Dear Ma Ma Nature

hockey_puck

Ya ya, whether you like it or not, Winter will arrive. Although I'm not sure what you softies in NC consider winter to be. Folks on the Prairie (US and Canada) do giggle when CNN shows mayhem, panic and hand wringing at the sight of 5 cm. of snow (Translation for the Yankee's - 2 inches) :lol: Or worse, when a U.S. weather person refers to a cold front from the north as "cold Canadian air" Those evil Canucks! LOL

The leaves are raked, split and replanted the perennials and cut the grass for likely the last time. One can never be too prepared.

BTW. Only 3 countries on this planet officially use the "old" imperial measurement.

Liberia
Myanmar (a.k.a. “the country formerly known as Burma”)
United States of America

:)

I'm not even a little bit ready... so hold on a bit with the winter weather please!

It wasn't too long ago that you Canadians were using the imperial system still... I get it, sometimes it's easier to give in than it is to remain strong, I won't hold it against you (cough...conformists...cough). B)

It was almost 80 F (27 C) here yesterday. We wont start getting real cold until late December unless Canada decides to send us another polar vortex....They are predicting a terrible winter in NC this year. 150-200% more ice/snow than last year, so that means maybe 2-3".....the city will completely shut down.... :lol:

Took the snowblower out to the top of the driveway this am

and tuned it up, this is a ritual I do every year at this time just to

piss the neighbors off.

We as a rule don't get much snow in our area and have only

had 3 seriously heavy snowfalls since 1975.

All my fwd Mopars have coped well without snowtires.

Edited by bigtsr

>I'm not even a little bit ready... so hold on a bit with the winter weather please!

Awww comeon, You're in Minnesota! Home of Frostbite Falls. Rocky and Bullwinkle.

>It wasn't too long ago that you Canadians were using the imperial system still... I get it, sometimes it's easier to give in than it is to remain strong, I won't hold it against you (cough...conformists...cough). B)

We started with temps back in 1975. Other stuff later. Us old farts are bilingual with measurements.

It was almost 80 F (27 C) here yesterday. We wont start getting real cold until late December unless Canada decides to send us another polar vortex....They are predicting a terrible winter in NC this year. 150-200% more ice/snow than last year, so that means maybe 2-3".....the city will completely shut down.... :lol:

We WILL send you another polar vortex. Unless you surrender, Minnesota (for the hockey) North Dakota (for the oil) and Hawaii (we need a warm spot to go in winter) They'd all make fine Canadian Provinces.

You guys need some cheese with that whine? We had the ground covered here on Sept.9 for the first time and got about four inches yesterday. Current temp is 18F for those who can't do the conversion. :rockon:

Who's whining? And you never gave us the chance to do the conversion, so don't assume we can't!!

Will be cold here soon enough, but for now I shall not use the "S" word... Probably should tune up the snow blower though. Not for the driveway, the association takes care of that...need it to get the pond cleared off for some free hockey!! Woot!

Whats a snowblower??? :lol:

I buy a throw away snow shovel from lowes every fall. Use it once or twice, or sometimes never at all. When we do get snow, it falls one day, looks nice and pretty the next and is usually gone by the third day. It has to be a very specific set of circmumstances for us to get any sigificant amount all at once. Mostly we get sleet/freezing rain.

I used to travel to Olds quite frequently for work (until my company got bought out and they sold the plant there). I always wanted to go in the winter but never got a chance to. They said the temps got to -40 C. I can't begine to imagine what thats like. If it gets below 20 (F) here, I dont go out.

Whats a snowblower??? :lol:

I buy a throw away snow shovel from lowes every fall. Use it once or twice, or sometimes never at all. When we do get snow, it falls one day, looks nice and pretty the next and is usually gone by the third day. It has to be a very specific set of circmumstances for us to get any sigificant amount all at once. Mostly we get sleet/freezing rain.

I used to travel to Olds quite frequently for work (until my company got bought out and they sold the plant there). I always wanted to go in the winter but never got a chance to. They said the temps got to -40 C. I can't begine to imagine what thats like. If it gets below 20 (F) here, I dont go out.

A snowblower is a machine that blows snow onto the neighbors driveway so that you don't have spend time and energy shoveling the crap...

