Where is HFM (Hands Free module) located on Journey/Freemont?

Hello. I got a problem, with my Freemont 2012, bluetooth and voice command. I press the "buttons" on the uconnect, and they just grey out, but nothing happens. Can't access phone settings also.

I already let the negative cable of the battery unplugged for about 12 hours, without solving it.

Than I took it to a dealer, but they didn't solve, they actually did nothing. They just upgraded the software and reseted it. So I will need to take it to another dealer (300km away).

So, reading thru several forums, the problem is probably the HFM module. Maybe just a problem with the connections, and unplugging and plugging again may solve.

I already checked behind the glove compartment and it is not there. I also looked bellow the panel at drivers side, and coundn't see it.

Does anyone know where is it really located?

thanks.

Edited by Valter J Sabater

08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Hands Free/Description DESCRIPTION

GUID-081170508.jpg

The Hands Free Module (HFM) (3) (also known as the Bluetooth™ module) is found in vehicles equipped with the optional Uconnect® Hands-Free System. This module is located beneath the instrument panel and above the steering column. The HFM hardware and circuitry is contained and protected within a molded black plastic housing that has two integral mounts (2) and an integral locating pin (1). The HFM is positioned to a stamped metal steering column mounting bracket by the locating pin, then secured to the bracket by two screws.

The HFM has three integral connector receptacles that are oriented toward the dash panel when it is installed in the vehicle. The two largest receptacles (5 and 6) connect the HFM to the vehicle electrical system through dedicated take outs and connectors of the instrument panel wire harness. The smallest connector (4) accepts a Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable connector that connects the HFM to the Radio Receiver Module (RRM) (also known as the radio or the head unit).

The internal circuitry of the HFM includes a microcontroller, flash memory and a Bluetooth™ module. The module also includes sophisticated Voice Recognition (VR) software. The HFM software is flash programmable.

The HFM cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if damaged or ineffective, the entire HFM must be replaced.

08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Hands Free/Removal REMOVAL
collapse.gif Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

GUID-0811005295.jpg NOTE:

The Hands Free Module (HFM) (1) is mounted above the steering column (3) and against the dash panel (4) to the underside of the instrument panel column support bracket.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative cable from the battery.
  2. Remove the knee blocker from the instrument panel steering column opening. (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/KNEEBLOCKER - Removal) .
  3. Remove the brake pedal assembly from the dash panel (4). (Refer to 05 - Brakes/Hydraulic/Mechanical/PEDAL(S) , Brake and/or Accelerator - Removal).

NOTE:

One of the HFM mounting screws is concealed between the forward (connector) side of the module and the dash panel.

4. Remove the two screws (2) that secure the Hands Free Module (HFM) (1) to the underside of the instrument panel column support bracket.
  5. Lower the HFM far enough to access and disconnect the three wire harness connections (5) from the module connector receptacles.
  6. Remove the HFM from above the steering column (3) and under the instrument panel.

For an unrelated project, I need to remove the lower dash panel, the one covering the steering column, maybe that's the one mentioned in point 3 above?

Unfortunately I cannot follow the link (since it asks to login).

Removing the two nuts on the lower side is not enough to remove the panel, what seems to be a screw cover on the top left (a rectangle), actually isn't, so I don't know if there is some hidden screw or if it's just a matter of pulling hard enough (but I fear I'll break the panel that way).

• 2 years later...

08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Hands Free/Description DESCRIPTION

GUID-081170508.jpg

The Hands Free Module (HFM) (3) (also known as the Bluetooth™ module) is found in vehicles equipped with the optional Uconnect® Hands-Free System. This module is located beneath the instrument panel and above the steering column. The HFM hardware and circuitry is contained and protected within a molded black plastic housing that has two integral mounts (2) and an integral locating pin (1). The HFM is positioned to a stamped metal steering column mounting bracket by the locating pin, then secured to the bracket by two screws.

The HFM has three integral connector receptacles that are oriented toward the dash panel when it is installed in the vehicle. The two largest receptacles (5 and 6) connect the HFM to the vehicle electrical system through dedicated take outs and connectors of the instrument panel wire harness. The smallest connector (4) accepts a Universal Serial Bus (USB) cable connector that connects the HFM to the Radio Receiver Module (RRM) (also known as the radio or the head unit).

