Portable Hard drive in USB?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I had a few problems with music playing on any USB on the Journey until I figured out the way to get it working. Formatted as fat32 first.

Changed all album titles and song titles removing any symbol other that letters or numbers. I removed all hyphens as well.

Works like a charm on my Music now. Haven't tried a large drive yet but I can store quite a lot of Music on a 16 Gig USB.

• Official Dodge Support

I had a few problems with music playing on any USB on the Journey until I figured out the way to get it working. Formatted as fat32 first.

Changed all album titles and song titles removing any symbol other that letters or numbers. I removed all hyphens as well.

Works like a charm on my Music now. Haven't tried a large drive yet but I can store quite a lot of Music on a 16 Gig USB.

linuxguru,

Great information!

Format is certainly something to be aware of when trying to play music through the system.

There are so many different formats out now which can cause some compatibility issues.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

FAT32 is a VERY old standard - it works across multiple platforms because software developers recognize that their operating systems are not the only systems that exist. Mac, Linux, Windows, Unix, etc. can all read FAT32. NTFS is basically Windows XP and up only. HFS/HFS+ is Mac OS X (all flavors).

You have one limitation with FAT32 - file size. No files can exceed 4 GB. So if you have ridiculously large audio files, say a book in audio format that hasn't been broken down by chapter for some reason, you might have a problem.

FAT32 is a VERY old standard - it works across multiple platforms because software developers recognize that their operating systems are not the only systems that exist. Mac, Linux, Windows, Unix, etc. can all read FAT32. NTFS is basically Windows XP and up only. HFS/HFS+ is Mac OS X (all flavors).

You have one limitation with FAT32 - file size. No files can exceed 4 GB. So if you have ridiculously large audio files, say a book in audio format that hasn't been broken down by chapter for some reason, you might have a problem.

Good to know this.

Hello, i have a question for you guys that have a HD over 32gb, you say your 500gb HD works, ok i tried a 160gb and worked too, but if i store more than certain amount of mp3's i can not read them all, so i was thinking there is a limit as how many files or GB can be read, i took out my HD and bought a couple of 32GB USB sticks and it works fine, but ripping at 320kbps 32GB really isnt much of a storage.

The radio has to store some amount of data ( manual indicates sync speed of 1,000 songs in 5 minutes). Given this, there must be some long term storage, just enough to remember where files are from a synchronized device. Since this thing is supposed to work well with iPods (which the old iPod classics would be 250g hard drives), it's got to be a high limit. But 500 GB and 1 TB drives are going to have problems with getting enough power to operate through a USB cable (unless they've been built to run off of that low power).

Edited by bfurth