-40C is also -40F (take that magoo!)... That's pretty chilly, but far from uncommon, even here in the states. I actually love winter. The people who complain about it have either never taken the time to enjoy it, or have forgotten about all the fun they used to have before they got old and grumpy. There are so many things that you can do in the winter to keep yourself busy and have a blast. Until I'm too old to have fun with it, I will likely live where I can enjoy it.

A snowblower is a machine that blows snow onto the neighbors driveway so that you don't have spend time and energy shoveling the crap...

-40C is also -40F (take that magoo!)... That's pretty chilly, but far from uncommon, even here in the states. I actually love winter. The people who complain about it have either never taken the time to enjoy it, or have forgotten about all the fun they used to have before they got old and grumpy. There are so many things that you can do in the winter to keep yourself busy and have a blast. Until I'm too old to have fun with it, I will likely live where I can enjoy it.

And no skeeters!!!

you started the change then, but when was it fully implemented??

As with anything of that magnitude the switchover was not instantaneous for everyone. But our government changed over immediately, Even back in 1977 we had to accept the change.

In 1977, I was taking Architecture in post secondary school in Calgary, Alberta, so the change over from feet and inches to meters and millimeters was especially painful. I will admit many measurements today I still use the imperial system, I still refer my weight in pounds, my height in feet and inches yet temperature and distance to name a few are degrees centigrade and kilometers. Rightly or wrongly Canada's biggest trading partner is the US so a lot of our exports are just "soft" converted as opposed to "hard" converted. I am definately not so arrogant to say the metric system is better, but IMO a system based on 10's is much easier to work with.

As an example our gas mileage is based on consumption, liters/100 kms not a hypothetical number, like mpg When we talk about a car’s fuel economy, what we want to know is how much fuel does it use, not how far does it go. mpg answers the latter question, while l/100km is what gives us the answer we want. - see http://www.skepticblog.org/2012/05/24/mpg-vs-l100km/. You also actually also use US gallons as opposed to Imperial gallons.

I certainly mean no disrespect to the to the American system, the metric system does offer some advantages.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

As with anything of that magnitude the switchover was not instantaneous for everyone. But our government changed over immediately, Even back in 1977 we had to accept the change.

In 1977, I was taking Architecture in post secondary school in Calgary, Alberta, so the change over from feet and inches to meters and millimeters was especially painful. I will admit many measurements today I still use the imperial system, I still refer my weight in pounds, my height in feet and inches yet temperature and distance to name a few are degrees centigrade and kilometers. Rightly or wrongly Canada's biggest trading partner is the US so a lot of our exports are just "soft" converted as opposed to "hard" converted. I am definately not so arrogant to say the metric system is better, but IMO a system based on 10's is much easier to work with.

As an example our gas mileage is based on consumption, liters/100 kms not a hypothetical number, like mpg When we talk about a car’s fuel economy, what we want to know is how much fuel does it use, not how far does it go. mpg answers the latter question, while l/100km is what gives us the answer we want. - see http://www.skepticblog.org/2012/05/24/mpg-vs-l100km/. You also actually also use US gallons as opposed to Imperial gallons.

I certainly mean no disrespect to the to the American system, the metric system does offer some advantages.

Terry

Working with 10's certainly is easier, can't argue that! I work in the medical device industry, so we use both systems for just about everything... It can become quite annoying at times, but as long as we sell product within the US and outside of the US, we have no option.

It can become quite annoying at times, but as long as we sell product within the US and outside of the US, we have no option.

There is no doubt trying to use both systems is and can be very annoying at times, thus a total immersion in a system is necessary. I am very guilty of "hanging" on to the old system for some things yet quick to embrace the new, Must be my age.......LOL. As I stated earlier my weight is still in pounds, my height is still in feet and inches but temperature is in degrees Celcius and distance is in kilometers etc.

Terry

There is no doubt trying to use both systems is and can be very annoying at times, thus a total immersion in a system is necessary. I am very guilty of "hanging" on to the old system for some things yet quick to embrace the new, Must be my age.......LOL. As I stated earlier my weight is still in pounds, my height is still in feet and inches but temperature is in degrees Celcius and distance is in kilometers etc.

Terry

I like to use Kilos for my weight. That way the number is lower Lol!

I'm in pharma. We have some scales that weigh in kg's, some in lbs. frustrating from a calibration standpoint since all our test weights are in kg. Temp readouts in F and C, depending on what part of the plant I'm in. A 1500 liter batch tank that has a flowmeter that reads in gpm. Lol

Edited by jkeaton