Rubbing noise when turning

hi, I bought my journey last march 2009, I can hear odd noise when locking the wheel either left or right stand still, I also exprienced the grinding noise twice only when turning while driving. what is the exact length of the old power steering reservoir compared to the new one?thanks

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The dealer said they found and applied the TSB for this. I still have the grinding noise, though it isn't as bad as it was before they "fixed" it, I have suspicions it will get worse over time.

I'll have to talk to them again. I am seriously considering finding a new dealership to help me.

• 2 weeks later...
The service bulletin for grind / rub noise while turning is released. TSB 19-002-08

For those of you that followed my advice for the interim fix and had the dealer overfill your reservoir, the next time you are at the dealer tell them to apply the TSB and get a taller reservoir as this will ensure the noise does not return.

The TSB for exhaust howl / growl will be released shortly. If you're also affected by that issue keep your eyes on that thread for the TSB number.

Thank you for your patience

Took ours in for the first oil change and we had two TSBs done to it....one for the exhaust bracket and the other for the power steering pump.

They had ot order parts and we brought the Joureny back a week later.....I was told they put in a new power steering pump to fix the left turn noise.

Whatever they did. it works cause the noise is gone from both items.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased my Journey in October of 2008, the sticker says it was assembled in July of 2008. I am getting the grinding noise when making left hand turns and occassionally while driving, most of the time while going up a slight hill, but even when driving on flat ground. Very annoying and very unacceptable since my vehicle is less than 8 months old. Even though they tell me it is not a safety issue, I am skeptical about driving it on vacation next month. I first took mine in for service in April 09'. They replaced the resevoir for a taller one. Went back in three weeks later for the same noise. They replaced the power steering pump and the resevoir again because metal shavings were in the power steering fluid. Three weeks later it was making the same noise so I decided to take it to another Dodge dealer. They replaced the power steering pump, the resevoir due to metal being in the power steering fluid and the rack & pinion system. A week later my vehicle is making the same noise. It is getting ready to go back in tomorrow. Fourth time is a charm and I am so glad that they made an annoucement on Friday that the Lemon Law will be honored. It is so disappointing when you believe you are doing the right thing by buying American and you get a faulty product and crappy customer service.

• 1 month later...

Mine went in today as the noise was getting worse and the whining noise was also getting worse and i will be picking it up tomorrow after they install my lo jack system, paint sealent and the fabric and carpet guard and we will see if them replacing the resorvoir will fix the issue....im not to positive that it will after looking at some of the posts on here.

Let me know if anyone has this done yet and if they have a solution yet!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

My noise is not necessarily a rubbing, although I do get a fast grab, grab, grab noise when I turn the wheel too far either direction (this is mostly when parallel parking or pulling out of a sharp parking spot, so barely moving).

I have had my Journey since July 08 and have not heard this particular noise until yesterday. I was making a sharp left turn onto a highway and I thought someone was "crashing" into us because it sounded like the highest pitch tire squeal noise I have ever heard. Guess what? It was coming from my front left tire!!!! So I am not getting a grinding noise, it is a high pitched screeching noise. AND it goes on the whole time I am turning until my wheels/tires are straight again. I have also heard three more times since then. Twice after that yesterday evening and then again this morning. Every time since then was a left "curve" in the road. Not a left hand turn into a different road. I haven't seen anyone here say there's was like that so I am wondering if mine is different.

Any ideas?

My noise is not necessarily a rubbing, although I do get a fast grab, grab, grab noise when I turn the wheel too far either direction (this is mostly when parallel parking or pulling out of a sharp parking spot, so barely moving).

I have had my Journey since July 08 and have not heard this particular noise until yesterday. I was making a sharp left turn onto a highway and I thought someone was "crashing" into us because it sounded like the highest pitch tire squeal noise I have ever heard. Guess what? It was coming from my front left tire!!!! So I am not getting a grinding noise, it is a high pitched screeching noise. AND it goes on the whole time I am turning until my wheels/tires are straight again. I have also heard three more times since then. Twice after that yesterday evening and then again this morning. Every time since then was a left "curve" in the road. Not a left hand turn into a different road. I haven't seen anyone here say there's was like that so I am wondering if mine is different.

