Try replacing the battery in the Key Fob. It might be dead and that will cause your Journey to not start. If that still doesn't work then yes you will need to tow your Journey to the dealership or you might find someone in your local area that knows how to reprogram Key Fobs and is mobile that can come to you. Good Luck. Please let us know how it goes.

• Official Dodge Support

Tried to start my 2010 dodge journey, as soon as I put the key fob in the ignition it reads "badkey"

So does this mean I'll have to have my car towed to the dealership in order to get a new key made?!

Brooke Robinson Baum,

Welcome to the forum!

You'll find this site is a great resource for everything DJ and not to mention the great members who are always here to help.

As jkeaton mentioned, it's best to eliminate the easy things first before you start getting into towing etc.

Did you buy your DJ new or used? If used, you never how often the lock or unlock button may have been pushed.

Keep us posted if you can.

• 10 months later...

My 2010 Dodge journey started saying "badkey" then I used second remote and it worked find, put first key in and said "badkey" again, then I knew that the key was bad. I opened it up and I went under a scope and inspected it and I found one of a chip leg was unsoldered, I soldered it, tried it, then the key starting working, no more saying "badkey". problem solved. :hyper::yahoo::rockon:

Take a look at the picture so you'll see what the chip looks like

post-10622-0-96602000-1423840571_thumb.j

My 2010 Dodge journey started saying "badkey" then I used second remote and it worked find, put first key in and said "badkey" again, then I knew that the key was bad. I opened it up and I went under a scope and inspected it and I found one of a chip leg was unsoldered, I soldered it, tried it, then the key starting working, no more saying "badkey". problem solved. :hyper::yahoo::rockon:

Take a look at the picture so you'll see what the chip looks like

same thing happened to my tv worked fine for almost 5 yrs then started messing up just by luck they gave me a 5yr warranty so they came got the tv and couldn't find any thing wrong except they said they found a I C leg not soldered and 8yrs later tv still going strong.... thats the problem with surface mount parts as sometimes the solder doesn't melt and adhere the part to the circuit board properly......