rear brake pad replacement,,

Tito Mon

I have not had good experience with Canadian Tire. Seems that they do not have very experienced mechanics and always want to up sell me for work that is not needed. Fortunately I can do most of the routine stuff myself, but when I do need work done that I cannot (or don't want to) do I use a independent shop that was highly recommended to me. Working out good so far. Of course the DJ is still under warranty so it goes to the dealer.

Do you have anyone else besides Canadian Tire up there? Seems like every forum I'm on, the Canadians are talking about Canadian Tire.....are they like a Firestone or something? What are other options for vehicle repair?

Yes we have other chains like Midas, Speedy, Master Mechanic etc...... Canadian Tire has been around forever so people like the convenience of their garage. Here is their website if you would like to see what they offer: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en.html They also have their auto garage attached to the store. They own Part Source which is the equivalent to Autozone & Advance Auto in the U.S. Advance Auto if I am not mistaken is also owned by Canadian Tire/Parts Source.

Edited by Journey_SeXT

You can rent tools.

Inquire at Cantire,PartSource or Napa stores.

Very true. Most stores will rent you the tools. They normally charge what the tool set would cost new, but then refund it when you bring them back. Or, if your like me, I just decide I could use the tools and end up keeping them. You can also get brake tool kits off ebay for cheap. I got a kit for calipers that includes all the adapters for all makes of vehicles for under $30. Most of the newer rear brakes can't use a plain old c-clamp to seat the piston, you have to turn the piston while pressing it in, those kits are a life saver to be. I used to do it with a pair of needle nose pliers. Took forever!

Edited by jkeaton

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking also to do it by myself about the rear brake pads,, is that easy to do it? any suggestion pls?

Easy enough. Unbolt the calipers, remove the pads, seat the piston (remove the brake fluid reservoir and remove some brake fluid so it does not overflow when the fluid gets pushed back into it), as stated above, you need a special tool to turn the brake piston in while puching it. Install the new pads, reinstall the caliper. Message me if you need assistance.

Edited by jkeaton

do what the pad manufacture says to do . i know wagner thermo-quite pads say if you use anything it will void the warrenty dont know why. but i use them all the time and will use them for my journey this spring when i do both the front and back i am at 60k miles right now.

Edited by 2late4u

As stated above, if the pad manufacturer states to use anti squeal then use it. Some higher end pads come with it included. Some don't require it. The only thing I use when putting it all back together is spread anti-seize compound on any metal to metal contact areas. Never had an issue or squeals.

i like this forum guys, i learned,, thanks for suggestion,, i want to do it by my self but i don't have tools like c clamp or the special tools,,

If you don't mind a drive to Whitby, I can help you. Buy the parts and I can help you install them. I have the brake piston rewind tool. There is more to replacing rear pads than just changing parts. You also need to lube the sliders and clean & lube the guides that the pads sit in. Otherwise, they will stick and drag on the rotors, causing premature wear.

If you don't mind a drive to Whitby, I can help you. Buy the parts and I can help you install them. I have the brake piston rewind tool. There is more to replacing rear pads than just changing parts. You also need to lube the sliders and clean & lube the guides that the pads sit in. Otherwise, they will stick and drag on the rotors, causing premature wear.

Man talk about Christmas spirit. Great offer!!!! This is a great forum.

True, true. Details I left out that are like second nature to me, I guess. My bad, thanks for adding. When I have to replace mine (or if someone else does theirs first) we will do a write up with pictures. Maybe start a FAQ/DIY section for how-to's for things like this.

Whitby? My company has a manufacturing site in Whitby. May be up there sometime next year.

Edited by jkeaton

True, true. Details I left out that are like second nature to me, I guess. My bad, thanks for adding. When I have to replace mine (or if someone else does theirs first) we will do a write up with pictures. Maybe start a FAQ/DIY section for how-to's for things like this.

Whitby? My company has a manufacturing site in Whitby. May be up there sometime next year.

I am a member on another forum for my daily driver (the Journey is the wife's). My car is a VW Jetta TDI. The site is www.tdiclub.com and I have been a member there for over 10 years. In that time, I have posted dozens of 'How to' tutorials on things like brake replacements, axle swaps, wiper transmission repairs, etc. We have a very large database of procedures for many generations of cars. I think it would be a good idea to have one here too. Like you suggested....a DIY section.

Here is the thread I started on TDIClub:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=60705

I haven't updated the thread in a few years, but there is a lot of great info with contributions from hundreds of members.

• 3 months later...

well yesterday i changed out my rear pads,first time ever doing rear pads and it was a little harder than doing the fronts but after doing the one side the other side was a little easier.I used one of thoes $4.99 dice cubes to turn back the piston and as i read for it to fit a journey you have to grind off 2 of the 4. of the pegs to make it fit the face of the piston it wasnt as hard to turn it back as i thought it would be but it was a little difffcute. As i dont expect to have to do to many more brake changes it worked out ok.But if i was alot younger i would have spent the $39. plus tax for a big kit for rewinding the pistons one thiught was the kit from harbor freight didnt say it fit dodge vech. seems like it fit every vech. except them.oh my mainstreet has 65k miles on it and the inside pad was wore down pretty good probaly had about another 5k on them but wanted to put some on so we wouldnt have any brake problems while on a trip somewhere.If you watch that u tube vidieo on the 2009 brake change i couldnt get the caliper to come off withe the bracket like he showed i had to remove the 2 little caliper bolts from the carrier before getting them to come loose and you do need to wrenches to remove them as think frogbox was telling us, no big problem,also wagner thermoquite brake pads inst.said if the pads come with the shims come attached as they did not to use any stickey adhesive but to use a certain type of grease, but after removing the factory pads it looked like they used a dad of glue to the back of the pads, so ill find out in time if i should have used it also or done it like the instructions says ill report back later what i find out.....