Noise after oil change at the dealership

TommySam

Has anyone encountered this?

I'm not a mechanic and don't know how to tinker with an engine. I took my 2011 Journey with 10,000 miles to the local dealership to take advantage of another of the free oil changes that came with the purchase. They had it at the door when I left and by the time I drove past 3 garage bays I had to shut it down due to a horrible engine noise. The rep came out and tried to start it and the problem continued. They gave me a rental for the day. When I returned they said they couldn't find a problem and that it started and ran fine for them. The ticket suggested that I heard "valve noise after an oil change."

After getting home I realised that I might have capture the noise on video since I keep a dash camera running when I drive. Sure enough the noise was there. I've posted the video on YouTube and would welcome any thoughts and comments on the problem.

Someone forgot to add oil after emptying the crankcase and changing the filter, and then ran the engine up, starving the upper valve train (at the very least). Typically they will start-up and check for leaks while finishing up, and I bet that's what has happened. Or they didn't bother to run it up and it simply left the bay without oil. Permanent engine damage is a major possibility. This is what happens when shops hire kids to do oil changes, becuase there's no profit margin in them (moreso on a 'FREE' oil change).

"They couldn't find a problem"...translation: they realized there was no oil in the engine, so added some, but at that point the damage is done. The engine runs of course, but the valve train and possibly cam and crankshaft bearings have been wiped.

I'd be fuming mad and would go straight to the top at the dealership. It's no coincidence that your engine with only 10,000 miles is noisy after an oil change. As a last resort, hopefully you've got warranty remaining.

That's really terrible - sorry to hear. I hope you get resolution in this.

Edited by Geer

• Official Dodge Support

Has anyone encountered this?

I'm not a mechanic and don't know how to tinker with an engine. I took my 2011 Journey with 10,000 miles to the local dealership to take advantage of another of the free oil changes that came with the purchase. They had it at the door when I left and by the time I drove past 3 garage bays I had to shut it down due to a horrible engine noise. The rep came out and tried to start it and the problem continued. They gave me a rental for the day. When I returned they said they couldn't find a problem and that it started and ran fine for them. The ticket suggested that I heard "valve noise after an oil change."

After getting home I realised that I might have capture the noise on video since I keep a dash camera running when I drive. Sure enough the noise was there. I've posted the video on YouTube and would welcome any thoughts and comments on the problem.

Tommy,

I would contact the Chrysler Customer Assistance Center at 800-992-1997 and have the incident documented in case the poster above is correct. This way Chrysler has the incident on record for future reference.

Call Chrysler as Chris advises and get this issue documented pronto.

Is the Journey still making any abnormal noises during start up or when driving?

If so probably Geer is spot on... someone started it with no oil accidentally - then added oil. Probably had oil when they drove it around the building. But that doesn't fix the permanent damage to the engine that would very likely result.

If, however, the engine is quiet and running normally - maybe someone left a tool or something else under the hood and it fell against the pulleys when the mechanic stopped? LOL - it happens.

Edited by Jay Sixspeedrt

• Official Dodge Support

Call Chrysler as Chris advises and get this issue documented pronto.

Is the Journey still making any abnormal noises during start up or when driving?

If so probably Geer is spot on... someone started it with no oil accidentally - then added oil. Probably had oil when they drove it around the building. But that doesn't fix the permanent damage to the engine that would very likely result.

If, however, the engine is quiet and running normally - maybe someone left a tool or something else under the hood and it fell against the pulleys when the mechanic stopped? LOL - it happens.

Yes, better to have documentation on Chrysler's end. No telling what actually may have happened but just in case.

Unfortunately this isn't a Chrysler issue, but rather one between you and the dealer, though it can't hurt to keep Chrysler in the loop. You need to make a FORMAL claim with the dealer IN WRITING and using REGISTERED MAIL!!!!

If I was the dealer my question would be to ask you whether the oil light was on when you picked it up - because that's something they will be asking - and it could be a deal breaker for any claim - you aren't supposed to be driving with the oil light on.

I thank everyone for their input. I realize if problems arise I will be working with the dealer. To cover all the bases I took the advice given and contacted Chrysler. At least the incident is on file and I have the video.

As far as I can tell I'm not experiencing any unusual noise at the moment - but to be honest I never paid enough attention to recognize subtle differences. Maybe I should have a third-party take a look?

During a replay of the video was when I discovered that the noise starts as their tech drives the car up to the waiting lounge door. When I got behind the wheel there were no warning bells, whistles or idiot lights going off.

Again, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I am hoping for you, Tommy, it's just something stupid like a mechanic left *something* under the hood, and it got squared away with no damage, and they just didn't want to tell you what happened.

Should be easy to tell if there's any damage at the next oil change - have someone look for metal shavings/filings in the oil when it's drained out. Dunno if the Journey's drain plug is magnetic - some are magnetic and metal will pile up on the plug if something was damaged.

Jay, Great point

Tommy;

I suggest you run the oil for a couple of thousand miles, then drain off a small amount and have it sent off for analysis to someone like http://www.oaitesting.com/ and see what they have to say. In the meantime put the dealer on notice IN WRITING BY REGISTERED MAIL within 10 days of the event holding him responsible for any damage resulting from whatever it was that happened.

i agree with with moparman also you have 7yr 100 mile warrenty on powertrain thur chyrsler and if any questions with who would cover problem would be between chrysler or dealer as you have documented this occurance. wouldnt worry about it any more unless you hear it aain. also liked the idea of dash cam and recorder, why do you have it for work or what?

i agree with with moparman also you have 7yr 100 mile warrenty on powertrain thur chyrsler and if any questions with who would cover problem would be between chrysler or dealer as you have documented this occurance. wouldnt worry about it any more unless you hear it aain. also liked the idea of dash cam and recorder, why do you have it for work or what?

I also like the idea of a dash cam.

I saw a U-tube video, where a motorist has a dash mounted video cam. When he was stopped, some people in an expensive BMW purposely backed into him.(Smelling insurance fraud here) When they got of their vehicle and approached his, he got out of his vehicle and pointed to the dash cam. They very quickly got into their vehicle and drove off.

So, I can see the purpose of having one. If some minor accident is not your fault (somebody hits the brakes for no reason, pulls an unsafe lane change when there is not room, etc), as long as the video can be kept and has a date and time on it, nobodys going to argue with a video that proves that its not your fault, but theirs