The internal circuitry of the HFM includes a microcontroller, flash memory and a Bluetooth™ module. The module also includes sophisticated Voice Recognition (VR) software. The HFM software is flash programmable.

The HFM cannot be adjusted or repaired and, if damaged or ineffective, the entire HFM must be replaced.

08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/MODULE, Hands Free/Removal REMOVAL
collapse.gif Labor Operations: Click to display a list of Labor Operations associated with this procedure

GUID-0811005295.jpgNOTE:

The Hands Free Module (HFM) (1) is mounted above the steering column (3) and against the dash panel (4) to the underside of the instrument panel column support bracket.

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative cable from the battery.
  2. Remove the knee blocker from the instrument panel steering column opening. (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/KNEEBLOCKER - Removal) .
  3. Remove the brake pedal assembly from the dash panel (4). (Refer to 05 - Brakes/Hydraulic/Mechanical/PEDAL(S) , Brake and/or Accelerator - Removal).

NOTE:

One of the HFM mounting screws is concealed between the forward (connector) side of the module and the dash panel.

4. Remove the two screws (2) that secure the Hands Free Module (HFM) (1) to the underside of the instrument panel column support bracket.
  5. Lower the HFM far enough to access and disconnect the three wire harness connections (5) from the module connector receptacles.
  6. Remove the HFM from above the steering column (3) and under the instrument panel.

Has your radio been serviced or has your dash been opened up for any reason?

Before you disassemble the entire vehicle you might want to pull out the radio module (behind the hard buttons below the display screen) to make certain that the 2 USB connectors (one for the BT and the other for the USB connection in the console) are properly seated in their respective sockets. It is a simple 10 minute operation.

• 7 months later...
On 2/20/2016 at 4:37 AM, bramfrank said:

Has your radio been serviced or has your dash been opened up for any reason?

Before you disassemble the entire vehicle you might want to pull out the radio module (behind the hard buttons below the display screen) to make certain that the 2 USB connectors (one for the BT and the other for the USB connection in the console) are properly seated in their respective sockets. It is a simple 10 minute operation.

For us non-technical, how do you accomplish the above (simple 10 minute operation)?

• 3 years later...
On 9/18/2020 at 9:44 PM, journeytofix said:

Bramfrank... from so long ago - could you tell me which of these plugs is the Bluetooth module plug? Diagnosing a parasitic battery drain issue. 

Untitled.png

It is one of the two connectors identified as #4 - and they are interchangeable, so AFAIK the only real way to tell which is which is to disconnect one of them and see if that takes out the Bluetooth - if it does, you have found the right one.

Note, for the sake of being careful it is a good idea to disconnect power before removing connections from the module.  It isn't likely to hurt anything if you don't, but one never knows and these things are expensive. 

• 5 months later...

I bought a used telematics module off eBay (supposedly for my 2012 Dodge Journey), installed it but it didn't rectify my no connection issue. I didn't mount it in place, could this be the reason it still doesn't connect? There is an integral locating pin on the mounting case, should I have mounted the module before testing it? I just left it hanging by the connectors while I tested if it connected or not. See item #1 in attached photo.

Screenshot_20210228-110225_Chrome.jpg

Is the case metal or plastic? If metal, might be used as a ground. Obviously if plastic it shouldn’t matter...maybe your eBay unit is DOA....

buying a used electrical device online is a crap shoot. I never would myself.  Hopefully it has a warranty.

Edited by OhareFred

1 hour ago, OhareFred said:

Is the case metal or plastic? If metal, might be used as a ground. Obviously if plastic it shouldn’t matter...maybe your eBay unit is DOA....

buying a used electrical device online is a crap shoot. I never would myself.  Hopefully it has a warranty.

The case is plastic, I'm just wondering if this "integral locating pin" inserts into some type of switch or if it exists just to align up the module in its location.  Anyone know the answer to this?

The eBay seller has said ship the alleged DOA module back to him and will supposedly refund my return shipping and original charges. 

Edited by Howitzer