Rubbing noise when turning

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had my Journey about six weeks and notice a distinct "rubbing" noise when I turn left. My service center "could not duplicate" the noise and found nothing out of place when they checked under the vehicle.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

:unsure:

Yup same problem here,

been almost the same amount of time, i first noticed it about 3 weeks ago.

I also have a squeak sound coming from my driverside rear wheel when i hit certain bumps

It sounds like everyone is experiencing a noise when turning left. Initially, I thought it was something to do with the power steering, but the more people are talking about it, it sounds as if some part of the exhaust system is momentarily coming in contact with the front suspension or something. Since it won't do it when stopped, I'm guessing that the motor "leans" slightly on the engine mounts when exposed to lateral force (when cornering) that clearance between the exhaust and the front suspension components becomes an issue.

Made my dealer service look at it. They noted the noise and also reported that the other Journey's on the lot did the same.

As for your rear squeak, look elsewhere in these forums, someone posted a picture of what to grease to make it stop.

• 2 weeks later...

Just trying to keep this thread going. Has anybody figured this out yet. I wonder if this sound is related to the recall that states the wiring harness can come into contact with the left transaxle? Please post if you have heard anything

Just trying to keep this thread going. Has anybody figured this out yet. I wonder if this sound is related to the recall that states the wiring harness can come into contact with the left transaxle? Please post if you have heard anything

I wouldn't think that this is related to the recall as I have the same noise on my 4cyl model, and it wasn't affected by the recall. I notice the sound mostly when cutting the wheels left to back out of a parking place.

I've had my Journey about six weeks and notice a distinct "rubbing" noise when I turn left. My service center "could not duplicate" the noise and found nothing out of place when they checked under the vehicle.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

:unsure:

robinjoe-

We started experiencing rubbing noises with our Journey after about 3 weeks, we've had it in the shop 6 times over the last 2 1/2 months, the noise has been verified by 2 technicians, 1 service manager, and 1 field operations manager, but no solution... they've replaced the power steering pump, and the rack and pinion. noise is still there. they sent out a Chrysler field tech but no repairs were made.

We are now engaged in a buy back process with Chrysler.... and only 1700 miles on the Journey.

robinjoe-

We started experiencing rubbing noises with our Journey after about 3 weeks, we've had it in the shop 6 times over the last 2 1/2 months, the noise has been verified by 2 technicians, 1 service manager, and 1 field operations manager, but no solution... they've replaced the power steering pump, and the rack and pinion. noise is still there. they sent out a Chrysler field tech but no repairs were made.

We are now engaged in a buy back process with Chrysler.... and only 1700 miles on the Journey.

I had mine at the dealership last week for them to look at the humming sound and also mentioned the rubbing noise when turning left....they told me something that baffles my mind. He said that it was normal and that there is "stopper" that is making the noise....not sure what a stopper is but it seems odd that there would be something there to make a noise when you turn left but turning right does nothing....I think they have no idea what it is and made something up....in my opinion.

He said that it was normal and that there is "stopper" that is making the noise.

Well, there is a stopper, as there is in many vehicles. Contact is only made with it (them) when the steering is full over in one direction or the other. As you probably know, you are hearing the sound at positions that are far from the extremes (locks) of the steering position, so what you're being told is not correct.

I've been doing some more observation and experimenting and I'm coming more to the conclusion now that the noise has very little to do with the steering system itself, but rather a clearance issue between the engine/exhaust and the steering/front suspension. I'm thinking that something on the engine or the exhaust system might be coming into contact with something in the front suspension when the vehicle is exposed to lateral forces, when turning. I've been able to get the noise when I go through an intersection in which the road I'm crossing has a crown on it, so you get the quick "stomach drop" effect.

I'm postulating that when the vehicle is turned left, the engine rocks slightly to the right, raising the left side and bringing some part of it into contact with the front suspension. The stomach drop would also cause the engine to rise slightly.

I sort of wish I had a car lift at my disposal. Eventually the wear from this contact (if it is what it is) would become visible.

I finally heard this same noise on my trip back. 2400km on the clock.

Driving on the highway for a few hours, and pulling into a rest stop for a stretch and making a moderate (not sharp) left turn into the parking area I heard the noise. I was NOT in a full left turn, but I was moving pretty fast. It didn't sound like a rub, but more of a vibration, or a cavitation as mentioned earlier.

On the way out of the rest stop, I could not get it to do it again. I haven't heard it since. It doesn't do it with a full left turn though.?.?.?

Rick.

On the way out of the rest stop, I could not get it to do it again. I haven't heard it since. It doesn't do it with a full left turn though.?.?.?

It isn't how much you turn to the left, it's how hard (fast) you take that left. Take a left at a moderate speed (where you feel your weight shifting to the right) and you should be able to replicate it.

