I have an obsession with cleaning this car

Journeyman425

• 4 months later...

Finally - car has been covered with road salt and spray for weeks. Temp is 50 degrees and sunny now. Snow in tomorrow morning's forecast, and again on Wednesday with temps in the teens and 20's. I don't care if it is only going to look good for a few hours - I just HAD to clean it!

photo1_zpsb1aef933.jpg

Windancer, I always loved that picture. You have such a unique looking Journey. Did you know that there is a song by The Guess Who called "Running Back To Saskatoon"?

Thanks for the comment on my Journey, The chrome side rails, the chrome R/T emblems on the fenders, the "Buick" Port holes and the "chrome" edging on the valance, hood and roof air deflectors all seem to contribute to a very unique look.

Yes I am very familar with the Guess Who and their song. I live in Regina and the group is from Winnipeg, but they spent a lot of their early years in my city. In fact Burton Cummings originally married a girl from Regina, their song "These Eyes" was written in Regina.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 2 weeks later...

If you've never used clay on a car before. Oh man is clay the work of the Gods because it makes a cars finish so great before polishing even.

I agree I do all my vehicles once a year, it helps get off all the road grime etc. you will be pleased. Don't do it too often though.

Terry

Washed our Journey today ahead of the 15-20 centimetres of snow predicted overnight. Couldn't stand to look at the salt build up!

Finally warm here, so washing the car with the many puddles around here is futile, we don't use a lot of salt here so that isn't as big a problem as it is further east. I am really itching to get my "toy" out and drive it.

Terry

152300933.jpg

Edited by Windancer

Finally warm here, so washing the car with the many puddles around here is futile, we don't use a lot of salt here so that isn't as big a problem as it is further east. I am really itching to get my "toy" out and drive it.

Terry

152300933.jpg

Bloody hell...look at you, show off :-) So what is this Clay you speak of and how does a noob start with this?

Educate please

So what is this Clay you speak of and how does a noob start with this?

Clay barring is an old restoration trick used by many a car restorer. The process is to get a clay bar (Canadian Tire) which in itself is a bit of a misnomer as it really looks like a big clump of "silly putty".

Well it's easier to explain if you watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfEfLGL59GI or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezWMMazr5zo or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvtVbqywxYs or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRwgnhCgwJE or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtkQYGhl2Wk. There are so many videos on this subject on You Tube that I can't list them all.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 2 weeks later...

One of my co-workers gave me a bottle of Turtle Wax Ice liquid to try today. I must say it is the easiest on/off wax I've ever used. You apply it with a sponge applicator and wipe off with a micorfiber towel - both of which are supplied with the wax. The car looks like a mirror. Very impressive. You can use it on plastic trim, too, and it does not leave a white residue. I also used it on the wheels and they came out great. They say you can apply it in direct sunlight. I used it in the sun, but it was only 59 degrees and there were high clouds so the sun was not all that bright. Nevertheless, it wiped off very easily with no streaks or any trace of powdery residue.

photo1_zps03c3d9e4.jpg

I should re-phrase the "only" - I am grateful that the temp was that high! What I meant was that it was not a hot, sunny day but just one where I applied the wax in direct sunlight. The high clouds kind of filtered the sun's rays anyhow. Today the temps are back in the 30's and will be in the teens tonight. And another winter storm is on tap for us about mid-week with more salt, sand and general crap on the roads :(

One of my co-workers gave me a bottle of Turtle Wax Ice liquid to try today.

I have been using the spray-on turtle wax after about every other wash and it works great. Just spray it on and wipe to a shine. Great stuff. I currently use the bottle of green cream turtle wax about every 6-8 months for regular waxing duties. Seems to do a good job. Is the Ice liquid supposed to be used in place of traditional wax or like the spray wax after washes?

Your DJ looks great BTW. I really love the Mango color. I wish the R/T was available in Mango Tango for 2011. It was available for other trim lines, but not R/T. Anyway, I got the Cherry Pearl instead. It looks great too.

Peace.

Is the Ice liquid supposed to be used in place of traditional wax or like the spray wax after washes?

The package is billed as an alternative to conventional wax. It is listed as a synthetic wax that repels dirt and leaves no residue, and is safe to use on plastic trim as well. I liked it and the result was beautiful. I'm undecided as to whether or not I'll switch. I'll decide when I run out of Ardex Miami Shine, which I love. It's really just as easy to apply and hardly leaves any residue at all, plus it has carnuba in it which really brings out the best in my Copper Pearl color, I think.

Thanks for the compliments! I thought all along that I would be ordering a R/T also, but we really loved the Copper Pearl color and the chrome wheels, neither of which are available on the R/T. I like the R/T interior the best. I love your color, too. Do you have any pictures up?

• 1 year later...

I too used to be cleaning my "dark one" every week. (not every day :P). Because we bought it new, and I got fed up in winter trying to clean it up (because I like cleaning it myself - manually, I don't trust machines or other people doing it. might leave scratches :) ) We got it for a crystal coating. One of my friends have a friend that does this on their yard and they gave me a discount. It was like 700 bucks. (this is half price) But after that, You wouldn't have to clean it that much. Now, I just spray it with water and clean it with my trusty cloth. all the dirt, bugs (i mean everything) just slides off! Now I only soap wash it every month. Not even waxing it as its shiny as hell :)

(EDIT) I forgot to mention, with crystal coat its more resistant to scratches as well

Edited by vitusdoom

Nice color! Awesome! LOL. And, I finally get to see a DJ with a hitch! Looks good. Does any of the lower bumper need to be cut, or is it just close? I thought that a lot more of the hitch would be exposed. Is that the Mopar hitch? And if it is, is there a 7 pin round connector or just a flat 4 pin? Thanks.

Edited by dhh3