No oil added after oil change

Meg09

should have not drained the oil i would of had it towed to the dodge dealer and explained what happened and had him drain the oil and then he would have been your expert witness when you sued the oil change place. as of now its your word against theirs if you have any damage and want to sue them for damages in small clains court. but thats how i would have handled it , hope their is no damage good luck

This is exactly why I always do my own oil changes. 10 years ago I took my honda to a shop...they didn't put an o-ring on with the oil filter. Needless to say, all the oil drained out after I drove it a couple miles. I drove it very gently dry (no oil) for about 5 miles to the store to get a new filter/oil. It never had a problem many years after that.

How far did you drive it? Did you drive it very gently? If it's a very small amount, IMO you should be fine. I would still save all paperwork, take pictures with a date stamp, save the oil you drained, confront the shop manager. See what they say. They should put you on some official record so that if anything happens in the future, the shop would be liable to pay. If they refuse to do anything, then you'll have to file a lawsuit.

Please never use these cheap oil change shops again!!!

i was in walmart few yrs ago getting tires and the manager came in the room and told the lady her oil was changed in her car and ready to go, she said i wanted the burnt out tail light fixed not an oil change he said oh well no charge on the oil change and then she said my husbeen had just changed their oil and used syn oil what did they put in. he checked and said reg oil but didnt want to redo it with syn for her. she wasnt sure what to say untill i steped up and told her i would be willing to go to small claims court to witness what i had just heard. man that manger couldnt back track fast enough and re did her oil change with syn fixed her tail light with no charge i also stood outside in the garage while they finnished her up and my car. i have never been back to that store. i always watch my car while it is being worked on ,ihad one manager say i couldnt do that so i told him to take it off the rack, of course he let me watch.

Well in that it's still empty I guess it's a matter of having towed back to the

shop that made the mistake or just fill it and take a chance.

Alternatively you could call them and state the facts to see what action/choice

you are left with to follow.

Reminds me of a story a fellow college student relayed to me. He was a technician for a dept store (long since out of business) that had a auto service dept. This was about 25 years ago. Seems a lady had brought her vehicle in for a simple oil change. Another technician performed the service. He drained the old oil, installed a new filter, but got sidetracked and forgot to put in the fresh oil. Pulled car out of the stall and parked it. Customer paid for the service, but was back a short time later complaining her car was making strange noises.

Long story short, the dept had to pay for new engine to be installed. About $5,000 at the time. Technician was fired.

I generally do my own oil changes, but I do on occasion have it done at the dealer or the few shops I trust.

I didn't see the original post, but I think I would have had it towed back to the shop/dealer that did the service. An engine with little or no oil is going to make some strange noises - usually a knocking type sound.

This is exactly why I always do my own oil changes. 10 years ago I took my honda to a shop...they didn't put an o-ring on with the oil filter. Needless to say, all the oil drained out after I drove it a couple miles. I drove it very gently dry (no oil) for about 5 miles to the store to get a new filter/oil. It never had a problem many years after that.

How far did you drive it? Did you drive it very gently? If it's a very small amount, IMO you should be fine. I would still save all paperwork, take pictures with a date stamp, save the oil you drained, confront the shop manager. See what they say. They should put you on some official record so that if anything happens in the future, the shop would be liable to pay. If they refuse to do anything, then you'll have to file a lawsuit.

Please never use these cheap oil change shops again!!!

Similar happened with me and my 2008 VW Rabbit - I took it to an Oil Change Chain. I usually changed the oil in the VW myself - but one time I was particularly busy and took it to this place. I got home, and oil was pouring all over the driveway, and smoke coming out from under the hood. Apparently, the same cartridge filter that fit my VW also fit some Volvo.... and there were two different gaskets that came with it - mechanic used the WRONG gasket - which never made contact with anything, and oil seeped out around the plastic cartridge housing. Luckily, I'd only lost a quart or so. I took it to a local, close-by repair shop so the problem would be properly documented, took some photos, had them change the oil and filter, and called the oil change place's 800 number. They ended up paying for the 2nd oil change, and gave me 4 or 5 free oil changes as a gratuity.

I would trust my dealer though.