Transmission "clunk"

larryl

My 13 Crew with 11900 miles on it has been making a metal on metal clunk when shifting from Park to reverse or to drive or from reverse to drive and it has been getting worse.

It didn't do it when it was new so I knew there had to be something going wrong

Today it was quite bad so I took it to a dealer and when the service person came out to listen it did it for him also!!!

So they put it up on the hoist and the problem from the factory was the "bolts" on the transmission hub were not properly torqued and had worked loose to the point where the hub was moving and causing the clunk.

They torqued the bolts to spec and the noise and problem have been corrected

So this might be something to look at if you are getting that kind noise

My 13 Crew with 11900 miles on it has been making a metal on metal clunk when shifting from Park to reverse or to drive or from reverse to drive and it has been getting worse.

It didn't do it when it was new so I knew there had to be something going wrong

Today it was quite bad so I took it to a dealer and when the service person came out to listen it did it for him also!!!

So they put it up on the hoist and the problem from the factory was the "bolts" on the transmission hub were not properly torqued and had worked loose to the point where the hub was moving and causing the clunk.

They torqued the bolts to spec and the noise and problem have been corrected

So this might be something to look at if you are getting that kind noise

Interesting..... I have a 2013 with the 4 speed tranny with same symptoms. They said it was the mounts that were loose... Anyway, noise is gone.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
1 hour ago, Kendra said:

My 2013 Has been doing a loud clunk as well, have taken it to many shops and just keep getting told the same thing, we cant find anything. So here I sit with over $4,000 stuck in this stupid thing and it still does it.

They all do it. Mine did it for 4 years and 80,000 miles. Never had a problem though. I just learned to live with it.

1 hour ago, jkeaton said:

They all do it. Mine did it for 4 years and 80,000 miles. Never had a problem though. I just learned to live with it.

my 2014 did as well , actually i havent had it clunk in so long cant remember the last time it did.  I did have the transmission fluid and filter done at 70 k early i know but just to be safe had it done anyways