Missing compass from 2013 RT

Took mine to the dealership today... Good news and bad! I've got the compass now showing up on the EVIC; they followed the RRT released by MOPAR as Chris aluded to. The bad news, however, is that the compass does not show up on the 8.4N and there is no software entry in the menu for controlling the declination or invoking a recalibration; the menu still just shows "clock" for settings as opposed to "clock/compass".

They said they would contact the tech folks in Pittsburg to try and get a better handle on it.

Edit: I just talked to John at the dealership...turns out they followed they followed the RRT to the letter and it doesn't mention anything about reconfiguring the 8.4N to show the compass in the bar at the top, nor, adding a menu option for the 8.4N's option menu. He looked at a Dodge Charger with the 8.4N in it, and it had the EVIC compass showing, but, not showing in the top bar of the 8.4N nor was there a menu option for the compass on that unit's 8.4N either. I'm on way back up to the dealership this afternoon to let them look at the 8.4N's software to see if there is a switch somewhere that they have to throw in order to get it to show up and have the controls available. It may be that the RRT/TSB needs a couple of steps added to it and it may be a problem with more than just the Journey line since the Charger, while having the EVIC compass showing, also didn't have any controls nor display in its 8.4N unit.

Edit #2: Just got back from the dealership. No luck. He's going to have to get hold of someone in Pittsburgh to figure out what is going on. He's got a copy of the owner's manual's pages on the Compass and how to configure it for declination and how to perform the manual calibration along with the Service Manual's pages (print out of his screens in the shop) on how to do the same thing; the only problem is there isn't any way to do it since there is no menu option in the 8.4N's software...and no obvious means of getting it to show up. The same problem exists with the '13 Dodge Charger that he had sitting on his lot. No menu entries on that one either, so, it appears to be a wide spread issue across Dodge vehicles...

Edited by webslave

Webslave: maybe have your dealer contact Chris Brown (service manager) at Keffer Dodge in Charlotte, NC. He figured it out somehow. Also, compass settings option on the 8.4 display don't show up along with the clock like the manual says, it has it's own section....On the second page.

No "Clock/Compass" combination and no "Compass" option listed; that's the problem and why the dealer and I both realize that it isn't fixed (along with the compass being missing from the top of the 8.4N's information bar at the top). If it is configured properly there has to be a setting for "maintaining" the compass module. You have to be able to tell the declination of its current location in relation to magnetic north and true north (otherwise the heading will be inaccurate) and you have to be able to tell it to re-calibrate when it gets confused. I remember my Grand Caravan getting "confused" and I had to recalibrate it. You pushed "calibrate" and then drove in a circle a few times (need an empty parking lot); the module "learned" how to track the magnetic field and all was good again. The same thing applies to the module in the Journey...there are settings that need to be set before accuracy is fine tuned and you have to be able to re-calibrate should the module "loose its mind".

I'm guessing that the TSB fixed the EVIC's problem with recognizing the compass module's data on the CANBus and is now displaying the compass. Once we figure out how to get the 8.4N system to list the "Compass" settings option, the unit will also realize that the data is available and will display the compass heading in the info bar to the left of the clock reading so that it will show compass heading - time - outside temperature along with the comfort settings (thermostat, heated wheel and seats, etc). Where we are stuck now is how to get the 8.4N to display the proper menu options...the same problem exists, as I mentioned, on a brand new '13 Dodge Hemi Charger; it displays the compass heading in the EVIC, but, it, too, does not have a "Compass" options setting in its 8.4N.

I will forward the contact information to John, thanks for the point of contact!

Took mine in yesterday. All fixed with what they called 'flashing it'. Both the EVIC and 8.4 now display the compass as well as the 8.4 having the settings available.

Can you tell me what the "flashing it" entailed? Was it detailed on a service ticket receipt? Anything to help my guy out. He has a dialog going with their Star group and they are getting the engineering system involved, but, those guys are at a loss as to what the problem is...

The service department had closed by the time I picked up the car, so I only got to talk to my sales guy. I got the impression from him that it was just a software upload. But given he's not technical, that might be misleading. Whatever it was I think they found it by looking at the difference between cars that had the compass and those that didn't.

Sorry I don't think that I've been any help at all........

The service department had closed by the time I picked up the car, so I only got to talk to my sales guy. I got the impression from him that it was just a software upload. But given he's not technical, that might be misleading. Whatever it was I think they found it by looking at the difference between cars that had the compass and those that didn't.

