Cleaning Engine Bay - TIPS? *pic*

Leenders

Hey everyone,

Last year around this time we purchased our then brand new 2013 DJ ... It was probably the last time I opened the hood myself. :doh: Well today after doing some exterior detailing on it, I popped the hood to swap in some hyper white headlights to find a disgusting engine bay. Ugh.

I want to clean it, but with all the electrical components I'm kind of nervous about spraying soap and water on it. It's really just dusty and has oil drips from the lazy mechanics that handled the oil changes, no heavy grime.

I've watched a few youtube videos but the procedures vary from power washing it down, to spraying degreaser all over it and misting it off ....

Any tips on which areas of the bay to avoid or even cover?

Any tricks I could use to get a fresh looking bay again?

20140510_110439.jpg

Thanks!

I would strongly suggest if you have never done an engine shampoo before go to a professional and save yourself the aggravation or potential to cause any damage to electrical components. If you still feel the need to do this yourself then this this youtube clip is a great tutorial as it does the rinsing with the engine running. With the engine running is a good method because if engine sounds like it is going to stall while using the water to rinse then you know to keep off that part of the engine avoiding any damage.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

The large engine cover just lifts straight up and off

so it can be cleaned out the engine bay.

The secret is to not let it get to this point by wiping it down

semi annually at least , I pop the cover off and use a damp

rag quarterly.

Looks as if you work in a quarry or went for a dip in Fanshawe Lake.

I would suggest you could paint the cover and if done properly

with lets say KRYLON plastic specific paint it would be easier

to maintain it with regards to dust/dirt removal.

I have seen many painted covers at car meets some of which

cost $500-$1000 for custom colour/graphics.

The factory finish is a dust magnet without a doubt.

Honestly, I would take off the cover and cover any electrical areas with tinfoil or plastic. The biggest areas of concern would be the TIPM and the alternator. After that rinse it with water (NOT HIGH PRESSURE) and then soak everything in your cleaner of choice. It sounds more like dirt than oil and engine grime, so you probably don't need a hard core degreaser, but there are plenty of products to choose from. Scrub everything with a soft bristle brush, rinse again and blow off the engine with compressed air (if you don't have compressed air, lightly drying everything with a towel would be just fine). Clean and re install the cover and you're done.

Thanks for the tips guys.

I was kind of exaggerating when I said I hadn't opened it in a year ... but it's dealer maintained and I barely ever drove it until now. No need really to open the hood I guess.

I'll snap an after pic when all done.

Thanks again.

I wash my engine every time I wash the Journey , just soap and water from garden hose . Never had any problems and have done this with all my vehicles .

Same here. Never had a problem. Only time I ever did have a problem with washing engines was my camaro when I soaked the optispark (distributor) and ruined it. The thing costs $250 to replace and mounted behind the water pump (stupid design), you can imagine what it takes to replace it, especially on the 3rd gen Camaros with the LT1. Everything had to be done from underneath.

Your engine will thank you for it. Runs cooler without all that junk built up on it, increases resale value, plus you dont get all greasy and dirty if you have to work on it.

Edited by jkeaton