Any ideas?

Can it be the wheel that rubs the plastic? Or is it a different kind of noise? Is it a constant noise?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

The problem I've been having is a hard rubbing noise when braking. At first it was sporadic but now its everytime I come to a stop. Hard or soft braking still the same noise. It sounds like the tire rubbing, like the tread rubbing against something. A fast howling grrrrrr that slows as the vehicle slows. The dealer is playing the guessing game. Help lol

• 8 months later...

new to the forum,

have a 2010 journey SXT, i have had a weird popping and clunking when turning left, usually when turning quickly or going over slight bumps.

went to the tire shop and got the tech to put it on the alignment rack. he got someone to sit in the vehicle and then he moved the plates that the frontt wheels were sitting on quickly to the left. the person in the inside felt the popping, clunking feeling in the steering wheel and the tech under the vehicle saw the upper strut bearing bind up. he said that while turning left, the bearing would kind of bind half way through the turn, then go, bind then go bind then go. that was the popping and clunking feeling in the steering wheel. and the defective bearing was from the left strut.

i don't know if the dealer will fail the part and replace b/c it doesn't do it all the time and not too bad now.

any thoughts? might be something to consider

• 4 months later...

The rubbing / grinding noise you are describing comes from cavitation within the power steering pump. Fluid inside the power steering reservoir sloshes during turns uncovering the pump inlet port that in turn causes the pump to suck air. Pumps make bad noises when trying to move air and hence the rubbing / grinding noise. Issue can be corrected by increasing the fluid level in the pump and purging all the air from the system.

We developed the following interim service fix so take vehicle to a Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep dealer and ask them to refer to STAR Online case #K10403532. TSB will be issued in September.

If this fails to correct the problem. Please re post. I want to fix your vehicle.

Case Number K10403532

Vehicle Issue Owner complains of a honk, groan or similar noise while turning. May occur during right or left hand turns but seems to be more prevalent while making left hand turns.

System or Component Noise,Groan,Honk;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Group 19 - Steering;Turn / Turning;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously

Recommendation If this occurs, before replacing steering system components please perform the following Engrg-recommended steps (updated 7/28/08): 1) Fill steering reservoir to MAX line plus 4mm. 2) Using Mitivac hand pump apply 20-25 in-Hg vacuum and leave for 3 minutes (engine off). 3) Release vacuum pump. 4) Start vehicle and perform 5 lock to lock turns (NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops). 5) If fluid level drops below 4mm above MAX, repeat steps 1-4. 6) Test drive vehicle performing hard left turns while accelerating and decelerating to ensure vehicle does not exhibit honk. 7) If vehicle still exhibits left turn honk noise, repeat Steps 1-7. (NOTE: If there is a large amount of air ingested into the steering system, this Procedure may take up to 6 hours to complete).

I had the same kind of problem. It sounded like i was low on power steering fluid but I checked under the hood and the fluid level was ok. The dealer purge the power steering system of any air in the system and now it seems ok. I wonder if the power steering pump is cavitating and causing the fluid to bubble or foam up and causing the the air in the system.

we had a snag with respect to the turning left noise. the power steering return line has started leaking and the noise has been getting worse, especially when the fluid level is in question.

is there a tsb for this problem in canada. i would like to hand this in while i go for warranty work and resolving the power steering line. although, everytime i bring in the vehicle and describe the problem, they seem to never duplicate it or find no problem.

thanks

we had a snag with respect to the turning left noise. the power steering return line has started leaking and the noise has been getting worse, especially when the fluid level is in question.

is there a tsb for this problem in canada. i would like to hand this in while i go for warranty work and resolving the power steering line. although, everytime i bring in the vehicle and describe the problem, they seem to never duplicate it or find no problem.

thanks

I am pretty sure there is a recall for the hoses. My parents just got one for their avenger (for the hoses) and it listed the journey on the sheet.

