Do 'eco max' tires improve gas mileage?

DM-15

My 2011 Mainstreet was ready for tires. Decided to go with Goodyear Assurance Eco Max. I got a good deal on them and installed them at my shop. They claim 2-3 MPG improvement over standard non-LRR tires. I just installed them Wednesday so I haven't really had time to see if they really work. They feel way better than the Kumhos, but they were well worn. Being as it's my wife's car I very rarely drive it (I've got an 03 Civic Si as my toy). However, on the weekends we take her car if we decide to go anywhere. Over the last 3 weeks, she's averaged (according to the on board computer) 19.9 miles per gallon. Not great, but she only works about 5 miles from home. So no Highway driving, just mostly stop and go traffic. Anyways, I'll try and update this thread with her gas mileage and also the performance of the tires. Being as it's our weekend cruiser I'm just trying to get the most mileage I can out of every tank.

hmmmm...Unless they are like 3" wide and inflated to 1000 PSI, I call BS on their claim. Tires, but themselves, generally do not contribute to higher or lower mileage, all things being equal. (size, weight, pressure, compound, etc). Just IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmmm...Unless they are like 3" wide and inflated to 1000 PSI, I call BS on their claim. Tires, but themselves, generally do not contribute to higher or lower mileage, all things being equal. (size, weight, pressure, compound, etc). Just IMO.

You are correct in your assumptions, but the eco tires are not the same makeup. The different composition of the rubber is what provides the increase in mileage... That being said, I wouldn't personally make the upgrade as the ride will suffer and the increase will be minimal. If I lived in a winter free climate I may give them a try, but not in the great white north...

I am seeing a small improvement in mileage on my wife's Forester since putting Bridgestone Ecopia tires on. She really likes the feeling of how the car keeps coasting longer and faster. It's noticable.

I bought a set of the Bridgestone Ecopia tires last Friday. I can't comment on the fuel savings yet, or if there are any. But I can attest as to the coasting capabilities (quite noticeable) and the ride seemed to improve. They are definitely quiet as well. I read a lot of reviews, which for the most part were favourable. I live in Southwestern Ontario, so I don't know if that qualifies as the great white north. So far the "upgrade" is fine. I'll keep you updated as the kilometres add up. Nothing like sharing personal experiences.

Edited by rolly

that's cool Rolly. Here's how I know it's not hype, about Bridgestone's saying that they coast better than other tires: I did not tell my wife that the tire shop said they would do so. I didn't really believe the hype, I just bought them because it seemed like the best choice they offered me for the car, and I didn't think she'd care.

Next day wife comes home, and says; "when I let off the gas, the car seems like it wants to keep going". If that doesn't prove it, I don't know what does.

I bought all four tires at Costco in Windsor for $644.00 out the door. I live across from Detroit and the tires were only $2.00 more than Belle Tire and when you factor in the $10.00 return toll to cross the Ambassador Bridge, the exchange on the money (10 cents on the dollar) and the gas, I actually saved money. The Kumhos were not that bad, but I was going to replace them in September anyway and I saw the price and had to pull the trigger.

• 1 month later...

This is an update for the Bridgestone Ecopia tires that I purchased in March. I have noticed slight increase in mileage and a very noticeable improvement in the ride quality. It's also definitely quieter. While driving in pouring rain the other day the Journey really handled exceptionally well. It's only been five weeks, but so far I'm impressed. I'll continue to keep you updated.

Edited by rolly

• 3 weeks later...

I filled up this morning (497.8 km - 53.017 L)and averaged 10.7 L/100 km for 100% city driving. I'm not sure that it's because of the tires but it's definitely an improvement. The terrain is very flat here in Essex County, where speed bumps are the only variation in the topography. So far, I'm very happy with these tires.

Edited by rolly