2012 low oil pressure

kanga80

So, I have a 2012 base model, and today I got the oil changed, and on the way home the low oil pressure light came on (super short drive). I have had it changed multiple times and the light has never come on after. I just checked the oil level and it doesn't seem to be measuring unless the engine is on, so I don't think the oil is flowing properly. Temperature of all the systems are just fine and not hot at all. I also got the tires rotated, I know its a reach, but could they have knocked a sensor loose or something? Should I just give it time or go back and see the shop again?

New to Las Vegas, so I have never used this shop before, and car only has less than 15k miles.

Sounds like they did not add enough oil. Pull the dipstick after the engine has been off for at least five minutes. if no oil is on the stick, add one quart, wait five minutes and recheck. If oil is showing on the stick but not to the "safe" mark, add 1/2 quart at a time until it reaches that mark. Always wait a few minutes before you recheck or add more.

i would def take it back to the dealer where i guess you had the oil changed as they give you at least 4 free oil changes with your new car and tell them what is going on ( hope they were the ones that changed your oil as it sounds like they didnt refill enough oil in the engine so it would be their fault if there is any engine damage ) good luck and as always check your oil level and coolant at least ONCE a week..... just for safety sake i always do

i agree with bigstar if it was that low i would make them document it and keep that paperwork and i also would be talking to the manager of the dealership about it and might try to get an extended warrenty at cost since you dont have no idea on what damage could have been done due to low oil. but as when i have any service work like oil change i always check the oil level before leaving the dealership. i just had my trans serviced and since we dont have a dip stick for it i had them check it again before i left and a week later i went by and they checked it again in front of me so i could see that it was at the correct level, they had no problem doing that for me with no cost.. always save any and all paperwork of service work done...............

Thanks guys, I took it back and they had severely under-filled it. Had to put 4 more quarts in...thinking they didn't put any in

Ah yeah, they forgot to put the oil in the engine. You are very lucky you didn't seize the motor. And never check the oil with the motor running.

Edited by senah

And this is a prime example why I do my own oil changes. You just can't trust lazy people these days. A decade ago I took my car to get the oil changed at a shop (my first time ever doing this). On the drive home everything starts smoking and the oil light comes on. Turns out the idiots took the o-ring off the oil filter, so the engine had run dry and left me stranded. Needless to say, that was the last time I ever took a vehicle to a shop (except for free warranty work when needed).