A true camping JOURNEY !!

biohazard

• 2 weeks later...
Nice set up. How's it tow the little pop trailer? I would presume pretty easily with the 3.6L.

our journey is a 2010 and only has the 3.5 but yeah it pulls real easy... our camper is a 12 foorter with the 2 foot storage compartment (18' tow lenght, 2800 lbs dry weight) and to be honest i dont even feel it when we are driving and have to do a double take in the side views to make sure its still there :)... we are getting a 2013 RT with AWD and the 3.6 so i will let you know this spring if I can feel the difference which im sure i will...

• 4 months later...

We have a 1998 Jayco Eagle 8 SD pop-up camper that I currently tow with a 1999 300M. The M also has a 3.5 but only a four speed 42LE transmission. It pulls the camper just fine. I know it's back there but the car does not struggle with the weight. I'm sure the Journey with six speeds and an 30 extra HP will tow even easier. First camping trip will be early July and I'll post my observations then.

• 1 month later...

Did some towing this weekend with the Journey for the first time. I thought it would handle the camper better than the 300M and sure enough, big difference. The Journey is much more stable with the weight and the two extra ratios in the transmission make a big difference in power and even economy when towing. Plus, now I can see over the camper in the rearview whereas I could not in the 300M - huge plus there! Pics as promised:

SiteC5Montauk7-2013_zpsaf150a27.jpgSiteC5Montauk7-2013b_zpsb73810fe.jpg

Very nice

Where were you camping?

Hither Hills State Park in Montauk, NY. We love it there and our kids have made a bunch of friends there over the last three years. In the top photo, look between and behind the two tents and you'll see the top of the dune, covered in green beach plants, behind our site. The ocean is just on the other side of that dune - maybe 100' from our site. You fall asleep at night listening to it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

This is cool. I just bought at 2014 journey and I didn't think that I would be able to pull a pop up with ease. I'm glad I see that you are doing it with no problem. The tow rating on my Journey is only like 3500 pounds. which is a lot less then my ranger of 8000 pounds was. My Journey is only FWD and not AWD. I hope it doesn't effect the towing.

10252091_10201796052607216_6123070020685

Edited by Richie Schatz

What weights are you guys pulling? We've considered putting a hitch on one of our Journeys (mine has the 3.6L, 6-speed, AWD, so guess who's losing that battle...) and getting a camper down the road to spend weekends up north with. All depends on toy priorities after we buy a house to store them. I want my Camaro, dangit!

My Journey is only FWD and not AWD. I hope it doesn't effect the towing.

10252091_10201796052607216_6123070020685

Mine is also FWD. Our pop-up camper weighs 1200 lb. dry. With all our gear, bikes and the family we're probably over 2000lbs but the car handles it with ease. Much more responsive and stable than towing with our 300M, which wasn't bad but you definitely felt it. The Journey never feels burdened in any way. It remains responsive and controlled despite the load. It feels like it could tow a lot more, which is nice - never feels like it's near its limits.

Also FWD and my pop-up trailer weight 1800lb dry. The pop-up trailer is full, the storage box in the front must have 150lbs in it, there's the propane tank and the 12V batterie too. The DJ is full with luggage, two childrens and two adults and it feel safe but I keep my distance and don't drive over the limit even if it could go easily over.

• 9 months later...

I'm looking at getting a popup i have a 2013 Sxt penta star v6 I already have the hitch on there but the area it's bolted to doesn't look strong but it's the same holes everyone else uses. Any input? Also I want to put breaks on the trailer any input on wire routing etc. It says 2500/250 but people insist it can tow 3500

Welcome to the forum. My 2013 Journey SXT with the towing package, is rated at 2500. Previous years they were rated at 3500, which may have been because of changes to the suspension in 2013 model year.

Edited by rolly

Hither Hills State Park in Montauk, NY. We love it there and our kids have made a bunch of friends there over the last three years. In the top photo, look between and behind the two tents and you'll see the top of the dune, covered in green beach plants, behind our site. The ocean is just on the other side of that dune - maybe 100' from our site. You fall asleep at night listening to it.

OMG! I was born and raised in Southampton and spent a lot of my youth out east in Montauk. We would drive out there to watch the sunrise. My brother still lives there, but whenever I get to go home, I want to leave ASAP. Once Hollywood and the New Money Wall Street types discovered the Hamptons, it was over for me. All a bunch of snots. I love to walk down Main Street, or Jobs Lane in Southampton and pick out the wannabe's, hoping to get discovered! I have learned to spot them from a mile away. While I was growing up, it was the "Old Money" who had summer homes out there. The Fords, the DuPonts, ZaZa Gabor, Funk of dictionary fame (the stories I could tell). There were about 3,000 who lived in Southampton all year round, and the population might swell to 30,000 in the summer. What a great place for a kid to grow up. The ocean on one side, the Bay and the Sound on the other side. Next time you are out there, take the ferry to Shelter Island. If it hasn't changed since the last time I was there, you'll get a glimpse of how the South Fork used to look. On the second floor of the high school, in the science room, you could look out and see the sweet corn growing right up to the sand dunes!