippage in a torque converter which sacrifices mileage. A "lock-up" torque converter limits that slippage by using an increased pulse of pressure around the 45-50 mph mark.

• 1 month later...

My 2011 Dodge Journey LUX has transmission problems. The first time was after 16000 miles under warranty. The transmission would get stuck in 3rd gear and not shift. If I turned off engine and restarted it would be Ok. Engine ckeck light came on. Dealer repaired transmission.

But at 42000 the transmission started making a whining noise. Took it back to dealer. They charged me $2700 to fix problem.

Now at 49000 miles the transmission is not shifting again and gets stuck in 3rd gear. The check engine light is on again.

I need to take it back to dealer and hope they aren't going to charge me another $2700 to fix it. It is obviously a lemon transmission.

lance6969, on 12 Feb 2015 - 03:55 AM, said:

My 2011 Dodge Journey LUX has transmission problems. The first time was after 16000 miles under warranty. The transmission would get stuck in 3rd gear and not shift. If I turned off engine and restarted it would be Ok. Engine ckeck light came on. Dealer repaired transmission.

But at 42000 the transmission started making a whining noise. Took it back to dealer. They charged me $2700 to fix problem.

Now at 49000 miles the transmission is not shifting again and gets stuck in 3rd gear. The check engine light is on again.

I need to take it back to dealer and hope they aren't going to charge me another $2700 to fix it. It is obviously a lemon transmission.

Sorry for your problems. Good luck and keep us informed.

What was wrong with it each time??? The same thing? If so, at least you have a paper trail showing the ongoing issues...

Definitely don't let them charge you for it again. They just "fixed" it and should back up the work they did. They screwed something up. I would fight it like all hell if they tried charging me again 7k miles later!

Edited by onecrazyfoo4u

• 2 weeks later...

Definitely don't let them charge you for it again. They just "fixed" it and should back up the work they did. They screwed something up. I would fight it like all hell if they tried charging me again 7k miles later!

The powertrain warranty is 5 years/100,000 miles (or kms, if you are in Canada). That vehicle should still covered under it by both mileage and years. That they charged anything (unless it was a control module, which is not covered under the powertrain warranty) would have me screaming to customer service over at Dodge/Chrysler (not the dealer). Any new part from a dealer also should carry a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty (or whatever is left on the factory, powertrain, or any service contract you may have).

And yes, the powertrain warranty (2010 and later) is transferable. The 2008/2009 lifetime powertrain only applies to the first owner, and only if you bring it in for the mandatory inspection at the specified times.