Plastic next to front seats breaking

Talonstorm

I have a 2012 Journey Crew with leather heated seats. There is a plastic piece next to the outside edge of the front seats on both the passenger and drivers side. That piece first broke on the passenger side. Initially I thought my dad must have leaned on it (he rides with me a lot). But now the same piece broke on the drivers side (I'm the only driver and I don't lean on that piece). Has anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks, Tina

Yes I had the passenger side break, I attributed it to my wifes need (short legs)

to sit on the edge as she gets in the DJ.

My side is good as I am tall and sit directly on the seat when getting in.

At first I used Gorilla Glue to re-attach the piece of plastic that broke

but a month later it broke again.

I then used a heavy duty plastic tie wrap and drilled 2 small holes

in the cover and tie wrapped it to the steel support and it has been

fine for over a year.

passenger side broke once during warrenty, dealer replaced then broke again after warrenty was expired so i tried glueing the hook back on but didnt hold so i held the part in place and drilled a hole then used a small black screw thur the plastic into the metal base no more problems and looks okay.

• 4 weeks later...

My husband just broke mine! Can the piece be ordered?

Search "Mopar Wholesale" on the internet and look at one of the wholesaler's sites. You will get a much better price than at the dealer. Be prepared to try and find it in a bunch of parts diagrams... it is sometimes a painful process.

I have replaced the pass side piece twice, once at the dealer and once from a mopar site. Honestly, it wasn't much cheaper getting it online after paying shipping. If it breaks again i probably won't replace a third time.

ive had the small front one pop off several times but it just pops back on. but had problems with my 2011 with the side plastic one break off as it is held on by plastic clip built into the side its self. i tried glueing it but ended up drilling a small hole thur the middle of it while holding it in place then ran a small black screw with a large head thur it. and i never had any more problems with the plastic side coming off and since i used a black screw it didnt look bad and took care of the problem...

• 8 years later...
4 minutes ago, Corinna said:

I have a 2014 Dodge Journey that I bought December 2017 and both front seat Outboard Power Seat Shields have broken. There should be a Recall for this problem. We should make a petition to Mopar.

LOL sure,,,meanwhile i have been waiting 2 months or an ABS  Brake module that is backordered that isn't supposed to be in till jan 2023 but i'll worry about a plastic seat shield  that will just break again 

On 12/9/2022 at 7:02 PM, Corinna said:

I have a 2014 Dodge Journey that I bought December 2017 and both front seat Outboard Power Seat Shields have broken. There should be a Recall for this problem. We should make a petition to Mopar.

Recalls are for safety related issues. This is not one.