2012 Dodge Caravan Left Rear Caliper Frozen

I noticed a scraping noise on the rear of my 2012 Dodge Caravan, It just turned 21000 miles. I thought it was just some rust on the rotors which usually happens when I do not drive it much. It usually stops after driving it for a few minutes. Up to this point I did not hear any noise at all. It did not go away, my husband put the van up on our lift and pulled the left rear wheel. Upon inspection the caliper was frozen,obviously for quite a while. I just had the van inspected in April. With the condition of the rotor, brake and caliper at this time. It should have been noticed at inspection. I googled the problem to see if there has been any recalls, I came across several complaints about this problem. One that had just been filed on 08/13/2014 that was exactly the same as mine. He said he took it and that they would replace the caliper and rotor if it was the caliper that was froze. Because when they put it on their lift and the caliper worked they would not replace it for no cost. Has anyone here ran into the same problem? I can see that the brakes in general are a common problem on Chrysler products as a whole. I am a responsible driver aware of the mechanics of any vehicle I drive, taking excellent care of my vehicle.

• Official Dodge Support

I noticed a scraping noise on the rear of my 2012 Dodge Caravan, It just turned 21000 miles. I thought it was just some rust on the rotors which usually happens when I do not drive it much. It usually stops after driving it for a few minutes. Up to this point I did not hear any noise at all. It did not go away, my husband put the van up on our lift and pulled the left rear wheel. Upon inspection the caliper was frozen,obviously for quite a while. I just had the van inspected in April. With the condition of the rotor, brake and caliper at this time. It should have been noticed at inspection. I googled the problem to see if there has been any recalls, I came across several complaints about this problem. One that had just been filed on 08/13/2014 that was exactly the same as mine. He said he took it and that they would replace the caliper and rotor if it was the caliper that was froze. Because when they put it on their lift and the caliper worked they would not replace it for no cost. Has anyone here ran into the same problem? I can see that the brakes in general are a common problem on Chrysler products as a whole. I am a responsible driver aware of the mechanics of any vehicle I drive, taking excellent care of my vehicle.

Have you contacted your servicing dealer as it seems your vehicle maybe still under 3yr/36,000 mile warranty? The dealer can diagnose and confirm if there is a caliper issue which is covered by the warranty.

• 2 months later...

You could also consider going with the bigger brake upgrade which should lessen all those rotor & pad replacements. It will be an expensive upgrade if done by the dealer....maybe a private shop could work out a sweet deal for you using brake parts from a scrap yard (if available). There is a thread about switching to bigger brakes in this forum if you are interested.

When you replace rotors and pads, go with high quality aftermarket rather than the OEM stuff. Cheaper and lasts longer. Rock Auto has great prices on this stuff and ships to Canada. And for heavens sake, use ceramic pads and keep your wheels cleaner!

I love Rockauto! :)

3rd set of rear brakes going on my 2012 dodge journey tomorrow. Failed the MVI again.

Just had the rear brakes and rotors replaced in Sept 2013. Seems to be an issue with the brakes on these cars.

Yes, we know you have brake problems. No need to post in every thread about it. Also, my DJ has zero brake problems, so your statement has no merit. I realize you need to vent but really.. Edited by jkeaton

Agree with posts about upgrading... If you keep having issues with the same parts, does it really make sense to keep installing them? Try something new and maybe you will get better results. Rockauto is a great resource for parts, as stated, and the upgrade to the newer brakes has been done by a few people on the forum with great success and at a reasonable price. I understand that the earlier brakes weren't quite enough to handle the weight of this vehicle, but doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results doesn't make a lot of sense...

Welcome to the forum.