Terrible handling in snow

ctc

We otherwise love our Dodge journey 2012 (original dealer tires), but it has absolutely terrible handling in snow at all speeds from starting at a green light through highway driving. I just brought it to the dealer for an oil change and told them about this problem. After checking it out they found nothing wrong with the car and offered me the solace that winter is almost over. I've owned a Volkswagen rabbit, Ford Taurus, Chevrolet station wagon, two Dodge caravans, and the Dodge journey is hands down the worst handling in snow of them all. I used to be the hotshot in the left lane without a care in the world, and now I'm the granny in the right lane barely keeping up. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum.

I don't doubt the validity of you impression/complaint with regards to handling in snow.

There have been numerous posts here regarding individual results about these

concern.

I personally have driven some of the same cars you noted in winter conditions and

some are better than others , this winter has seen our area with 24" of snow and extreme

cold being the norm.

Having said that I personally experienced little problem driving my 2-1/2 yr old DJ SXT FWD

with original OEM tires which will replaced this fall.

I did not even attempt to drive on the stock tires in the snow when we got our first '09 Journey. I looked at the tires and they looked more like a summer tires to me. Did not look like an all season tire at all. Replaced the 19" Kumos with 17" rims and Hangkook winter tires and have had very good results with them. Only once in about 3 years did I have a problem and that was with deep drifting snow. Was heavy going but did manage to get through. Even my wife likes the winter handling as she has made several trips over the winters to Calgary 2 hours north of here.

It's really very interesting how the gamut runs from horrible to wonderful with respect to the Journey's winter handling prowess on this forum. My own experience has been favorable overall. Ours is a 2013 Crew with 225/55/19 stock Kumho's and Front Wheel Drive. Mileage is now 14,000. Accelerating from a stop in snow often produces lots of wheelspin which is mitigated nicely by the TCS and lessened considerably if I use Autostick and start in 2nd or 3rd gear. Tracking on snow covered roads has been fine, My 2000 300M is more sure-footed in snow overall. I would attribute that to the Michelin Pilot HX tires and a 64% weight bias on the front wheels. I had another 300M on the road before the Journey which at one time wore Falken Ziex tires, and they were absolutely horrible in snow. That was a true apples-to-apples comparison since the '99 and '00 were mechanically identical vehicles. Tires make all the difference in the world. But I have no complaints about the Journey. Our terrain is flat overall, but even on the mild hills around here, it always digs in and gets moving.

I have to agree with Journeyman, jkeaton and bigtsr. This is the second winter driving on my stock Kumhos and I haven't had a problem. This winter in particular has been a challenge with all the snow we've had but the Journey was equal to the task. Having said that our terrain is very flat, so that could make a difference.

My 2010 Se handles like a dream in the snow, I put on snow tires long before the sons hit do I don't know about the stock tires. I live in southwest ontario and this winter has been brutal and I have yet to have a single issue, in fact I am always the fastest car on the roads in the snow. Think it comes down to driver ability and common sense, if your going to drive it like it's an AWD sedan your going to have problems, drive it like it's a 4000 lb front wheel drive and you can't be anything but thoroughly impressed.

Thank you all for sharing.

So two of you changed the stock tires and mention "very good" and "like a dream" performance afterwards. I too thought this might be the reason for my experience, but wanted to eliminate other possibilities before spending the money.

Some mention driver ability, common sense, adapting to the vehicle, and environment. I rate my driving abilities as second only to hard core driving enthusiasts. This is my 36th winter driving in snow. Over the years I've adapted to eight different cars (most FWD, some RWD, none AWD). Throughout all of this I continue to earn accident-free auto insurance discounts.

Four of you rate your experiences with snow driving using the stock tires as "little problem", "favorable overall", "great", and "no problem": This would seem to indicate that the Journey in proper mechanical condition, and it's stock tires, aren't the problem.

It is possible that there is something wrong with mine that the dealer did not see. Does anyone know what type of mechanical change and/or malfunction could cause this poor handling in the snow?

my '11 AWD Journey was very good in snow with stock 19" Kumhos, and now with Blizzaks it's amazing. I'll go out in anything, and have. Yesterday there were so many people ice fishing, there was no plowed parking at the trailhead, so I buried the car in 1-1/2' of snow and drove out no problem.

I have driven 4+ hours in raging Nor'Easters twice on way back from mountain climbing in northern New England. Makes me wonder how someone else's Journey could be bad.

• 3 weeks later...