2012 R/T AWD Rallye

lytefall

2 weeks after taking delivery I have had a couple minor issues related to the transmission that a trip to the dealer will hopefully solve with a flash. Fit and refinement is good. Nitpicking a bit, the center armrest/console rattles a bit when my arms not resting on it, and rattles and squeaks drive me nuts. I have to take a look and see what I can do about that. Otherwise I am impressed so far.

Haven't had much of those problems except for a minor squeak in the driver sit only in one particular position. Still less than 300km right now though, so we'll see.

What were the transmission issues you were having and were they resolved by the dealer?

What were the transmission issues you were having and were they resolved by the dealer?

There's a drone/slight shudder at the top of 3rd gear when accelerating normally (rpm 1500-1800). If I accelerate more aggressively through the same area the noise is not there. Also if I am coasting to a stop without applying the brakes the transmission shudders right before downshifts from 3rd-1st and 2nd-1st.

Edited by lytefall

I'll try to remember to watch for the shudder when coasting next time I drive. I'm more familiar with manual transmissions than automatic, so maybe I just dismissed any shuddering as normal automatic operation.

As for the shudder when accelerating, it seems to be a common thing. Was your dealer able to fix it for you?

• 1 month later...

I have a little shudder when:

1. Moving the steering while stopping and while on Reverse or D.
  2. Coming to stop firmly.
  3. When on idle (D) on a traffic light (not really a shudder but I feel the engine vibration a bit).

I have Crew 2012 v6, with 400KM on it.

Do you think I should take it to the dealer to resolve those or it is normal? some people are saying this will go away after the break-in and after the first oil change. thoughts?

• 4 weeks later...

I have experienced the same droning noise between 60 and 70km (40-50 mph) and took it in to the dealer. I went for a drive with the techician who was going to look into my issue. He said he had heard the drone before, but mine was the loudest.

He indicated that it was an exhaust pipe issue on R/T models. Something about stress on the pipes, so he contacted his support group and they said it was stress on the exhaust system which could be do to over tightning of the hanger bolts. So these have been re-torqued and the noise has been lessened. According to the comments on the work order, this seems to be limited to R/T models and they do not have a fix that will completely eliminate the drone as yet. The unforuntate thing is that were I live, most driving is in the 60 to 70 km range.

I just don't remember hearing this drone during my test drives of various R/T's. Oh well, still loving the vehicle, and I just love driving it on the highway. Boy is that where this vehicle shines.

Possibly it's the routing of the pipes required by AWD components.

My FWD is dead quiet at all speeds.

Thats what I am thinking also. With additional compoments for the AWD to the rear wheels, I would assume the area where the tailpipes are routed have less clearance than non AWD models.

R/T exhaust is no different than reg. AWD exhaust.

As for the drone and shifting issues, no fix as of yet, but I have been told its being worked on when I talked to engineering on friday. Droan may be a flash, and/or something changed and/or added to exhaust. Not happy with the shifting of mine, but no sense pulling it apart, as its a software calibration issue.

• 2 months later...

First road trip this weekend in the 2013 AWD Rallye and it's road manners are impecable. The engine makes a ton of tourque and revs quite willingly. The short coming is in the transmission for sure. it's an absolute slug in autostick mode and the long drawn out shift changes on the highway are really annoying. I'm sure it's a calibration issue and will be adressed in the future much as the AWD Avengers was when it was first mated with the 6 speed back in 2008. I prefer the shifting of my Avenger but the Pentastar engine is superb!! I would have bought a 2013 Avenger R/T if the had an AWD model still. I love my Avenger!!

• Official Dodge Support

First road trip this weekend in the 2013 AWD Rallye and it's road manners are impecable. The engine makes a ton of tourque and revs quite willingly. The short coming is in the transmission for sure. it's an absolute slug in autostick mode and the long drawn out shift changes on the highway are really annoying. I'm sure it's a calibration issue and will be adressed in the future much as the AWD Avengers was when it was first mated with the 6 speed back in 2008. I prefer the shifting of my Avenger but the Pentastar engine is superb!! I would have bought a 2013 Avenger R/T if the had an AWD model still. I love my Avenger!!

Srt,

If a software update comes out for the transmission shifting on the 2013's I will post it here.

• 1 month later...

