Missing compass from 2013 RT

When I was at the dealership the technician said that if the parts department is given access to order the compass module for you, then you can add it, otherwise the system won't allow you to order it. My vin allows me to order it. That being said, I'm headed back to the dealer to drop my car off and see what REALLY happens.

• Official Dodge Support

The way that I understand it as of now is that if the compass and trip computer is on the build sheet and the sticker it is a software fix. If it is not on the build sheet it is more complicated and they are working on a fix for those vehicles. I will post any information I get.

Baby steps...Today the service manager at my dealership re-re-confirmed that 1) my compass was missing 2) that there were no soft keys to set it up 3) my window sticker indicated that my vehicle HAD a compass and 4) my vehicle build sheet did NOT include a compass. He checked another new Journey Crew on their lot that's identical to mine and it didn't have a compass either. He contacted Chrysler's "STAR" tech support group and created a file on my vehicle. They suggested he pull down the the roof liner and locate the place where the module's supposed to be and insert a module. He's ordering a compass module and will use the car on their lot as the guinea pig early next week. He's still not sure what needs to be done to the display to make sure it allows access to the compas set up features....we'll see. I'll let you know what happens next week.

• Official Dodge Support

Just as an FYI, a solution on this issue is being worked on and a TSB is going to be released on it. I state this so if you do not want the dealership to use your vehicle as a test to get this repair then I suggest waiting for the fix to come out. Right now the time frame listed is some time in April. While that could change, I just wanted to keep everyone updated so you can make an informed decision as to having the dealer attempt the repair now.

We're getting close! The service manager from the dealership just called and said that they successfully fixed the Journey on their lot with a software update. I'm going to try to take my vehicle over there this afternoon to get mine taken care of.

Fixed!!! It turned out to be a pretty simple fix. The compass module was already installed in the car, however, the Infotainment system wasn't configured to acknowledge/control it. The technician flashed an updated version of the software. The compass now displays and the compass calibration option shows up on the monitor. I hope the rest of you have the same good fortune. Good luck!

• Official Dodge Support
Fixed!!! It turned out to be a pretty simple fix. The compass module was already installed in the car, however, the Infotainment system wasn't configured to acknowledge/control it. The technician flashed an updated version of the software. The compass now displays and the compass calibration option shows up on the monitor. I hope the rest of you have the same good fortune. Good luck!

Good to hear. So your saying with a single flash the compass direction shows up on the EVIC and on the radio?

Good to hear. So your saying with a single flash the compass direction shows up on the EVIC and on the radio?

I'm certainly hoping so... My guys wanted to try it on mine tomorrow, but, we're expecting 6-18" of snow starting this evening through tomorrow (3/5 -6), so, I'm going to take it up on Thursday (3/7) after we get plowed out of the snow. My Journey is in the same boat; listed on window sticker, not on build sheet, that we can see (but, it may be part and parcel of one of the "packages"). I've got my fingers crossed, and I'll keep the forum posted after I go up on Thursday. Hopefully, it is a software issue on the 8.4N that is not allowing / displaying the information from a module that already exists as was the case for ZMAN...

• Official Dodge Support

I am hoping that is the issue. I can see when the TSB is scheduled for release but not what's in it, so it is a little frustrating.

Edited by DodgeCares

• Official Dodge Support

I am posting the TSB that just came out on the issue in case anyone has a dealer that cant find it.

NUMBER: 08-012-13
GROUP: Electrical
DATE: March 02, 2013

THIS SERVICE BULLETIN IS ALSO BEING RELEASED AS RAPID RESPONSE
TRANSMITTAL (RRT) 13-016. ALL APPLICABLE SOLD AND UN-SOLD RRT VIN's
HAVE BEEN LOADED. TO VERIFY THAT THIS RRT SERVICE ACTION IS
APPLICABLE TO THE VEHICLE, USE VIP OR PERFORM A VIN SEARCH IN
TECHCONNECT. ALL REPAIRS ARE REIMBURSABLE WITHIN THE PROVISIONS OF
WARRANTY.
THE wiTECH SOFTWARE LEVEL MUST BE AT RELEASE 13.03 OR HIGHER TO
PERFORM THIS PROCEDURE.
SUBJECT:
Compass Display Missing
OVERVIEW:
This Bulletin involves reconfiguring the vehicle for proper operation of the compass.
MODELS:
2013 (JC) Journey
NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicles built between September 20, 2012 (MDH
0920XX) and January 11, 2013 (MDH 00111XX).
SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
The customer may note the compass display is missing in the Electronic Vehicle
Information Center (EVIC). The Monroney Label does show this as an option for the
vehicle.

I just got some good news from Denny (DodgeCaresCa) that the TSB for the compass applies to my my 2013 SXT. I'll get it done in 2 weeks when I bring it in for my first oil change. Thanks Denny and Chris!! Good job.