This morning im about to send kiddos to school. I remote start my journey like i always did to warm up! I live 3rd floor on our apartment building and it used to start no promlem. When we got to car i the engine is dead so i thought its just out of range which is not common! But when going to get inside to passive entry didnt work. What i did is i took out key from fob and open the car to my surprise it alarm like crazy and said key not detected! I knew from this forum that fob has an RKE?? That you still can start even on dead fob battery so i tried to press ignition with fob almost touching the start button but to no avail. It didnt start. I got my spare fob and it works well.

My question is, is there something wrong with my fob? The idea of not starting my car with fob having dead battery freaks me out! What if i am away from home and my other fob is not availabe! Then i have to go back home to grab it and leave my car alarming like crazy???

Another question is.. Is the fob cover by warranty in case its not funcioning the way it should be?

Please share your thought. Thank you!

Has anyone actually confirmed or tried starting thier journey with dead fob? Thats my main worry. Replacing battery is a quick fix i know. But as what ive said in my original post. What if my fob died while im away from home. If somebody seals what is said in manual that fob with dead battery can start thier journey then i think its worth bringing up to the dealership. Can anyone chime in about fob if its cover under warranty?

have not tried with a dead battery, and yes i would think it would be covered if your within your 3yr-36 k time limit, but let me ask why are you busting our chops. call the dealership if you dont like our answers or our help. sorry if i am taking your post wrong but as far as i am concerned try to find out yourself with your good key fob take out the battery and then try to start your car then YOU can then report back to us if it is poss. to do ,as i am not worried about it.....

Firstly the battery in the fob is not warranted and it's a 2 buck item

at the dollar store.

My fob battery lasted 2-1/2 yrs then the DJ evic told me it was getting low.

If I remember there is a post stating that a forum took his battery out to

try it and it did work , it's done with RFID chip technology.

Thank for inputs! I might be trying to take off battery on my other fob and try! Hope i wont break it.. lol kinda scared if i screw up the other one then theres nothing left for me. Im not trying chop your responses it helps me and other forum member. My post may be interpreted like that and it not true but i respect your opinion.

Anyway, im asking for those forum member that already tried thier dead fob. This way i can back up my claim if i go to my dealership!

You are in somewhat of a conundrum, if you replace the battery and it still doesn't fix your issue then the dealership will most likely blame you for damaging the fob when you tried replacing the battery and if you go to the dealer and have them check it out and it comes down to just a simple battery replacement then you get stuck with a $50.00 bill of something you could of did yourself for the price of the battery. I'd gamble on replacing the battery first (DIY) but it seems funny that you never got the warning of the battery low message first. Keep us posted of anything that gets resolved.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

• Official Dodge Support

Has anyone actually confirmed or tried starting thier journey with dead fob? Thats my main worry. Replacing battery is a quick fix i know. But as what ive said in my original post. What if my fob died while im away from home. If somebody seals what is said in manual that fob with dead battery can start thier journey then i think its worth bringing up to the dealership. Can anyone chime in about fob if its cover under warranty?

Chris1276,

If you're having issues with the fob, please visit your dealer. It's not worth taking it apart and risking damaging it, that's why you paid for warranty.

The warranty parameters for the key fob are 3 years or 60,000 kms. A dead battery wouldn't be covered but as a couple members mentioned, they cost roughly $2.

Keep us posted if you can with the results.

The fob batteries usually don't just die. They get low first, which will trigger your vehicle information screen to show a picture of a key fob with a low battery warning. A dead fob battery should not prevent the starting of the vehicle. Take your car to the dealer and get the fob checked out.

Edited by FROGBOX

Hi all, update for my fob battery. I ran to store and grab fob battery and changes it my self. Non of the function work aside from remote srart that when you pressed alarm goes off. I brought to my dealerand showed! He took my key brought inside for 15 minutes and when he got back we tried and everything works well. I ask whats was the issue and he said he just clean circuit board. He said it could be moist build up due to very cold temp here in our place!! Thank you very much for help and suggestion! :-)