2011 Uconnect Texting Functionality

I tried to PM this message to DodgeCares, but I get an error that he is not able to receive messages so I'll throw this out to everyone. . .

I am trying to enable the text SMS function on my RB5 Uconnect system in my 2011 Journey. I'm not a frequent text'r but it has become my mission to make this work if it is possible. I am due for a phone upgrade soon and would like to get a phone that will allow the text notification and possibly text response through Uconnect.

I found this document. . .

http://m.jeep.com/do...ty_Document.pdf

but it is from 3/2011 and I would like to know if there is a newer version of this table of phone compatibility results. On this table there are no results for text (SMS) on the table indicating that it has not been tested as of 3/2011. I've previously posted on the forum and been to 2 different dealers; I can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about text functionality.

My questions are these:

1. Can my 2011 RB5 system allow text (SMS) functionality?

2. What phone(s) would allow this functionality?

3. How does the text functionality work? Can I do this while driving?

Peace.

Edited by redtomatoman

• Official Dodge Support

I tried to PM this message to DodgeCares, but I get an error that he is not able to receive messages so I'll throw this out to everyone. . .

I am trying to enable the text SMS function on my RB5 Uconnect system in my 2011 Journey. I'm not a frequent text'r but it has become my mission to make this work if it is possible. I am due for a phone upgrade soon and would like to get a phone that will allow the text notification and possibly text response through Uconnect.

I found this document. . .

http://m.jeep.com/do...ty_Document.pdf

but it is from 3/2011 and I would like to know if there is a newer version of this table of phone compatibility results. On this table there are no results for text (SMS) on the table indicating that it has not been tested as of 3/2011. I've previously posted on the forum and been to 2 different dealers; I can't seem to find anyone who knows anything about text functionality.

My questions are these:

1. Can my 2011 RB5 system allow text (SMS) functionality?

2. What phone(s) would allow this functionality?

3. How does the text functionality work? Can I do this while driving?

Peace.

Red,

The 2011 RB5 does not have texting capability. According to my information that functionality was not available on the RB5 until 2012 models.

Well, their thinking is that this way you're going to buy a new car ;)

My thinking is that my new car will be from another manufacturer that hopefully treats their customers better.

I know that's wishful thinking, but at least I won't get the shaft from the same people twice.

I agree, I do wish we had the SMS (texting) function. I'm not sure you can say we got the shaft. None of us know the whole story. Maybe it just wasn't available in 2011? Maybe Dodge fumbled the snap and just left if off after putting it in the manual? Maybe there was some other snag? Who knows? All that aside, newer cars will have newer and additional features that older ones do not. Its a fact of technology. Evidently the technology line for 2011 was drawn right before addition of the SMS function, but what can you do? I have very few gripes with my Journey (so far). If I did not think the Journey had SMS, I'd never have missed that function in the first place. Hell, I didn't even want BT at first. I love that now. If I had SMS, I'd probably like that too. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Peace.

I agree, I do wish we had the SMS (texting) function. I'm not sure you can say we got the shaft. None of us know the whole story. Maybe it just wasn't available in 2011? Maybe Dodge fumbled the snap and just left if off after putting it in the manual? Maybe there was some other snag? Who knows? All that aside, newer cars will have newer and additional features that older ones do not. Its a fact of technology. Evidently the technology line for 2011 was drawn right before addition of the SMS function, but what can you do? I have very few gripes with my Journey (so far). If I did not think the Journey had SMS, I'd never have missed that function in the first place. Hell, I didn't even want BT at first. I love that now. If I had SMS, I'd probably like that too. Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

Peace.

We absolutely got the shaft. There is a hell of a lot more voice functionality that was added to the 2012 model that I don't understand why we couldn't have had or had a software update to add at least some of the functionality.

Ok. Fine, some shaft may have been given. I don't feel that way. I respect your right to feel differently. I think you said it yourself; you "don't understand why". Maybe there is more to the story. That's all I'm saying. Maybe Dodge intentionally gave all 2011 buyers the shaft. That possibility can't be ruled out, but there are also other possibilities that us as buyers may be unaware of because we are not privy to all the facts. Maybe an update is coming. Along with the gracenotes update. We can only hope.

Peace.

Edited by redtomatoman

We absolutely got the shaft. There is a hell of a lot more voice functionality that was added to the 2012 model that I don't understand why we couldn't have had or had a software update to add at least some of the functionality.

I think we're all getting into that APPLE update mentality.

The fact is simple, it wasn't available in '11, and now it is.

The LED tail lights were not available in '10.. Did they get the shaft?

Sure, maybe they COULD add it as an update, but that's not how business run.

No one had heard of updating phone software until apple did it. Even still, other manufacturers only update minimal details when android OS is updated.

Btw.. I hate having to use an iPhone, it's a company phone, free is always great, but an android would be better. Just in case anyone decides to call me an apple fan boy.

The difference is, I can buy a new iPhone for a couple hundred bucks if I want to upgrade. Not quite that easy with a vehicle!

Everything is relative. If you're in a contract with a carrier, it's going to cost you 699$ for another iPhone. Not the discounted price.

I would never pay that much for a cell phone myself, I'd wait till I'm done with my contract.

If I want more features from a car, I'd replace it when i can.

• 3 weeks later...

Just one more way we 2011 owners got the shaft when it comes to functionality of our 8.4" radios compared to the 2012 model.

We have a 2012 SXT with an 8.4 (without nav) and none of our 3 phones work with the SMS function. 3 different phone manufacturers. Don't work. Period. Paid for a function bundled as a "group" and it will probably never work. So it's not just you 2011 owners. It's been passed on to another model year. I'm pissed. I text many, many times daily and expected it to work. Doubt we'll ever see a fix. Disappointed in Dodge, Fiat, whatever.