I had mine at the dealership last week for them to look at the humming sound and also mentioned the rubbing noise when turning left....they told me something that baffles my mind. He said that it was normal and that there is "stopper" that is making the noise....not sure what a stopper is but it seems odd that there would be something there to make a noise when you turn left but turning right does nothing....I think they have no idea what it is and made something up....in my opinion.

crepead-

I was getting responses like that for the first '"5" visits to the service department, each tech I spoke with and demonstrated the noise for gave me a different answer. It was while making gradual left hand turns, at speeds from 10-35 mph that the noise could be heard.

I was told it was a power steering noise, a suspension bushing noise, an engine exhaust rubbing noise. the power steering pump was replace, the rack and pinion was replaced. still the same noise. I was told by the operations manager it was " Not a safety issue, but a performance issue" so the dealership was not allowed to perform any further repairs on our Journey until Chrysler techs were allowed to examine the vehicle.

I refused to allow my wife to drive a vehicle with rubbing noises while turning, and have been in a rental car since July 1st, Chrysler backpedaled and agreed to start the buyback/replacement process on July 3rd. it is now the 17th, and we have heard from the mediator at ISG (Impartial Service Group) "1" time, on the 9th and haven't returned my calls since. They arent making any effort in getting us into a replacement car, it almost seems as if they are dragging this out in attempts to have us settle on a lesser vehicle, or a vehicle we dont want as our dealer keeps pushing Sebrings and Calibers on us.

yesterday in the mail, we got a recall notice that the engine wiring harness may chafe on the left transaxle mount and cause an engine fire.

That seems to be a "Safety Issue, not a Performance Issue" to me.

My family has been Chrysler customers for many years, we have purchased 6 Chrysler vehicles in the last 4 years, you would think they would want to keep a customer :rant2:

If you are hearing a high pitched whine type noise while acceleration from a stop and turning, and your car is a 3.5L V6 built before 2/29/08, ask the dealer to perform TSB 19-001-08.

The build date can be found on the Monroney label (window sticker that contains MPG and option information) If you don't have your window sticker look at the label on the shut face of the drivers front door for the MDH (Month Day Hour). It is given in MMDDHH format. For example an MDH of 021501 means the vehicle was built February 15 during the first hour of production.

Please post again and let me know if the TSB corrected the noise.

If your vehicle was built after 2/29/08 and you have the rubbing noise please post again also, I'd like to help you and the dealer diagnose and fix this issue.

Thank you.

If you are hearing a high pitched whine type noise while acceleration from a stop and turning, and your car is a 3.5L V6 built before 2/29/08, ask the dealer to perform TSB 19-001-08.

I talked with the service department and I believe that we pretty much ruled this TSB out. Mine was built in late April, and the noise isn't a whine so much as a grinding/cavitation sounding noise. There are at least two forum members that have posted that they had the power steering pump replaced and it didn't remedy the noise. The dealership has affirmed that the noise is present on other brand new Journeys on their lot.

The noise isn't continuous, either. It comes in short bursts of maybe a half second in duration at most, with one to several bursts experienced during a left turn taken at a moderate to fast speed (it doesn't do it if you take the turn gently where you can't feel the effect of the turn). Also, the noise isn't a squeak. The source of that noise is from something in the suspension that several forum members have eliminated with a little well-placed grease.

We got a Journey for my wife, and we've noticed the same rubbing (or almost grinding) sound too. Only during left turns, and usually when turning left and accelerating. We custom ordered the car in April, so it was built in mid-late April.

We've had a couple other electrical issues, and it looks like the rack on the roof was installed backwards, so we are planning to take it in for all of these issues. If they have no fix for the rubbing noise, I figure we've got the lifetime warranty on the drivetrain, so if the trans falls out, we'll have found the problem and they'll have to fix it.

Rick

Radon and Rick C - Thanks for the detailed follow up information. I found two vehicles with this condition in our internal fast feedback fleet. We'll take a deep dive into these cars to find the source of the noise. Help is on the way. I'll update the forum when I learn more.

• 3 weeks later...

The rubbing / grinding noise you are describing comes from cavitation within the power steering pump. Fluid inside the power steering reservoir sloshes during turns uncovering the pump inlet port that in turn causes the pump to suck air. Pumps make bad noises when trying to move air and hence the rubbing / grinding noise. Issue can be corrected by increasing the fluid level in the pump and purging all the air from the system.

We developed the following interim service fix so take vehicle to a Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep dealer and ask them to refer to STAR Online case #K10403532. TSB will be issued in September.

If this fails to correct the problem. Please re post. I want to fix your vehicle.

