engine air filter supply and cost

Canadian Paul

Hello all,

Just a brief rant here. So I go to get a replacement air filter for my 2011 Journey R/T after my indy mechanic suggests it after an oil change. Now I live about an hour north of Toronto and I figured that since I see so many new Chrysler products on the road, finding an aftermarket air filter should be easy, right?? Well, guess what, it's not!! I went to two Walmarts and none of them stock the air filters even though the numbers are listed in the books on the shelves. I then go to Canadian Tire and I find out that they only stock it behind the counter and the bloody thing is $45.00 with tax!!! My other vehicle is a Saab convertible and I have had no problem finding parts like filters at big box stores and the prices are cheaper than the filter for this car. What is going on here?? Has anybody else encountered this situation? The parts person at CT said basically that the Journey has so many unique things that that's why I may be having difficulty finding aftermarket parts.

I am seriously considering putting a K&N cleanable air filter next time I need one. Good for life, just need to wash and re-oil it when dirty. I use K&N in both of my motorcycles for decades with no problems. Cost is not that much more than one paper element disposable filter. Wait till you have to replace the cabin air filter! :surrender:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-33-2470/overview/year/2011/make/dodge/model/journey

Here is a link of where I order lots of different parts at a reasonable price. As wingit11 stated, the K&N is a lifetime filter so if you choose to order one then go ahead and order the filter recharge kit and you will never have to worry with it again. I also have a K&N on my Journey because the paper ones at the local parts store were more expensive than ordering a K&N through Summit Racing.

Hope this helps!!

I then go to Canadian Tire and I find out that they only stock it behind the counter and the bloody thing is $45.00 with tax!!!

If you have a Napa store close by you could also try them and see what the Napa gold air filters are going for but other than that your best bet is to shop online for aftermarket parts. At the dealers parts dept. they go for about $45.00 plus tax and of very good quality! It needs to be replaced every 25,000 km (once a year) and with that little price difference with aftermarkets I would definitely stick with the Mopar quality, and I do. Same goes with the oil filters also.....the only aftermarket filter I get for my Journey is the Fram fresh breeze cabin air filter and that's it.

Only place around me that stocked the air filters for our 09 was O'Reillys. I think it was like $25. I guess I'm in store for the same thing with the 2013. That as well as oil filters.

Oreilly's is great and Autozone is also great. Never have had a problem finding anything through either place. I prefer Summit because they have everything and usually get it to me within a day or 2.

If you have a Napa store close by you could also try them and see what the Napa gold air filters are going for but other than that your best bet is to shop online for aftermarket parts. At the dealers parts dept. they go for about $45.00 plus tax and of very good quality! It needs to be replaced every 25,000 km (once a year) and with that little price difference with aftermarkets I would definitely stick with the Mopar quality, and I do. Same goes with the oil filters also.....the only aftermarket filter I get for my Journey is the Fram fresh breeze cabin air filter and that's it.

I can see where an aftermarket oil filter would be a concern, but K&N air filters have been proven to outlast and outperform any paper filters out there.

I can see where an aftermarket oil filter would be a concern, but K&N air filters have been proven to outlast and outperform any paper filters out there.

I think that this was discussed in another thread about the K&N filters.....I prefer during warranty period to use all factory Mopar filters for the engine and not give an excuse to the dealer saying that any problems were due to an aftermarket product. After the warranty in my DJ is expired I will explore aftermarket filters if they are as efficient in filtration as the originals for a lot less money....if it is only a few dollars difference i'll stick with the Mopars as the installation is done myself and I'm already saving money.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

You guys really need to be shopping online. You can get aftermarket paper filters for the DJ for about $10-12 shipped on amazon or rockauto.com. Same price for the interior A/C filters too. I've been shopping this way for over a decade. I VERY rarely buy parts at autozone or any other local store...online is the way to go to save big bucks. Just look for free shipping deals, coupons, etc. Even if you have to pay a few bucks for shipping, you're still not getting ripped a new Ahole at the counter parts store or dealer.

I just recently got a K&N to save money on paper filters...loving it so far.

You guys really need to be shopping online. You can get aftermarket paper filters for the DJ for about $10-12 shipped on amazon or rockauto.com. Same price for the interior A/C filters too. I've been shopping this way for over a decade. I VERY rarely buy parts at autozone or any other local store...online is the way to go to save big bucks. Just look for free shipping deals, coupons, etc. Even if you have to pay a few bucks for shipping, you're still not getting ripped a new Ahole at the counter parts store or dealer.

I just recently got a K&N to save money on paper filters...loving it so far.

If you are refering to the Pentius PAB10516 UltraFLOW air filter at Rockauto the Amazon reviews (2 in total) shows that it is not the right size and leaves a gap....you get what you pay for.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentius-PAB10516-UltraFLOW-Air-Filter/dp/B008EG65HY/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Dodge%7C40&Model=Journey%7C6800&Year=2011%7C2011&carId=002&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

Edited by Journey_SeXT

If you are refering to the Pentius PAB10516 UltraFLOW air filter at Rockauto the Amazon reviews (2 in total) shows that it is not the right size and leaves a gap....you get what you pay for.

http://www.amazon.com/Pentius-PAB10516-UltraFLOW-Air-Filter/dp/B008EG65HY/ref=au_as_r?ie=UTF8&Make=Dodge%7C40&Model=Journey%7C6800&Year=2011%7C2011&carId=002&n=15684181&newCar=1&s=automotive&vehicleType=automotive

There's about a dozen choices on amazon and rockauto. Obviously, use you're own judgement. I've never had fitment issues in the past. There's about a half dozen options. http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/slide-show/2012/Dodge/Journey/ref=au_pf_cr_1?ie=UTF8&carId=003&partsNode=15727071

Rockauto has more choices and is cheaper. http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,3015568,parttype,6192