Sorry I don't think that I've been any help at all........

Not a problem :) We're just at the point where confusion reigns and so far the Engineers appear clueless. We'll keep plugging away at it.

just looked at our 2013 R/T with the 8.4N and we have the compass display in the EVIC but not in the 8.4n screen unless you go into the GPS. There is also no option in settings to calibrate or control the compass so should I be asking about an update/flash for it ?? we just took possession of it last week and was built between the dates listed on the newest TSB.

Yes sir. That appears to be the issue with all of the 8.4N units rolling out from the factory, doesn't matter the model of Dodge. So far my dealer has looked at a couple of 8.4N on his lot and none of them (one Journey and two Chargers) appear to have the option to set the variance (declination) or the ability to calibrate the compass module nor the display of the compass in the information bar at the top of the 8.4N unit...similar to the EVIC, as I understand it, it is supposed to show the (from the left hand side) the interior thermostat setting, the heated seat mode, then the compass heading, the clock, the outside temp then steering wheel heat setting (don't know why that isn't on the driver's side...), the passenger seat heat mode and then the passenger side thermostat setting. All of that is there except the compass.

My dealer, at any rate, is still working on exactly what the problem is and what the corrective process should be. Evidently, the TSB (RRT) only addresses the problem of the compass heading not showing in the EVIC (the dealer got that fixed), but, it doesn't address the base problem within the 8.4N unit. But, yes, yours appears to have the "bug" also...

You can take it to your dealer and maybe he can fix it (it is fixable; several on the forum have had it done, but, they don't know exactly what was done) or he may have to wait until a definitive fix can be ascertained by Dodge or a "true fix process" can be documented by a dealer and communicated as a process as opposed to a "we flashed it and it is fixed". Aside from standing naked in front of the car "flashing" it, a software flash can entail many things; flashing with an older correct version of the software? Loading the same software over again? Flashing it with a newer version that hasn't had an official announcement yet? Flashed what? The 8.4N unit? The BCM? Some other processor? Can be very dangerous just indiscriminately throwing software around unless you know what the root problem is...I'm a Systems Engineer (retired) and know intimately the problems with a user "fixing" a problem with a download...

Edited by webslave

Webslave makes a good point, I think some of the problems are related to the customers often having a better grasp of software than the service departments attempting to fix the issues at hand. When I tried to get more information on 'who flashed, what and when' I got a bunch of the blank "I don't get paid that much mate".....

OK... My dealer has heard back from the folks in Pittsburgh... They are telling us that the 8.4N UConnect units with Navigation don't have the compass heading showing in the information bar at the top of the screen, nor does it have the menu items for setting the variance (declination) or for manually triggering a re-calibration of the module. They contend that the navigation unit takes care of the declination automatically and we are just screwed when it comes to displaying the compass heading in the information bar; the only place the compass will show is the EVIC unit. Doesn't make sense to us...the outside temperature shows in the information bar and the EVIC; why shouldn't the compass? Why, even if the navigation unit does it automatically, would the software not display the manual menu options; the unit displayed the DRL menu option even though the DRLs didn't work...? Doesn't make sense to us...

Those of you that have the compass and menu items showing; do you have the Navigation unit (Garmin) or is your unit without Navigation...? Just trying to get a feeling for whether we're both being fed a line (has happened to us before on my Jeep Commander and the DRLs on this vehicle) or if we are trying to get the unit to display information that it can't do because it has the Navigation feature...

Thanks!

Edited by webslave

So. I be been reading this thread.

There's lots of inconsistencies from Dodge.

Really doesn't make sense that there's no way to re-cal the compass (manually)

Either way, I have a 2012 SXT US spec.

While I was playing around installing my back up cam and back up sensors, I noticed a back box inside the roof liner, just aft of where the antenna is mounted.

Is that the compass module?

My car doesn't have any compass showing anywhere and it's not listed on the window sticker.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's installed but not Part of the right package therefore they keep it secret.

I have to get back in there soon. I'll take a pic.

I have the 8.4n and do not have the compass display but think that maybe the GPS takes care of all the compass settings automaticallyand if you want to display a compass you will just use that...IDK....just a thought....Its kinda redundant to display the compass in the EVIC/8.4 screen at the same time. also i do find it wierd that it displays the outside temp. in both also....