Case Number K10403532

Vehicle Issue Owner complains of a honk, groan or similar noise while turning. May occur during right or left hand turns but seems to be more prevalent while making left hand turns.

System or Component Noise,Groan,Honk;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Group 19 - Steering;Turn / Turning;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously

Recommendation If this occurs, before replacing steering system components please perform the following Engrg-recommended steps (updated 7/28/08): 1) Fill steering reservoir to MAX line plus 4mm. 2) Using Mitivac hand pump apply 20-25 in-Hg vacuum and leave for 3 minutes (engine off). 3) Release vacuum pump. 4) Start vehicle and perform 5 lock to lock turns (NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops). 5) If fluid level drops below 4mm above MAX, repeat steps 1-4. 6) Test drive vehicle performing hard left turns while accelerating and decelerating to ensure vehicle does not exhibit honk. 7) If vehicle still exhibits left turn honk noise, repeat Steps 1-7. (NOTE: If there is a large amount of air ingested into the steering system, this Procedure may take up to 6 hours to complete).

The rubbing / grinding noise you are describing comes from cavitation within the power steering pump. Fluid inside the power steering reservoir sloshes during turns uncovering the pump inlet port that in turn causes the pump to suck air. Pumps make bad noises when trying to move air and hence the rubbing / grinding noise. Issue can be corrected by increasing the fluid level in the pump and purging all the air from the system.

We developed the following interim service fix so take vehicle to a Dodge / Chrysler / Jeep dealer and ask them to refer to STAR Online case #K10403532. TSB will be issued in September.

If this fails to correct the problem. Please re post. I want to fix your vehicle.

Case Number K10403532

Vehicle Issue Owner complains of a honk, groan or similar noise while turning. May occur during right or left hand turns but seems to be more prevalent while making left hand turns.

System or Component Noise,Groan,Honk;Customer Concern (No DTCs);Group 19 - Steering;Turn / Turning;Yes - Intermittent,Yes - Continuously

Recommendation If this occurs, before replacing steering system components please perform the following Engrg-recommended steps (updated 7/28/08): 1) Fill steering reservoir to MAX line plus 4mm. 2) Using Mitivac hand pump apply 20-25 in-Hg vacuum and leave for 3 minutes (engine off). 3) Release vacuum pump. 4) Start vehicle and perform 5 lock to lock turns (NOTE: Do not hold the steering wheel at the stops). 5) If fluid level drops below 4mm above MAX, repeat steps 1-4. 6) Test drive vehicle performing hard left turns while accelerating and decelerating to ensure vehicle does not exhibit honk. 7) If vehicle still exhibits left turn honk noise, repeat Steps 1-7. (NOTE: If there is a large amount of air ingested into the steering system, this Procedure may take up to 6 hours to complete).

My wife just took mine for the second oil change and they still didn't know anything. Will this TSB reach dealers by September?

CRH47 - Did you refer the dealer to the STAR online case number? Its not as good as a TSB but its the best I can do quickly. If you did refer dealer to the case number and he didn't do the work, please post the name of the dealer and the last 8 of your VIN (9TXXXXXX). I'll talk to the dealer.

Sam - When the dealer replaced the pump he had to drain the system then evac and fill it again. You heard the noise initially after the pump replace because there was probably still a little air left in the system. The air will purge itself out after a short time and that is why the noise went away. Check your fluid level in the reservoir. If its 4mm above the max level you'll be OK.

In September we will introduce a taller power steering fluid reservoir that will make the system much less sensitive to fill levels. We'll revise the TSB at that time to instruct the dealers to replace the fluid reservoir. In the meantime, your steering is fine and will remain fine. The noise you are hearing is cavitation noise.

I'll believe the steering is fine & will remain fine when I no longer here or feel the noise. Can anyone say with any certainty that enough air won't be sucked in by the current pump to cause the steering to bind at a bad time? Who does Chrysler hire to drive/test these vehicles prior to releasing the model for sale to the public? It seems that since this problem is occurring within the first several hundred miles maybe someone wasn't doing there job or did the test drivers report this problem only to have it ignored.

I will definitely copy your Star notes and take it to our dealer re the left hand turn noise. The problem up here is the TSB's seem to come weeks or months after the US release so they don't get paid for it.

But in any case I will give them the information since I'm waiting for the brake fluid switch in the master cyllinder to come in too.

Thanks for the help.

The Stewie

Case Number K10403532

mjm48-

I'm not sure what your relationship is with Dodge- but I am so excited to try this, and, if it works, I will buy you a six pack! I'm going to call a different dealer in my area (Burgunder Dodge in Bridgeville, PA is a JOKE) and mention all of this thread. Thank you SO much! I'll keep you posted! :dance:

Sharon