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/SEARCH/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&mk=1849!6400!2256!5115!4864!3714!2444&md=JOURNEY&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0

Steering is in the list...

update,

the dealer got it wrong and it was the return line. they replaced it under warranty and it seems to be alright for now. but now i am getting the rubbing grinding noise turning left. i think that since i had to drive with a leak, i think air got into the system. when i got the hose replaced i told the service advisor to comment that i believe that there is air in the system. he noted that he topped up the fluid and noted that i would need a few days of driving to purge the system.

i did follow mjm48's advise as per his STAR Onlline case # K10403532 where it calls to fill steering fluid above fill line. on the first day, it has made the noise, hopefully in the next couple of days it will resolve the problem.

does anyone have the tsb 19-001-09 or 19-002-08, in pdf or scanned? or where on the reservoir can i find the part number to see if mine is the updated one or the original one that is too small?

thanks

sounds to me like the power steering pump is cavitating due to the air trapped inside of it. Trying to get it to resolve itself is hit or miss as the pump has an easier time pulling air through it rather than the thicker p/s fluid. Thats why they would use vaccuum pressure to get the air out of the system.

hope it all gets sorted

• 1 month later...

sounds to me like the power steering pump is cavitating due to the air trapped inside of it. Trying to get it to resolve itself is hit or miss as the pump has an easier time pulling air through it rather than the thicker p/s fluid. Thats why they would use vaccuum pressure to get the air out of the system.

hope it all gets sorted

i have found the tsb's and brought them into the dealer today. the service rep said that they know about the problem and say it could be the filter in the reservoir housing, non replaceable. i told them about the pwr steering return hose replacement nd the tech not bleading the system and resulted in air being sucked into the system, leading to the noise being more pronounced.

here is the tsb's

i have found the tsb's and brought them into the dealer today. the service rep said that they know about the problem and say it could be the filter in the reservoir housing, non replaceable. i told them about the pwr steering return hose replacement nd the tech not bleading the system and resulted in air being sucked into the system, leading to the noise being more pronounced.

here is the tsb's

can anyone tell me how to post on the forum the tsb's? I can't seem to post them here because the file is too large.

thanks

• 2 months later...

The problem I've been having is a hard rubbing noise when braking. At first it was sporadic but now its everytime I come to a stop. Hard or soft braking still the same noise. It sounds like the tire rubbing, like the tread rubbing against something. A fast howling grrrrrr that slows as the vehicle slows. The dealer is playing the guessing game. Help lol

• 2 months later...

I assume this is straight line stopping with no steering involved.

If it only happens with brakes applied I would think that they are

the source.You no doubt have had the pads/rotors checked for

wear and warping at the dealer and/or independent brake shop.

Try using the transmission to slow (gearing down) to eliminate

the drive train from the suspected source.

If it's a '09-'10 a complete brake job may be your only alternative

to resolving.

I assume this is straight line stopping with no steering involved.

If it only happens with brakes applied I would think that they are

the source.You no doubt have had the pads/rotors checked for

wear and warping at the dealer and/or independent brake shop.

Try using the transmission to slow (gearing down) to eliminate

the drive train from the suspected source.

If it's a '09-'10 a complete brake job may be your only alternative

to resolving.

Thanks Bigtsr for replying. I've had the brakes replaced twice in the past 2 yrs. The first time was when it was 3 months old and after the pads warranty expired. I can't imagine it being the drivetrain, imagine spinning the tire on your bike and trying to stop it with the stick rubbing and vibrating on the tread. Starts out fast sounding until it slows and comes to a stop. They've taken it for a drive and heard it but don't have a clue on what it could be.

• 4 months later...

Well I've had the left turning noise from the power steering come and go intermittently for some time now. I've taken it to the dealer and 2 different technicians have heard this noise. They did the usual vaccum test to check for air in the system but the power steering noise would still happen so now the dealer has decided to replace the whole rack and pinion along with new tie rod ends under warranty. I really hope this works!