Missing compass from 2013 RT

Hi All

I picked up my new 2013 RT today. After a bit of a drive I noticed that there was compass reading in the dash display and no option in the 8'4 connect.

This feature was available on the demo, but seems to be missing from mine. Any thoughts? Is this a firmware issue, error, or something not included in my car?

Cheers

Edited by ZedNZ

• Official Dodge Support
Hi All

I picked up my new 2013 RT today. After a bit of a drive I noticed that there was compass reading in the dash display and no option in the 8'4 connect.

This feature was available on the demo, but seems to be missing from mine. Any thoughts? Is this a firmware issue, error, or something not included in my car?

Cheers

Welcome to the forum. See below.

Uconnect® 8.4 Customer Programmable Features

• The Uconnect® 8.4 system allows you to access Customer Programmable feature settings

such as Display, Clock, Safety/Assistance, Lights, Doors & Locks, Heated Seats,

Engine Off Operation, Compass Settings, Audio, Phone/ Bluetooth and SIRIUS Setup

through soft-keys.

• Touch the Settings soft-key to on the bottom of the screen, then touch the Settings

soft-key to access the Settings screen. When making a selection, scroll up or down until

the preferred setting is highlighted, then press and release the preferred setting until a

check-mark appears next to the setting, showing that setting has been selected. The

following feature settings are available:

• Display • Engine Off Options

• Clock • Compass Settings

• Safety / Assistance • Audio

• Lights • Phone / Bluetooth

• Doors & Locks • SIRIUS Setup

Edited by DodgeCares

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. As you described, I'd at least expected to see an option in the settings menu, but I do not have the 'compass settings' option (all the others are there). I could put this down to the fact that it might not be an option in New Zealand, but the demo car that I tested had this function.

Look forward to any additional thoughts.

Cheers

• Official Dodge Support
Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply. As you described, I'd at least expected to see an option in the settings menu, but I do not have the 'compass settings' option (all the others are there). I could put this down to the fact that it might not be an option in New Zealand, but the demo car that I tested had this function.

Look forward to any additional thoughts.

Cheers

Did the one you took for a demo ride have the navigation? PM me the vin and I will see if I can find out anything.

• Official Dodge Support
Hi Chris,

No the demo model was also an RT without Nav. I can'r PM you since I don't have enough posts yet :)

VIN is 3C4PDCKG8DT581206

Cheers

Unfortunately I do not have the user manual for the RE6 model radio unit that you have in the vehicle. The instructions I posted above were from the RE2 radio used here in the states. I figured it would be comparable in features even though it is not designed for right hand drive vehicles. The only other suggestion I have is if you happen to be able to get me the vin of the vehicle you test drove I could see if it had the same unit. If it did, and it shows the direction we would at least know yours should have it as well and we would just need to figure out how to enable it. Have you asked the dealer about this? If you get the demo vin send it and I will check it.

I have the same issue on a new 2013 Journey Crew I just purchased. I had a compass on my 2012 Journey SXT so I was confused when I noticed it was missing in the Crew. I went through the 600+ manual I found on line but couldn't find the compass soft key in Settings that it referred to. I talked to the service dept. at the dealer this morning and they couldn't help. I plan to stop by this afternoon to let them try to figure it out. If I have success I'll post the solution. Good luck.

My 2013 R/T doesn't have the compass in the EVIC if that is where you are looking for it. My '08 Commander and my '11 RAM 2500 have it in the EVIC, but, that was the RER My Gig systems. I vaguely remember a 2012 R/T that I test drove did display a heading the EVIC, however, that particular R/T didn't have NAV in it and it is entirely possible I may be mistaken about that. Is it possible that the units without NAV have a compass in the EVIC? The NAV unit displays the compass heading when showing the map and the "more" data setting is on...

I've gone all through the 8.4N's software and there is no "Clock/Compass" setting or plain "Compass" setting. None of the other "More" settings has anything to do with a compass and I couldn't find anything in the navigation software that would display one either, with the exception of the "more" setting for the map data.

I haven't poured through all the manuals yet, but, "eyes on" with all the software in the 8.4N hasn't revealed a soft switch to turn one on or off, nor were there any settings in the EVIC that I could find that would display a compass heading.

Edited by webslave

The saga continues.....The Dodge technician plowed through all the menus and realized (as the rest of us already know) that there was no compass soft-key available. His comment was, "although it seems odd that there wouldn't be a compass on this model, they build them how they build them. Sometimes they don't build with the features they normally include". I asked about the possibility of adding a compass module and was directed to take my vin to the parts counter to see if one was available for my particular car. The deal is, if your vehicle is built to handle the compass, then the parts department will be given access to order it. The compass module is available for my car ($44) but the technician wasn't sure how difficult it would be to install....maybe access is available behind the center control panel (no big deal) or up in a corner of the dash (bigger deal)....they've never done it before. That comment made me suspicious. I'm the only guy that's bitched about a missing compass in his car, really? I have to make an appointment to let them figure out how much it would cost to add it. I'm a little disappointed in all this as I'm sure you guys are. I also sent an email to the Dodge technical support group last night hoping to get a clearer understanding why a car with all the other features this one has wouldn't have this simple feature. I'm awaiting a response from them.