I have the 8.4n and do not have the compass display but think that maybe the GPS takes care of all the compass settings automaticallyand if you want to display a compass you will just use that...IDK....just a thought....Its kinda redundant to display the compass in the EVIC/8.4 screen at the same time. also i do find it wierd that it displays the outside temp. in both also....

The advantage to displaying the compass setting in the 8.4N's information bar is for the passenger. The placement of the EVIC unit is such that the wife can't see it. While it would show if we traveled with the GPS map in the display with the "Most" setting for information, it doesn't show the compass heading in any setting besides "most" information (kills about 1 1/2" of space on the map with heading, altitude, etc.) and if you are routing a trip, the heading doesn't show in the GPS at all...you get destination distance, arrival time, etc. with no compass heading. Most of the time, just driving around, the wife has said it would be nice to know what direction we were going in (her sense of direction is virtually non-existant) and if we are just driving around, the unit is set for the radio (Sirius) so that she can check the artist information for songs she likes. It seems to me, that if they were going to dual display the outside temperature (EVIC and 8.4N) it would make as much sense to dual display the compass heading...the data is already there and is displayed if you don't have GPS, evidently. So, I paid a premium for the GPS (a gps that doesn't always show the compass heading and only would if you show the map only) and I don't get a compass heading, which, unless you are routing a trip, actually has more value...

Webslave: answering your last question, my Journey has an 8.4 display WITHOUT GPS.

Well, maybe the engineers in Pittsburgh are spot on then. Seems kind of dumb to me (see above) that it is based on whether you have GPS or not. Now I know. Next time I won't get the GPS...I can get the same Garmin unit with Lifetime Maps for less than what I paid for the built in unit and then I'll have the compass heading for the wife :lol2:

Edited by webslave

My 2011 Crew has the 8.4N. It has always shown the compass heading on the EVIC screen and on the Nav button at the bottom of the 8.4N screen, so I have it in two places.

The compass heading has never shown at the top of my 8.4N screen. I also have the menu settings for variance and recalibration.

My 2011 Crew has the 8.4N. It has always shown the compass heading on the EVIC screen and on the Nav button at the bottom of the 8.4N screen, so I have it in two places.

The compass heading has never shown at the top of my 8.4N screen. I also have the menu settings for variance and recalibration.

is the nav system a GARMIN or another brand on the 2011s...

Biohazard

I have a 2012 8.4n. It is a Garmin and works as described by DRB227' for the 2011.

air1rfc,

Your 2012 8.4N has the Garmin GPS and displays compass heading on the 8.4N's screen in addition to the EVIC? So far, I'm thinking that the engineers may be correct in that if you have the Garmin GPS, you only have one instance of the compass heading and that should be in the EVIC. If, however, you have the Garmin GPS plus the two instances of the compass heading (the EVIC plus the 8.4N), then, they are mistaken, or, they made a change in the software for the 8.4N that turns it off on the 2013 models. If that is so, I wonder if it is possible to load an older version of the software, but, then I wonder what might also change on my system...usually software updates are designed to rectify errors and other problems...

OK... It is fixed now. Just for a lark, I disconnected the battery and waited 30 minutes and then reconnected the battery. That "resets" all the systems and lo and behold, I'm now a happy camper. I've got a compass heading in the EVIC and now I've got a compass heading in the center of the "NAV" button on the bottom of the display; prior to this afternoon it was just a black circle with no letter(s) in it. I'm good to go and the wife is happy to know what direction she is headed in as we tool down the road!

Perserverance... :yahoo: Thanks to all for your help; a few had it, so, I knew it had to be there, just hadn't thought of "resetting" the whole car.

Edited by webslave

OK... It is fixed now. Just for a lark, I disconnected the battery and waited 30 minutes and then reconnected the battery. That "resets" all the systems and lo and behold, I'm now a happy camper. I've got a compass heading in the EVIC and now I've got a compass heading in the center of the "NAV" button on the bottom of the display; prior to this afternoon it was just a black circle with no letter(s) in it. I'm good to go and the wife is happy to know what direction she is headed in as we tool down the road!

Perserverance... :yahoo: Thanks to all for your help; a few had it, so, I knew it had to be there, just hadn't thought of "resetting" the whole car.

just looked at ours and didnt even notice the compass heading in the NAV BUTTON. we do have it there, cool !!