2012 2.4 Four Cylinder Oil Change Interval??

garcialuis07

I know that the owners manual states that the vehicle has an automatic oil change reminder when it needs to be changed. But every one I have spoken to at the dealer feels that the oil change should be changed on the 2.4 engine at 3k. I know that as long as I follow the maintenance and not exceed the miles that that is ok with Chrysler. But I'm a bit of a traditionalist and I know this powertrain isn't exactly the newest set up. Should I wait for the indicator and save my self some money or just keep doing as I have been changing at 3k miles?

Depends on what kind of oil you are using and the type of driving you are doing. Conventional oil and city driving would require oil changes to be a little sooner than if you are mainly doing all highway driving. Although, the 3000 mile mark is a little early for an oil change and for the dealer they would prefer that OCI for business....4 - 5,000 miles / 6 months seems more reasonable with conventional oil. As long you do not exceed what is stated in your owners manual you will be fine.

You could probably go 18,000 and be safe... Change it when the light turns on, use good oil and don't worry about it. Does your dealer do your oil changes by chance? Only reason I could think that they would blow smoke up your ass about oil changes is because they want the business... I would steer clear of that dealer.

3000 miles? Your dealer is trying to scam you for more service revenue - I would quickly find another dealer before he hits you up for serious money.

Oil needs to be changed at fairly short intervals for two reasons; Dirt and additive breakdown. A good filter handles most of the dirt issues. Impactful long chain molecule shearing takes more time than you will leave the oil in the crankcase for.

You do not need synthetic oil - it does last longer before breaking down, but we're talking tens of thousands of miles and hundred upon hundreds of hours of operation - the scheduled and calculated oil changes are very conservative, even for 'dyno' oil.

So, listen to the oil change reminder and you'll be fine - and if you get your oil changed at Costco you'll be getting synthetic anyway (they stopped offering dyno oil earlier this year) and save a bundle over what the dealer charges, though you may need to reset the reminder yourself.

Edited by bramfrank

You could probably go 18,000 and be safe.

I wouldn't try that with conventional oil. Oil changes are done cheap at most places and extremely cheap if done by yourself so I don't see the need to try and go that amount of distance when even the oil manufacture won't endorse that amount of mileage between oil changes.....even if the oil lasted that long your filter doesn't. Now, if we are talking about a good quality synthetic and you put on a lot of highway miles daily then yes 18,000 miles is no problem but I'd change the filter at 9,000.

I wouldn't try that with conventional oil. Oil changes are done cheap at most places and extremely cheap if done by yourself so I don't see the need to try and go that amount of distance when even the oil manufacture won't endorse that amount of mileage between oil changes.....even if the oil lasted that long your filter doesn't. Now, if we are talking about a good quality synthetic and you put on a lot of highway miles daily then yes 18,000 miles is no problem but I'd change the filter at 9,000.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone go that long, just stating that if you did and then had the oil tested, the results would likely be that the oil was still good. Definitely stay within the bounds of the warranty.

• Official Dodge Support

I know that the owners manual states that the vehicle has an automatic oil change reminder when it needs to be changed. But every one I have spoken to at the dealer feels that the oil change should be changed on the 2.4 engine at 3k. I know that as long as I follow the maintenance and not exceed the miles that that is ok with Chrysler. But I'm a bit of a traditionalist and I know this powertrain isn't exactly the newest set up. Should I wait for the indicator and save my self some money or just keep doing as I have been changing at 3k miles?

Follow the maintenance guidelines in the owner's manual.