If you really have to pay for it, save the money: the compass in this car (and I think in any car, but that's just me, I'm not a hunter-gatherer), while a nice gimmick, is completely useless since

1. instead of showing where the north is (like a real compass), it shows the direction the car is heading (quite confusing to me)
  2. it only shows 8 points (N,NE,E,SE,S,SW,W,NW)

I just looked at my window sticker... My 2013 R/T is supposed to have "Trip Computer with Temperature and Compass". I spent, as I mentioned in another post above, some time going through every menu item in both the EVIC and the UConnect systems and can find no "switch" to turn it on or off. The EVIC has a blank spot, on the top, left hand side, where, if memory serves me, the compass heading should be. I called my dealer and they said that "yep, it is supposed to have the compass and that's where it should be...bring it up Tuesday and we'll try to figure out what's going on..." So, it isn't based solely on trim level and whether you have the NAV system or not, it should have the compass with the "Trip Computer with Temperature and Compass" if that is listed with your build.

It doesn't make a huge difference to me as the NAV system has pretty much the same information and I have a good sense of direction, however, my wife doesn't and she uses that information to determine her general direction and where the "west side of town is" when she's out and about. On top of that, I paid for it, it (the window sticker and sales brochures) lists it and as such, should have it. We'll see next Tuesday what's going on. If there is a missing module, Dodge should foot the bill for both its purchase and installation since I've already paid for it in the purchase price of the car. :-)

• Official Dodge Support
I just looked at my window sticker... My 2013 R/T is supposed to have "Trip Computer with Temperature and Compass". I spent, as I mentioned in another post above, some time going through every menu item in both the EVIC and the UConnect systems and can find no "switch" to turn it on or off. The EVIC has a blank spot, on the top, left hand side, where, if memory serves me, the compass heading should be. I called my dealer and they said that "yep, it is supposed to have the compass and that's where it should be...bring it up Tuesday and we'll try to figure out what's going on..." So, it isn't based solely on trim level and whether you have the NAV system or not, it should have the compass with the "Trip Computer with Temperature and Compass" if that is listed with your build.

It doesn't make a huge difference to me as the NAV system has pretty much the same information and I have a good sense of direction, however, my wife doesn't and she uses that information to determine her general direction and where the "west side of town is" when she's out and about. On top of that, I paid for it, it (the window sticker and sales brochures) lists it and as such, should have it. We'll see next Tuesday what's going on. If there is a missing module, Dodge should foot the bill for both its purchase and installation since I've already paid for it in the purchase price of the car. :-)

If you PM me the vin on your 2013 I will check it out. This helps explain something I didn't understand earlier. Early builds had the trip computer and compass on the Crew and R/T's as standard but later models it was removed. If you can also send a picture of your sticker that would help. I will look into it and get back to you.

If you PM me the vin on your 2013 I will check it out. This helps explain something I didn't understand earlier. Early builds had the trip computer and compass on the Crew and R/T's as standard but later models it was removed. If you can also send a picture of your sticker that would help. I will look into it and get back to you.

Done

I just found my window sticker and it also has listed " Trip Computer with Temperature and Compass" although the build sheet I got from Dodge doesn't list it. I'll be getting back with the dealer to have them install the compas pro bono.

If you really have to pay for it, save the money: the compass in this car (and I think in any car, but that's just me, I'm not a hunter-gatherer), while a nice gimmick, is completely useless since

1. instead of showing where the north is (like a real compass), it shows the direction the car is heading (quite confusing to me)
  2. it only shows 8 points (N,NE,E,SE,S,SW,W,NW)

Every vehicle I have owned with a compass has only ever showed the direction you are travelling. I don't see what you find confusing about this. N means you are driving north, etc. Pretty obvious.

Every vehicle I have owned with a compass has only ever showed the direction you are travelling. I don't see what you find confusing about this. N means you are driving north, etc. Pretty obvious.

Probably, but over here a compass in a car is not a specially sought after option, so no car I had previously came with one, hence my experience is with a real compass, which shows where the north is (and not limited to 8 points resolution). Anyway, I don't care, since I find it a useless gizmo, I would have much preferred something useful, like, say, a rain sensor.

A compass can be very handy, some years ago at night in the rain many miles from home I entered an expressway in Toronto and a few miles later noticed that I was going east instead of west to home, so I do see a need for a compass at times.

A navigator or simple street signs would be equally helpful. Unless you live in the woods, but this isn't an all-terrain car anyway.

• Official Dodge Support
I just found my window sticker and it also has listed " Trip Computer with Temperature and Compass" although the build sheet I got from Dodge doesn't list it. I'll be getting back with the dealer to have them install the compas pro bono.

I am not sure they will be able to do that at this point. I am still gathering information as to if a flash exists to add the compass and trip computer yet. If you want to PM me your vin and a email address I will add you to my contact list for this issue. While I will post anything I find on this thread, I can send a direct email alert once I know for sure that your vin is included with the fix for this issue once it comes out. If you prefer sending an email with your info, please send it to DodgeCares@gmail.com and state it is related to the Journey compass issue.