Error Codes P0420 and P0430

Hi folks ! My name is Roosevelt, this is my first post, I live in Brazil and I have one Dodge Jouney 2.7 V6 year/model 2010. I buy this car an February 2013 with 47.000 km. Past one month, the engine light ( MIL ) comes on the panel. The errors codes presents:

P0420-CATALYST EFFICIENCY (BANK 1)

P0430-CATALYST EFFICIENCY (BANK 2)

Go to the dealer... In the first and secound times, fix the problem, scan the car with new program and updated my system. But the light comes on 3 days after...

In the third time, change the O2 sensor... The light comes on after 1.200 km....

Now, condemned the catalytic converter (costs +/- USD $ 2.600 ) and the Dodge in Brazil don't change this piece in warranty because the old owner not completed all review program...

But about this error codes, can help-me?

Tks Roosevelt

Tks Davidlb512 for your interest!

The warranty in the Brazil is similar as to EUA, but not for all items... And the laws that protect the costumers are very lazy... For example, the catalytic converter in my car... If this piece as really with problems, the Dodge in Brazil would have change and solve this situation.

But my interest as know if other member this forum/site had the same problem and how fix the errors.

Regards Roos

In the US, and Canada, the DJ is only available eith the 2.4 i4, or the 3.5 & 3.6 v6.

I believe that your engine might be a Dodge Avenger engine. You could try those forums to get better details on engine repairs.

But if you need just s catalyc converter. Try googling it for that engine size, they should run less than 200$.

• 8 months later...

Do you have emission inspection laws in Brazil? The catalytic converter should be covered under the emissions warranty. Converters rarely "fail" at the age yours is. Is there another dealer you could visit? Sounds like they dont know what they are doing. Did I read that right, they want $2600.00 US to change the converter?

• 2 months later...

Well the problem is Brazil actually, everything cost too much,Specially for the price of the car it self we pay around 2 to 3 times the original price...but leaving that apart... for something that some times is way cheaper, a very simple example is brake pads and shock observers here brake pads original mopar cost a least U$ 300, and simple shock observer is around for the pair U$800... the dealers here are not the best, some times it would be easy just to go to 3rd party mechanic workshops to fix instead of wasting huge money.... our taxes are too high for parts... well i have the same issue... P0420 and P430 i bought a small Bluetooth OBD 2 scan for my car in order to monitor and and try to find the solution, we do have emissions controls and for me it is very strange since i have just pass thru one and they have certified my car ok, way below the limits, so is my catalytic converter bad? well i have read many articles and tutorials and seen a lot of videos on the web, on my 2 O2 sensors before the catalytic converter is showing the wave form on the graph as normal up and down, but after the catalytic converter should show something close to straight line but on i can only see that on my second bank after and only when the engine is on idle, if i accelerate and keep close to 2500 rpms it does not look like a straight line... i have taken pictures i will try to post, but before i have to find out how.... I have Dodge Journey 2010/2010 SXT 2.7 L V6 185... no ecu upgrades all original ....

my daughter has had that code on her 2007 caravan 3.3 eng for over a yr now, i have checked the internet and it seems to be a very common and hard thing to cure. i would think its not the converter but problems before it o2 sen and or dirty injectors or other items. as hers is on her mail van and she didnt want to spend gobs of money and since it hasnt affected the performance and gas milage she hasnt wanted to try and get it fixed and has used it for over a yr now.of course we dont have engine inspections in albama

2late4u thanks for the reply, my only concern is since the MIL light is on, i wouldn't know if another code would come up, I also have cleared the code fault then after 1000 km it comes again and it is just annoying, i bought a very cheap Bluetooth OBD 2 reader in other to check the faults and i have done some monitoring, since our fuel here in Brazil not one of the best quality... anything is possible... but i will try to use some Cat Converter cleaner that adds to the fuel to see if improves... soon i will be doing some normal maintenance like spark plugs, and will clean the injectors to see if improves... i was also trying to find out if there is any way to block these 2 codes from appearing, i have just checked for emission controls got the certification ok and our is yearly and the car is running good so far...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Journey_SeXT, one of the reasons could be due to the fuel, even though we use Gasoline some of our gas stations could sell mixture of gasoline with Ethanol, but major gas station, are still ok and only from them I fuel up the tank, other friends that also own DJ has no issue at all.... but still seeking for a solution, so far I went to 3 dealers / Dodge Re-sellers / Experts,well i went to them and presented the PDF files that Milous posted on this topic, well their response was sorry we do not have the proper equipment to perform these test, and also the manufacture just tell us to replace everything that will solve it and normally we do this when it is still on the warranty, "BUT" to replace all that is almost an equivalent of 3 thousand us dollars here in Brazil out of warranty, i'm an Electronic Tech, some of the test I can do my self but when it comes to the mechanical side and some other specific tools required i just get lost in the test, my family just LOVE this car, the right space for us, i will find a fix some how, and maybe soon buy the new model... well i bought an OBD check, made some graphics presented to the dealers, they said that the O2 sensors are ok and maybe a leak, or a catalysis is the problem, but parts are expensive and still no guaranties that will fix it, so for just trying it would cast too much, so next month i will be stopping the car for a full suspension service, and then i will ask the guys to remove both front and rear cat and look for leaks, on this maintenance i will replace spark plugs, and others that could affect also on this code... but i will not give up... just love this car.... we have some insurance places that has unusable DJ, and they normally sells parts, i have seen some of them selling the complete exhaust system from 5 times less what i would pay to replace with new, i might give a try... since my has too be something common since both codes appears at the same time, not one and then the other... both... when found i will have fixed both...

• 5 months later...

Well, After almost a year, and LOTs of troubles, i finally, found the problem, went to one of these garage exhaust guys and had a big cry and after 10 minutes talk, and 2 minutes of work, he lift the car, found 2 major leaks, repaired, something that other 3 exhaust garage place couldn't find, and fixed the issue, well now running the car without any MIL light .... so far for 3 days.... normally it would re-appear after being clear almost instantly.... So Happy... just a feed back for all the help... the guy did a simple check, with a rag on his hand, covered the exhaust and then we were able to find it very easily..... another one clear.... now planning upgrades.... :-)

Glad to hear that the problem was as simple as it was. Sorry to hear that there are so few competent technicians in your country.

Brazil was one of my favourite destinations when I used to travel for business - lots of time spent in places like Sao Paulo, Rio, Belo Horizante and Campinas.