Question For all the Geeks

Hi All

I have a 2012 DJ with the 8.4 uconnect no nav. I Just got it and love it. Was wondering is there any way to mirror what is on my phone onto the screen. Eg. If I am using the Google maps app on my Samsung S3, is there any way to send what ever is on my phone screen to the uconnect display via either USB or BT.

Just Wondering

Bunch of problems with the concept. Your phone, most likely, is not designed to port a static or live image of its desktop apps screen...possibly by mini-HDMI, but, I'm not aware of a phone with one of those ports; tablets, yes, but, phones, not likely. Even if you could find an app that would send such an image (either capture or live) via Bluetooth or USB, the UConnect software doesn't have the codex to handle that input. The UConnect doesn't clone your phone, it is designed to operate the phone functions (call, answer, etc.) via Bluetooth, but, it doesn't even read the contacts list; it downloads it to its temporary memory where it resides until you turn the car off. Perhaps, in the future, that capability (cloning your phone completely, including apps) will be out there, but, current tech is having trouble just handling Messaging...UConnect doesn't even do that, but, I think Ford's MS version in their system can. There is also a whole host of issues with the complete cloning of a cell phone; security and safety being the foremost of them. If it could clone your phone, what's to prevent you from viewing the latest television show or football game while cruising down the road?

So... Short answer: No

To be honest, for the security and safety reasons, I hope that technology never does make it to the car's front seat. Even with hands free telephone use, there are IMO, far too many distractions for the driver now and while, even I, curse a bit when I have to stop the car to make a major route change on the Nav screen, I can understand and applaud the software designers for that safety feature.

Edited by webslave

From the top of my head, this may work:

If your S3 supports screen casting, you can [edit: mirror] your screen to an HDMI output using the Chromecast. If not, the newer android phones will support this feature.

Your Journey has to have the Lockpick which allows you to enable external video input. Plug the Chromecast into the Lockpick using some sort of HDMI to RCA adapter.

But I don't know how well the resolution will translate between the two devices.

And another problem is you can't control the touch input through the uConnect screen.

Edited by RickyCheung

Bunch of problems with the concept. Your phone, most likely, is not designed to port a static or live image of its desktop apps screen...possibly by mini-HDMI, but, I'm not aware of a phone with one of those ports; tablets, yes, but, phones, not likely. Even if you could find an app that would send such an image (either capture or live) via Bluetooth or USB, the UConnect software doesn't have the codex to handle that input. The UConnect doesn't clone your phone, it is designed to operate the phone functions (call, answer, etc.) via Bluetooth, but, it doesn't even read the contacts list; it downloads it to its temporary memory where it resides until you turn the car off. Perhaps, in the future, that capability (cloning your phone completely, including apps) will be out there, but, current tech is having trouble just handling Messaging...UConnect doesn't even do that, but, I think Ford's MS version in their system can. There is also a whole host of issues with the complete cloning of a cell phone; security and safety being the foremost of them. If it could clone your phone, what's to prevent you from viewing the latest television show or football game while cruising down the road?

So... Short answer: No

To be honest, for the security and safety reasons, I hope that technology never does make it to the car's front seat. Even with hands free telephone use, there are IMO, far too many distractions for the driver now and while, even I, curse a bit when I have to stop the car to make a major route change on the Nav screen, I can understand and applaud the software designers for that safety feature.

I find it interesting that laws are being passed left and right about cell phone use in moving vehicles, yet manufacturers are cramming more and more functions into a touch screen that requires you to take your eyes off the road to make any adjustment to anything. IMO, dials and knobs are much less distracting and easier to operate while driving.

Agreed... I'm irritated that my Journey does not have hard buttons for simple things like the heated seats and heated steering wheel. I can easily adjust the climate control, radio volume, etc. with little to no time with my eyes off the road. However anything that requires using the touch screen means I need to take my eyes off the road for more than a few seconds, or the task takes longer as I glance back and forth.

In my 300M, I've replaced the radio with an android tablet to get the best nav experience and to have my entire music library in the car and directly connected to the audio system. I chose Android because I can customize the home screens to make it car friendly. BUT when the Android L update lands this fall and Motorola pushes it to my Moto X, I'm seriously looking into aftermarket options. Kenwood, JVC, Alpine, Pioneer, Panasonic all signed onto the Open Automotive Alliance and will produce head units that take advantage of Google's Android Auto system. It's a very clever system that uses your smartphone for all of the nifty things we want to do in the car. You plug the phone into the USB, at which point the phone's screen displays nothing more than a stylized "A" and doesn't do anything other than mirror itself to the radio screen. The radio screen takes all of the functions of the phone and presents them to you in a very clean and very simple way that looks to do a fantastic job of reducing not only driver distraction, but driver irritation as well. It's very clean and very simple/easy to use. I like the bragging right of saying I have an internet tablet instead of an actual radio, but I think the Google Android Auto (and the Apple CarPlay that works in much the same fashion) will solve almost all of the infotainment problems that have come up in the last ten years.

I'm crossing my fingers that there might be a way to adapt the Uconnect system used in the Journey and millions of other Chrysler cars to use Android Auto or Apple Car Play via firmware flashing, since Chrysler Group and Fiat S.p.A also signed onto the OAA. May not happen since everyone keeps saying it would be for 2015 vehicles and onward, and aftermarket options don't look to exist given the 8.4 controls more than the radio.

I find it interesting that laws are being passed left and right about cell phone use in moving vehicles, yet manufacturers are cramming more and more functions into a touch screen that requires you to take your eyes off the road to make any adjustment to anything. IMO, dials and knobs are much less distracting and easier to operate while driving.

Personally, I like that they still give me the opportunity to think for myself. I'm so sick of everything being controlled for me. Giving me the ability to choose how my vehicle interacts with me is one of my favorite things about it. Besides, most of the functions one would use while driving can be controlled via voice commands. The ones that are tough to change shouldn't be changed while driving anyway and the "need" to do so should be relatively non-existent...

If I could talk to my DJ and it would listen that would be great.....changing the radio channel (yes, I still listen to the radio) requires me to look at the screen. :)

So do I. I cant justify spending 14$ per month for something thats otherwise free. Btw left rear steering wheel control tunes up and down.

If I could talk to my DJ and it would listen that would be great.....changing the radio channel (yes, I still listen to the radio) requires me to look at the screen. :)

Hmmm.... Mine listens quite well. You can change the channel with voice commands.

The voice command in the Uconnect system is fairly rudimentary. And infuriating. I don't bother with it at all. I even still have to use my phone to start a call because the car doesn't understand me. Hence my excitement for Android Auto, which uses Google Now and the excellent voice dictation of that service. Heck if I can rescue my older Nexus tablet from whatever is causing it not to function right now, I'm going to try and mount it ahead of the cubby under the climate control and have that be the epicenter of my entertainment and navigation and hands-free calling.

If you have only the 4.3 screen then pushing the phone

handset emblem allows you to say the name of the person/place

exactly as entered in your cells phonebook/contact listing.

Having said that it's worth noting that ambient noise plays havoc

with any of these voice operated systems and clear diction/speaking

is a definite requirement along with contact names which are short

and precise.