Okay, just passed the 5000km (3000 miles) mark and a good long highway drive. So far, fuel economy is not great!! 10.9L/100km (26 mpg imp.) highway round trip on 850 kms (510 miles). I know I'm not going to get 32 like on my Avenger RT AWD but I'd like a bit more. We'll see as it gets better broken in. Transmission is a dog...very lazy downshifts for passing. Got caught on a passing lane stuck out in the lane for what seemed like forever while the tranny decided what gear it should be in, I was not amused!! NVH is excellent, no rattles/squeakes/wind noise to speak of. Ride quality is very good, a bit better than the Avenger but of course with more body roll in tight corners. All features/options work exactly as planned although I'm finding the Alpine sound system to be a little flat at lower volumes. With SSV set at 3, it's better but nowhere near the sound quality or volume levels of the Boston Acoustic sytem that the Avenger had. Maybe a different OEM supplier would help alevieate this issue. All in all, I'd give the vehicle an 8.5/10 in the expectations I had before purchase. A better fuel economy number and a tranny flash (please God...PLEASE!!) would certainly push that figure to a 9.5. Let's see how it handles a real Northern Ontario winter with all-season radials...should be interesting driving when the temps reach -20 for weeks on end...I'll keep you posted!!

• Official Dodge Support

Thank you and if you can pass this on...It is sorely needed!!!

Not sure of your build date but this flash is out there.

NUMBER: 18-024-12 REV. A

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: November 03, 2012

SUBJECT:

Flash: MIL Illumination P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High And

Transmission Shift Improvements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control

Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:

2012 - **2013** (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle equipped with a 3.6L or 2.4L engine (sales

code ERB or ED3) and a 6 speed automatic transmission (sales code DG2)

built before **October 23, 2012 (MDH 1023XX)**.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience any of the following:

· Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the

Technician may find that P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High

has been set active or stored 3.6L engine.

NOTE: **MIL Illumination for P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor

Circuit High affects 2012 model year vehicles only.**

· 1 - 2 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines

· 3 - 4 harsh upshift at closed throttle after a WOT stab in 1st or 2nd gear. 2.4L & 3.6L

engines

· 4 - 5 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines

· 5 - 6 upshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· 6 - 5 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· 6 - 4 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· RPM Fluctuating or Jerking feeling while operating in cruise control. Condition is

more noticeable when the vehicle is going up and down grades.2.4L & 3.6L

engines

· 1 - 2 harsh upshift going down a grade 2.4L engine

· 3 - 2 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine

· 4 - 3 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine

· **Improves the consistency of how shifts are controlled during upshifts “torque

management”**

Updating the software will correct the condition listed above.

Edited by DodgeCares

I've been waiting for this update for long ... how can I go about updating my 2012 Crew?

• Official Dodge Support

I've been waiting for this update for long ... how can I go about updating my 2012 Crew?

Nabeez,

An appointment with the dealer should be made. If you are experiencing the symptoms in the TSB the dealer should perform the update for you.

SUBJECT:

Flash: MIL Illumination P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High And

Transmission Shift Improvements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control

Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:

2012 - **2013** (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle equipped with a 3.6L or 2.4L engine (sales

code ERB or ED3) and a 6 speed automatic transmission (sales code DG2)

built before **October 23, 2012 (MDH 1023XX)**.

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience any of the following:

· Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the

Technician may find that P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High

has been set active or stored 3.6L engine.

NOTE: **MIL Illumination for P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor

Circuit High affects 2012 model year vehicles only.**

· 1 - 2 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines

· 3 - 4 harsh upshift at closed throttle after a WOT stab in 1st or 2nd gear. 2.4L & 3.6L

engines

· 4 - 5 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines

· 5 - 6 upshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· 6 - 5 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· 6 - 4 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· RPM Fluctuating or Jerking feeling while operating in cruise control. Condition is

more noticeable when the vehicle is going up and down grades.2.4L & 3.6L

engines

· 1 - 2 harsh upshift going down a grade 2.4L engine

· 3 - 2 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine

· 4 - 3 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine

· **Improves the consistency of how shifts are controlled during upshifts “torque

management”**

EXACTLY!!!!! This is what needs to be done. Ima go check the build date right now and thank you for keeping us up to date!!

There's a drone/slight shudder at the top of 3rd gear when accelerating normally (rpm 1500-1800). If I accelerate more aggressively through the same area the noise is not there. Also if I am coasting to a stop without applying the brakes the transmission shudders right before downshifts from 3rd-1st and 2nd-1st.

This is exactly what's happening in my 2012 Crew (3.6), also I noticed that there is a latency in down-shifting, when the car speed comes down to 50 km/h the car would still be on 5th gear!!!

Do you think this update will make it better?

Edited by nabeez

• Official Dodge Support

This is exactly what's happening in my 2012 Crew (3.6), also I noticed that there is a latency in down-shifting, when the car speed comes down to 50 km/h the car would still be on 5th gear!!!

Do you think this update will make it better?

I hope it makes it better. Only one way to find out though, and that is to get the flash done.